Half-rack chorus/flanger question.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

15 Mar 2015

Please explain the difference between settings for chorus and the settings for flanger. It seems to be set in chorus mode which I like but I'm trying to make it a flanger for backround vocals and can't figure out how it should be.
Pictures would be great! Thanx in advance. Can't wait to hear back! :s0221:
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

eusti

15 Mar 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Please explain the difference between settings for chorus and the settings for flanger. It seems to be set in chorus mode which I like but I'm trying to make it a flanger for backround vocals and can't figure out how it should be.
Pictures would be great! Thanx in advance. Can't wait to hear back! :s0221:
Sorry, can't help! But that was always a question I had! :)
So, waiting to hear back as well now! :)

D.

bpmorton

15 Mar 2015

flangers typically have shorter delay times (20ms or less) probably more effect amount and slower LFO than chorus.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

Yep

The main difference is in the initial Delay time. 0-16ms for Flanger and 10-60ms for Chorus. The longer the delay the more 'flabby' the sound.

For a strong Flanger you need to set the Feedback high in the negative values (positive values don't sound as good).

Sadly I don't think this sounds a patch on my old yellow Ibanez pedal from the 80's (the remake I think). I don't know what that did different but I have not heard a flange like it since.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

esselfortium

15 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Yep

For a strong Flanger you need to set the Feedback high in the negative values (positive values don't sound as good).
In my experience, the negative feedback values always sound too much like a robot in a tin can. I like the sounds you can get from positive feedback though!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Yep

esselfortium wrote: In my experience, the negative feedback values always sound too much like a robot in a tin can. I like the sounds you can get from positive feedback though!
That's exactly what I like about a Flanger. That Ibanez could make things swish, scream or outright robotize in a very 1982 sort of way.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information