Making this pad with Parsec

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
keeverw

13 Mar 2015

Hi people!

I play Reason as a live keyboard rig on the worship band at my church. 
The sounds I am playing about 75% of the time, are piano and pad. I do get to use some cool synthy stuff on some of our songs, which is fun. 

I am using the "Nice Grand" patch in Radical Piano as my piano, with some slight tweaking, and reverb. And I have a Maelstrom and Thor layered, one panned hard left and the other panned hard right as my pad. I think the Thor patch is called "Big Soft Pad,"
and the Maelstrom patch is called "Foundational". They are both FSB patches. I would look but I am at work right now. 

Let me just say I am very happy with the sound. 

But, I recently bought Parsec and I haven't really played around with it much, other than scrolling through presets looking for something I like. 

I did not find a preset with a pad that I am going for, and that disappointed me. I did try before buying, but anyway, I thought maybe a refill might have what I'm looking for. Or maybe I would use Parsec for something else other than pads, later. 

I am not a sound designer, and I only have a basic understanding of how synths work. 
I get most of my sounds by layering and mixing other presets, and only tweaking a few parameters I know how to use. 

Anyway, I was wondering if Parsec can do a better job of making this kind of pad, if I knew how to use it properly. Also if anyone would mind helping me create this sound on Parsec, or at the very least give me some pointers. 

This video gives a pretty solid idea of what I am going for. 
Although his piano/pad sound is good on his Nord Stage. I think mine can be better. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HlbI2vLA8I

Please give this a listen and let me know if you wouldn't mind helping me. 

Also, if there is a Parsec refill in the shop that nails this sound, please point me to that. 

Thanks!

keeverw

13 Mar 2015

Tomorrow when I'm home, I will record a snippet of me playing my pad with and without the piano, to give you an idea where I'm starting from with my current setup. 

I just want to make it richer, lusher, wider, more sparkly, etc. 
And I'm hoping Parsec is up to the task. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2015

He's an Aussie!

Nice, reassuring sound (the patch that is not the Aussie accent - but his isn't too bad).

I have made a Patch with a pair of parsimonious Parsecs pertaining to your problem and participating in the poster's particular point path.

You can simply drag and drop your Radical Piano over the NN-XT samples and should work fine. You will need the Groovy Melon Crossfader RE which is free.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... %20Pad.cmb

I think Parsec does very nicely here. The "filtering" and Detune modules work nicely together to give some really broad sounds.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

keeverw

14 Mar 2015

Benedict,
Thank you so much!

It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but it's a really good foundation. 
I have only tweaked a little, but I think it already sounds better than what I've been using. 

Thanks again!

keeverw

14 Mar 2015

Here is my final product. 

I am really digging that cross-fader by the way. Way simpler and better than having to mess with 2 volume faders at once. 

Here is a bit of playing around with this combi.

And here is the Reason file. You must have the Crossfader (by groove melon) which is free, and Radical Piano. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wytv ... sp=sharing

This community is way better than the old Reason forums!
Way more helping and way less trolling going on. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2015

Hi

No worries. Balancing piano to pad is not really possible when you don't have the piano, and yours sounds very different (better) from the FSB Sample.

:-)

p.s. I am just the same person here as I was at PUF but yes it is nicer here in that way
Benedict Roff-Marsh

keeverw

16 Mar 2015

Maybe I need to re think this. 

It sounded good to me at home, but then Sunday morning, I loaded it up, and it just didn't sound as good as my old one, so I just used the old one. 

That's my issue, I guess. My blend of Thor and Malstrom sound really nice. 
But I just feel like I paid good money for Parsec, and I should try to use it, because it has the potential to sound even better. But maybe it really doesn't. Maybe I should just be happy with the sound I have, and use Parsec for other things. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2015

Chances are you are so used to the old instrument it fits like a glove and anything new unsettles you.

Otherwise can't comment as I've not heard the two sounds in use to have a feeling. Don't give up tho as Parsec is a brilliant synth with quite a few tricks up its sleeve but very different to fly than Thor.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information