There must be some button I don't know about . . .

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Phil513

18 Mar 2015

So, i have a song partly done, and I want to play along with it to figure out a guitar track.

I create an audio track, and I hear the guitar.  But when I actually play the track (to play along with it), no sound from the audio track.  Unless I hit record, then I can hear it again. It is only silent when I hit play.

I'm doing something dumb, aren't I? :oops:

chimp_spanner

18 Mar 2015

There's a little speaker icon next to the record arm button that will enable you to monitor while you play. Reason turns this off by default so you can hear what's on the track after you've recorded it :)

Phil513

18 Mar 2015

I thought i clicked that little speaker to no avail, but perhaps not.

I'll try again when i get home, thanks much!

Namahs Amrak

18 Mar 2015

In 7.1 if you have the audio track activated, if you add another instrument to the rack, it often deselect the audio. A bit of a pain.
My Words are my ART

gak

18 Mar 2015

What's puzzling to me is that you can't hear the recorded track. If the monitor was on then that would explain it. But reason is usually the opposite of that, where when there is a recording, the monitor is kicked off unless you press it again (which, kills the recorded part)

I have a really off the wall thought. Is it possible that between some of the mute/solos (which you can easily forget between the arrangement and mixer because they are independent) there is something wonky there? I'm probably way off but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Ostermilk

18 Mar 2015

The settings in Preferences/Audio will affect what happens to the monitoring.

If set to Auto, the monitoring will occur in record and stop mode if the track is record enabled.  As nephew Namahs points out it easy to do something like create a new track which will stop the track you want to monitor being record enabled.

If set to Manual, monitoring will mostly behave itself and do exactly as you tell it.  Which is my preference as it always makes me think about what I'm intending to do.

Disabled of course you'd use if you are using external monitoring.

So check your current Prefs settings before deciding that it isn't working as described

• Information