How did Todd achieve this vocal effect?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RhysHuntley89

14 Mar 2015

Longtime Reason user Todd Rundgren's last album "State" was made completely ITB with Reason, and since I first heard it I've wondered how he might have achieved this particular sound on the track "In My Mouth". 

From 3:00 onwards the vocal repeats and each time it gets increasingly breathy and weird; this culminates with full effect around 3:22. 

Any ideas?

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2015

This could be done simply by recording a vocal and whisper track and crossfading. But there is already a synth/vocoder element in the vocal, and if it's a vocoder you simply crossfade from the pitched carrier to white noise in the carrier.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

14 Mar 2015

selig wrote:This could be done simply by recording a vocal and whisper track and crossfading. But there is already a synth/vocoder element in the vocal, and if it's a vocoder you simply crossfade from the pitched carrier to white noise in the carrier.

:)
The vocoder is one of my favorite effects. That's what I figured it was right away too. Noise as the carrier gives that whispery sound. In fact I almost always include a bit of noise in the carrier, even when I'm trying to make a very robotic sounding voice, because it adds to intelligibility.

thotbott

15 Mar 2015

Also sounds like there is a heavy chorus/flanger on the voice. Am listening through my phone though. But it's just put the rate off sync on the reason chorus/flanger and put it up high as well as the mod and just make it as wet as you want for the desired effect

• Information