Anyone with R8 & Nektar Panorama?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rook

21 Mar 2015

I've recently gone through one of those big transitional phases, gear wise. Sold off all my hardware synths, drum machines, etc. Bought/traded/sold smart this time, so I actually came out ahead a little lol. But now I'm wanting/needing that tactile feel back again...can't decide if I want to go with more hardware stuff or if Panorama/Reason might be enough.

I'm still on R7 and finding that one of the biggest annoyances for me is navigating through files and folders, using the mouse constantly. It just completely takes me out of the zone. I think I might be better off with a dedicated hardware drum machine and synth for the vital parts. I'm looking into the Elektron stuff (A4 and Rytm, specifically). Not necessarily to get better sound (although I love the sounds they're capable of) but just to get more immediate control. But if the Panorama is capable of a similar hands-on kinda thing, maybe it would be good enough...?

I'm actually really happy with the sounds/instruments I have now in Reason, especially since I got Antidote and some good drum refills. 

So, my question is, to you guys using the Panorama: I understand that R8 actually gives even more control over instrument selection and stuff, without touching the mouse. How much can you actually do with just the Panorama? Are you able to browse through sample folders to load onto a pad in Kong, for instance? Or is it only whole Kong patches?

For kicks and giggles, here's one of my recent tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/timesake/state-of-the-art

altron

21 Mar 2015

I use the Panorama P6, among some other controllers. I also use quite a couple of hardware synths and effects.

The Panorama offers a lot of mouse-free controlling for Reason but be prepared to step through a lot of menus for throughout control. Personally I'm not using it to full effect because it's too tedious in my opinion. The keyboard itself is a decent master keyboard (that's what I'm using it for). Also please note that the Panorama's controls leave a lot to be desired for in terms of quality. The faders and gum buttons feel rather cheap.

I'm also using a Mackie MCU Pro which is dedicated to the mixing section of Reason. This controller is in quite a different league quality-wise: Built like a tank, all faders motorized, quality, tactile feel, etc.

Personally I would never sell my hardware gear in exchange for software only. I could go into a long debate that hardware just sounds better but just lets stop here. ;)
Trap is where music goes to die.

altron

21 Mar 2015

PS: To answer your question about the depths of control with Panorama: No you can't load single sounds into Kong with it. It only allows for stepping through patches of a device and to control the various knobs/buttons/faders of a device. You will have to use the mouse and keyboard for more in depth editing.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Rook

21 Mar 2015

altron wrote:I use the Panorama P6, among some other controllers. I also use quite a couple of hardware synths and effects.

The Panorama offers a lot of mouse-free controlling for Reason but be prepared to step through a lot of menus for throughout control. Personally I'm not using it to full effect because it's too tedious in my opinion. The keyboard itself is a decent master keyboard (that's what I'm using it for). Also please note that the Panorama's controls leave a lot to be desired for in terms of quality. The faders and gum buttons feel rather cheap.

I'm also using a Mackie MCU Pro which is dedicated to the mixing section of Reason. This controller is in quite a different league quality-wise: Built like a tank, all faders motorized, quality, tactile feel, etc.

Personally I would never sell my hardware gear in exchange for software only. I could go into a long debate that hardware just sounds better but just lets stop here. ;)
Thanks a lot for the reply, man. That's kinda what I was afraid of...most of the videos I've seen on the Panorama make it seem like it might still be a bit tedious to work with.

I think getting back to a few dedicated hardware pieces, augmented by what I've got in Reason, might be the way to go.

But, I'd still be interested to hear from anyone else who might have input on this.

EnochLight

21 Mar 2015

I've been on a Panorama P4 and Reason since the P4 first came out.  Simply put: it is hands down the best controller you can purchase for Reason integration (and if you work with any of the other supported DAW that Nektar integrates, it's just icing on the cake).  There is a slight learning curve, and all device menus are slightly buried by access of the main controller knob, but it allows you to treat Reason - via your Panorama - as a hardware workstation.  All native devices are supported, and a boat load of RE's are also supported.  In Reason 8, you can actually create devices/RE directly from the Panorama without having to go through a QWERTY script (which is another awesome feature).

I still find myself referencing my computer screen, but that's just how I like to work.  And no, you cannot do what you propose on Kong (not yet anyway).   ;)

The Panorama P4/P6 is highly recommended.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Rook

23 Mar 2015

Thanks again for the responses. Just wanted to give a quick update:

Went by Sam Ash to mess around for a bit today. They actually had a P4 setup in the back, so I got a chance to mess with it a bit. Honestly, I was not at all impressed with the feel of the keys on it. I was expecting it to feel much better than it did. Kinda surprising. They had that noisy clack to them that I can't stand. The Novation boards feel MUCH better to me, but I hate their Automap software.

