mixing quietly

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bpmorton

16 Mar 2015

I just bought a pair of Makie MR6mk3's and have a few questions as I've never had a decent pair of monitors.

My main concern is volume...yes, I didn't buy the smallest MR speaker (they were on sale for $50 off at Sweetwater) and I usually mix stuff with my headphones to keep the noise down (and to keep people from knowing I have recording studio gear in my house)

Can I mix with monators at lower than normal volumes? Any benefits? Any drawbacks? I can always jam up the volume if I need to but just want to know...

Brian

ScuzzyEye

16 Mar 2015

Read up on Fletcher-Munson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E ... on_curves, and equal loudness curves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

But the quick answer is: at different volume levels the human ear becomes more or less sensitive to different frequencies. So if you mix at a low volume, and then listen again at a louder, the mix may end up sounding completely different.

gak

16 Mar 2015

It's been years since I've done a mix on monitors in a room that is meant for such things. 

However, I've met MANY a "producer" that prefers to mix "quiet" 

Advantages are:

-a tendency to really understand where something is in the mix
-less fatigue. 

Some things that are important (since you are knee deep into it)

-If you have not already, look SERIOUSLY into room treatment
-if you have kids or noisy roommates, this can be terribly distracting.
-Noisy computer, A/C/heat, and possible outside noises can also be distracting.

It's tough to get it right. But mixing "quiet" is doable. In fact (and I mean this) it's preferable. Just depends on a couple of things. 

Julibee

16 Mar 2015

Also, 'breaking in" new monitors is a thing... http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-b ... kers-mean/
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

gak

16 Mar 2015

True. NEVER let the "placebo" nazi's convince you otherwise. Cans and monitors should have a break in period. Lemme put it this way, sure and hell can't hurt. You be the judge.

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2015

Mixing quiet is far better than blasting yourself so that you feel cool but in reality make a mix that is messed up from not hearing things well. Basic rule is that if it sounds good quiet then it should rock at volume.

The most common thing that people miss is to reference their speakers: what does Alan Parsons "Eye In the Sky" album (yep all the tracks) sound like in your room with your amp/speakers? How does your mix compare to that record?

Now you may want to swap that record for another (and I use a few records to check any new rig see below) but just be sure it is a really well rounded record and not just something cool this week. You can use those records in a while when a true classic sounds normal.

:-)

For the record my rig checkers are - pretty well in order:
  1. Alan Parsons Project "Eye In the Sky" - the whole album is a mix of real and synthesized sounds and is just a great example of 70's/80's natural sounding records. If the chugging guitar at the start of Eye is off you will know. The orchestra in Old & Wise should be a revelation without being too detailed as to steal the show.
  2. Pink Floyd "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" for a big sound with delicate touches in a very solid but musical recording. I will tend to flip with this one just to hear hi-lights I figure you could use "Division Bell" too.
  3. Cold Chisel's song "Just How Many Times". This is a slightly odd one as the record it comes from has a scratchy sound but this song in particular has such a lovely blues feel that it transcends the quality of the recording. If this sounds nice even tho I hear all the problems then I have the set up working.
Of course these YouTube links should not be used themselves as quality is horrid.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Last Alternative

16 Mar 2015

This is something I'm always trying to slap my hand for- turning it up! It's too easy to want to rock it, thinking it's hyping you up and keeping yourself thrilled but you're killing your ears and it'll never sound right quiet or played anywhere else. A song should sound good even quiet on cheap little computer speakers.
Godspeed.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

motuscott

16 Mar 2015

Quiet is my main mixing mode with occasional "let it blast and walk around the room" breaks. Benedict is right on about a reference reel as is Julibee about the breaking in period. Enjoy the new speaks.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

normen

16 Mar 2015

Its much easier to listen to depth staging (reverbs) at lower volumes for example. To get an idea of the real impact of club music it makes sense to sometimes turn up the volume. Normally one should listen to mixes at around 86dBSPL though, thats roundabout the reference level used by professional TV/Broadcast/Recording studios for ages now.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2015

By mixing quietly you will be able to mix longer working time, and your years will thank you.

IMHO, you should listen to music in your new Monitors for a bit, and mix at the level you would listen to music, and feel confortable.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

In addition to listening to other folks mixes, you need some of your own in there as well since you know those mixes better than any others. Just my two cents to add to all the valuable information already given!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

bpmorton

17 Mar 2015

thanks for the info, guys!

Benedict: Sounds good, I have a few of those albums. probably include something a bit heavier for testing like Awaken by Yes and some Zep.

I'll have to look into room treatment but I think I'll wait till the speakers are here and set up. Maybe a couple of snaps of the room will help people help me with that.

Brian

• Information