Multiple outs from Reason to a mixing desk

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ronin

21 Mar 2015

I was hoping maybe some of you might be able to help me out. Im soon going to redo my studio and im looking for a way to have multiple outs from reason to a mixing desk or alternatively physical control over the reason mixer.
What I really need is real physical faders, mutes, sends, etc
I have an akai mpd32 which i use to control stuff in reason but its not enough to do what i need.

Can someone recommend a soundcard with lots of outputs (dont need more then 2 ins), or some kind of controller that work? most controllers ive found dont have enough stuff per channel strip. I really need sends to dub mix :P

kloeckno

21 Mar 2015

The Behringer BCF2000 is pretty good and has motorized faders, but only one rotary knob per channel. So basically only one send per channel, but you could set it up differently and do a few channels at a time and use some faders for the sends.

A real mixer with a lot of channels and sends would be somewhat pricey, then you still need the soundcard with multiple outputs, and using the sends and returns with a DAW is tricky.

Ronin

21 Mar 2015

The Behringer BCF2000 is not much better then my akai mpd32. 
I also have a mixing desk, 24 track soundcraft, but i need a good multiple out soundcard. Something like 16 outs, but i think thats not possible. Maybe I could use 2 soundcards?

How do people mix on a real(ish) desk from computer daws nowadays? i only used real hardware before.

ScuzzyEye

21 Mar 2015

Ronin wrote:Can someone recommend a soundcard with lots of outputs (dont need more then 2 ins), or some kind of controller that work? most controllers ive found dont have enough stuff per channel strip. I really need sends to dub mix :P
I'd look for a controller. Almost every interface with multiple outs is going to have a matching number of ins. Even the one I have, the Focusrite Saffire PRO40, which only has 8 analog outputs, also has 8 ins, and wasn't the cheapest thing to buy. It has ADAT digital ins and outs, where I can add another ADC/DAC and gets 8 more pair. But is 16 channels enough for what you're wanting to do? Again, not cheap for what's only the first part, you'd also need a 16 channel mixing board with physical sends.

Yeah, a controller may be the best place to start looking. If you don't need motorized controllers, and don't mind only controlling 8 at a time, but can page through the next set, the Nektar Panorama P1 might work. http://www.nektartech.com/PRODUCTS/Panorama-P1 It's the same price as the Behringer mentioned above.

ScuzzyEye

21 Mar 2015

Ronin wrote:I also have a mixing desk, 24 track soundcraft, but i need a good multiple out soundcard. Something like 16 outs, but i think thats not possible. Maybe I could use 2 soundcards?

How do people mix on a real(ish) desk from computer daws nowadays? i only used real hardware before.
Two sound cards is problematic, because their clocks won't sync. You really need one.

Full sized studio set-ups use things like Dante Audio Networking. https://www.audinate.com/

Focusrite makes that too: http://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio- ... ces/rednet

What I was talking about the the PRO 40, you can add their Octopre http://us.focusrite.com/mic-pres/octopre-mkii and get 16/16 analog jacks. But you're going to be right at about $1000, and have those 16 inputs that you don't need.

EDIT: There's also MADI for adding many inputs or outputs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MADI

Ronin

21 Mar 2015

wow, i had no idea this would be such an expensive/complicated process.
Thanks alot for all the info, but none of this is really solving my problem besides shelling out for a really expensive soundcard.
I still need to do some looking to work out how i can mix on real hardware.
The P1 is nice, but doesnt do enough.

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

if you are talking from a pc point of view (don't know about mac)
pick up an older emu card second hand maybe a 18/20 or 18/20m
you`ll have plenty in`s and out`s to play with.
and best still you can split all the stereo outs to mono left and rights to double all them outs works a treat.
and best part is ive seen them go for no more than 40 quid all in on ebay etc etc.
one problem you`ll have if on pc is getting it set up driver wise if you running 64bit.
but they are there and easy to get just make the windows settings match etc etc then ya all good.
and you get non cpu dependant vst plugs on the card too bonus.
I still think for the money nothing touches them still to this day. ;) .
google pics of it to see what ya get.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=emu+1 ... 71&bih=709

SoulState

21 Mar 2015

I'm been using this with Reason for a good few years. Works so well with the SSL mixer... actually works on all Reason's devices but I lock to the mixer and just use it for that. So liberating not having to use the mouse to adjust Faders, Eq, Comp, FX sends etc etc...   MOTORISED FADERS TOO!

