Sample rates and audio cards question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SoundStruggler

17 Mar 2015

Does the sample rate that I can select in Reason's audio settings guarantee that the audio actually delivers that exact sample rate for both input and output?

I have different choices with different drivers. With the ASIO driver I can select from 44.1 to 192 KHz on my Asus Xonar DG but only 44.1 to 48 KHz on my Yamaha Audiogram 3. If I choose the DX or MME driver however I get a range from 44.1 to 192 on both cards.

Is it only what the drivers support or do some drivers detect the full range of an audio card better than others?

I can only recieve audio into Reason from external source with the Asio Yamaha USB driver. Any other driver will disable the Reason input.

So if I have my Korg M1 Legacy synth set to Xonar at 88.2 KHz, Reason will only record at 44.1 KHz because that's the limitation of the ASIO driver. I want to record at 88.2 KHz with 24 bit! >:-(

SoundStruggler

18 Mar 2015

I'm thinking there must be people with midi devices out there that can record and play with high sample quality. I would like to know what hardware and drivers you're using.

normen

18 Mar 2015

Just as a side note, its not "quality", the ONLY thing the sample rate defines is the highest captured frequency and the ONLY thing bit depth defines is the signal to noise ratio. Theres no "resolution" as there is no "pixels" in audio.

Maybe this helps choosing your sample rate and bit depth (or worry less about it).

SoundStruggler

18 Mar 2015

I know what sample rates and bit depth does, but for me it sounds better in some cases. It depends on what kind of song and sounds you're using. I noticed for instance I got better sounding high hats with one song at 88.2 KHz.

I'm trying here to simulate retro hardware at the moment. I was thinking about uploading a song template with it later if anybody might be interested.

I'll have a look at the video later.

• Information