I played quite a few hardware synths too. Really loved the sound of the King Korg. It's ugly as sin, but sounds great. Little too big for me though, I think. Really wanting a 49 key.

I'm very tempted by the Nord Lead A1. Great sounds and interface, seems really versatile, well built, perfect size, 4 part multi timbral... But pricey for sure. Not sure if I can justify it for "just" a VA synth. We'll see...lol

gak

23 Mar 2015

I feel compelled to add......

I have an impact 61. The reason I bought it instead of the panorama is because I thought it would just do "too much" and for someone like me I'd just say f it and mouse around.

However, the main reason I wanted to chime in is because I have an "impulse 49" and wanted to make sure you understand a couple of things.

-The keys are pretty good, but they are kinda noisy too. AND they have "aftertouchidis" which means you'll be editing after touch a lot (it just triggers)
-The pads on the impulse mostly suck wads of a.....s 
-As mentioned, automap blows compared to Nektar integration. They are SO FAR apart it's ridiculous. Nektar integration is DREAMY with reason (and studio one) even though it's not nearly as good as the panorama would be.

If you are in the US and REALLY want an impulse 49......pm me, I'll sell you mine (in really good condition at a very fair price) but frankly, I'm not giving up my impact 61 since I made the switch to reason. 

syncanonymous

24 Mar 2015

I just bought a new controller, so I'll chime in:-)

Complaints about the Impulse pads is the main reason why I didn't buy one this past Sunday. I needed a new controller in a hurry this past weekend and the footprint requirements were that it physically must be pretty small. At my local pmt (music store), the store rep (super nice people in  that store :) ) was pushing me at Impulse. I pretty much went in to spend £100 on a M-Audio Axiom 25. 

I spent 90 min or so in the store, trying out as many little controllers as they had. Their display computer was on the fritz, so that didn't really help. I knew I didn't want a mini device jumping all over the desk when hitting pads, etc. 

The Axiom really suited me in many ways. Firstly, I want to use midi, not usb. Secondly, the power supply I already had worked with the Axiom. The Axiom display is HUGE and reports CC info on said display straight out of the box. Huge display is important for me, these old eyes gettin time fer bifocals. 16 pads is nice, too. The main down side is the Axiom is massive, no way is it gonna fit on my current desk and would be a hassle to travel with (which I do a lot).

Then we tried the Roland A-500 pro thinking about ordering the 300 with its 32keys. I love Roland gear, but this felt too cheap to me. I also surmised 32 keys would be too long for my needs. plus it is £155 and I would have to order it. Impulses and Novation gear was all over the displays, so I'd seen that stuff. There was a panorama p4 or 6 on the floor everyone was just stepping over. I wasn't overly impressed with the controls on that as many have said here.

Then, the rep dug around in a pile of boxes and brought out an Akai MpK225. The build quality on the knobs, buttons, chassis and especially the pitch and mod wheels are miles better than the others we'd tried. The size of the MpK225 is really the deal-breaker for me, but the display, as well, is like pro rack gear I am used to. The pads seem a bit stiffer than the Axiom. I also felt the keys were a bit stiffer on the 225 than the Axiom; my wife thought they were about the same- nevertheless they are very close piano key wise. The price, tho, was blowing my budget apart at £175, but I am a sucker for quality. The down side is I needed to get a 6v power supply. The one thing that makes the Akai feel cheap is the microscopic on/off switch, which is the worst put of the build, IMO.

Integration with Reason 8 hasn't been seamless at all; there is a Reason preset, but the midi routing game is on for me. It's not horrible, I am getting there. Also, unlike the Axiom, the Akai display does not show CC info (I'd especially like to monitor velocity). Also, I was aware of the new M-Audio Code coming out, so I am covering the interim until such a time as to get a larger controller.

I was concerned that the MpK225 might lose parameter routing after reboot (as all my old Evolution stuff (MK-249C & UC33) does), but so far, so good. I should also say that Reason 8 did not detect the MpK225 when I set up control surfaces in Reason, I had to manually set it up. So, the Reason integration isn't even close to seamless p'n'p.

Thanks to all y'all for this thread, it's a wealth of great info:-)  
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

dmcghee

26 Mar 2015

I would wait and check out the new Akai Advance Keyboards and see how it works as a controller for Reason. Plus I believe it would be a great way to use VSTis inside Reason using the EMI.

Attachments
Advance_keyboard_header.jpg
Advance_keyboard_header.jpg (254.97 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

• Information