Has 10 audio ins and 16 outs.   Adat, SPDIF, MIDI in/out.

Great mixer very sturdy.  M-audio have discontinued it but you can still pick them up on ebay for around £250.  Bargain! When you consider buying a midi controller alone will cost around £300. And then an 8 in 8 out audio interface might set you back another £300 ~ £1000+ depending the quality of course.

Attachments
m-audio-projectmix-i-o-21496.jpg
m-audio-projectmix-i-o-21496.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
:reason:

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

SoulState wrote:I'm been using this with Reason for a good few years. Works so well with the SSL mixer... actually works on all Reason's devices but I lock to the mixer and just use it for that. So liberating not having to use the mouse to adjust Faders, Eq, Comp, FX sends etc etc...   MOTORISED FADERS TOO!

Has 10 audio ins and 16 outs.   Adat, SPDIF, MIDI in/out.

Great mixer very sturdy.  M-audio have discontinued it but you can still pick them up on ebay for around £250.  Bargain! When you consider buying a midi controller alone will cost around £300. And then an 8 in 8 out audio interface might set you back another £300 ~ £1000+ depending the quality of course.

but from what I`m reading that he has put second post he did he says he all ready has a 24 track mixing desk so he`s looking for a card to feed his 24 track desk.. ;)

SoulState

21 Mar 2015

The Projectmix (the mixer above) is a soundcard. It's not an analogue mixer.  The O/P needs a way of getting sound in/out of his computer ie. an interface.  Thats what the Projectmix is.  Its not a stand alone mixer; it only works with ones computer (via firewire).

...time for Zzzz ;)
:reason:

Ronin

21 Mar 2015

Thanks alot guys, both of those ideas are pretty workable for me. I dont mind not using my old analogue desk if i can get a good enough controller. This one is the best affordable one ive seen, but i would still like some more buttons and rotaries. I am on win7 64bit but that emu 1820m does indeed look nice. Compatibility could be dodgy though. 

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

Ronin wrote:Thanks alot guys, both of those ideas are pretty workable for me. I dont mind not using my old analogue desk if i can get a good enough controller. This one is the best affordable one ive seen, but i would still like some more buttons and rotaries. I am on win7 64bit but that emu 1820m does indeed look nice. Compatibility could be dodgy though. 
im using two emu cards right now an 0404 and an 1820 in win 7 machines all working perfectly well here m8 ;)

QVprod

21 Mar 2015

Ronin wrote:Thanks alot guys, both of those ideas are pretty workable for me. I dont mind not using my old analogue desk if i can get a good enough controller. This one is the best affordable one ive seen, but i would still like some more buttons and rotaries. I am on win7 64bit but that emu 1820m does indeed look nice. Compatibility could be dodgy though. 
You're not going to find a controller that integrates with software exactly like a hardware mixer does. It just doesn't exist (if it does it very new and costs very well over $20,000)....well maybe the new Avid S6 does if you have the monster budget for that... https://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-s6

I use a Avid C24 at work with Protools, and have also used and Avid D-Command and those are about the closest you can get (with Pro Tools) and they still require paging to access different parameters. Your best bet is to adapt to the idea that midi controllers require paging or stick to mixing analog which of course means buying D/A converters/interfaces with the caveat of having to recall mixes manually (some people don't mind this).

Edit: There is the option of selling off your Soundcraft and buying something like a Behringer X32 or Allen and Heath Qu-24. That would give you the feel of mixing on a console along with automatic mix recalls as it will act as an audio interface and let you stream the Reason outputs to individual channels.

If you choose to remain in the box, my recommendations would be the Nektar P1, Behringer X-touch, Mackie Control Universal, or Avid Artist mix. I believe the P1 is the best for controlling Reason's SSL though.

Ronin

23 Mar 2015

Once again, thanks alot to everyone who offered info. Its been very helpful. I now have to do some research into what will fit my studio best, but I now have somewhere to start.

• Information