Why do you use OctoRex?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mint

28 Jan 2020

The old Dr & the newer Dr Octo. have always been my go-to's.
Now use them with this RE.

Load it full Rexes and trigger, for inspiration or just for the fun it.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... er-module/
Attachments
JammeR.png
JammeR.png (283.68 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
Last edited by Mint on 29 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

challism

28 Jan 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 Mar 2015
I'll be honest, I always kinda skip Octorex. I wish they had've kept Dr Rex in there, the same way they've kept the NN19. It's a bit overkill when you want to just play a loop.
i totally agree. I've always felt that OctoRex was overkill for what I ever used it for. I don't know why Props took away the old DrRex. They could have easily left them both in the rack, as they did with 19 and XT, as you already stated.
Jimmyhi6 wrote:
28 Jan 2020
Thank you very much for your answer Challism,

then the only way to use an external filter on Dr.Octorex seems to be with the Malström, because of it´s shaper/filter Audio Routing, but it´s not that effective than the Antidote Filter, bad luck for us ;)
Another option is to use Thor. Thor pretty much does everything. It's such an amazing Swiss Army Knife. You can route the audio in to Filter 3 in the mod matrix.

You can use any external filter you want to, not just Malstrom or Thor's audio in. Reason's got a few stock devices with filters you can use: Pulveriser, Alligator, Synchronous, ECF. Just drag and drop one under your DrRex and Reason will automatically connect the cables.

There are also countless REs and VSTs you can use. Magmasoft's Class Filter in the Prop Shop is free, give it a try. Some of my other favorite RE filters are: Etch Red, F16, Devastor2, Villanelle Killer Wah.

And the Prop Shop has some great synths with audio input before their filters. Nostromo (you can run your audio in signal thru a series of 4 filters with this amazing synth), VK-1, VK-2, Parsec, The Legend, Ivoks, Predator, Quad, Vecto, and Revival just to name a few in my rack.

All that said, Dr.OctoRex has some pretty nice built in filters. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jlgrimes

28 Jan 2020

Jagwah wrote:
12 Mar 2015
I'm just curious as to what the benefits are. Now with transient slicing and bounce to .rex so easily accessible I find it interesting that I still very rarely use OctoRex.

I haven't used it much so I'm probably missing some things, is the main attraction the way the midi clip is laid out in the sequencer?

What benefits do you find with using it over audio clips or CV / midi triggered drum machines for instance?

When I have drums I already like, is there much benefit to bouncing them to .rex, perhaps for stuttering or something else?

Cheers! :comp:
I used to use it all the time.

Plenty of uses though.

1. Playing Rex files conveniently. Yes you can use audio clips, but OctoRex gives a better sense of organization as one device can hold eight different Rex files where you can switch between "patterns" so to speak.

2. Playing in Chopped loops. The best way to do those Kanye West/Just Blaze micro chopping of samples in Reason. This was very cool in the 2000s. Nurse Rex in Kong has a different approach and might have some advantages over Dr. Octo here though as it has more options of organizing the chops though. NNXT is also pretty good here as well.

Chopped loops was all the rave in the 2000s and even the 90s before Reason. This was alot harder to achieve in the 90s especially using a hardware sampler that couldn't autochop. Recycle probably played a big part in making this alot easier to do.

That said nowadays almost any DAW has this in some form or fashion with different workflows.

Kalm

28 Jan 2020

I use to use it to "chop up the soul" samples, but I think I'm going to replace it with Maschine. Now a days I use it to playback samples in loops. I't really good for that.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

jlgrimes

30 Jan 2020

Kalm wrote:
28 Jan 2020
I use to use it to "chop up the soul" samples, but I think I'm going to replace it with Maschine. Now a days I use it to playback samples in loops. I't really good for that.
Yeah I'm using Ableton now mainly for chopping. Pretty decent workflow. But OctoRex is great for someone totally using Reason standalone. Although I think Nurse Rex in Kong might be even more flexible for the chopping of samples as it have better ways of organizing the chops.

Kalm

31 Jan 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Kalm wrote:
28 Jan 2020
Yeah I'm using Ableton now mainly for chopping. Pretty decent workflow. But OctoRex is great for someone totally using Reason standalone. Although I think Nurse Rex in Kong might be even more flexible for the chopping of samples as it have better ways of organizing the chops.
Never got acclimated with it frfr
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

moneykube

31 Jan 2020

because I like it and I can ... helps start ideas... but first device was fine for me as well... octorex don't use it to full capability yet
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

SoulState

31 Jan 2020

moneykube wrote:
31 Jan 2020
l... octorex don't use it to full capability yet
You will if you get JammeR RE.
For me it’s the closed thing Reason has to Live’s “clip launch”
:reason:

moneykube

31 Jan 2020

SoulState wrote:
31 Jan 2020
moneykube wrote:
31 Jan 2020
l... octorex don't use it to full capability yet
You will if you get JammeR RE.
For me it’s the closed thing Reason has to Live’s “clip launch”
thanx will try it out
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Proboscis

31 Jan 2020

OctoRex is is almost every track I create, for drums/percussion, and using the 'pattern select' so loops can be changed within the sequencer while playing

How do other DAWs handle this with Reason as a VST ? Does an automation lane appear in order to achieve the same ?

Oquasec

31 Jan 2020

The nnxt is one of the easiest tools for this kind of crap but rex has it's utilities in octo.
Last edited by Oquasec on 01 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

teddymcw

31 Jan 2020

This is great thread, reinvigorated use of this good one. Hopefully I’ll have something to share later!

scratchnsnifff

01 Feb 2020

Dr octo Rex is amazing for making use of those usually Unused loops

Take a “top” loop and run it through a rex

Disable loop playback

Draw in a pattern using the sequencer. A quick and creative way of making samples into your own thing 👍

Also, using the LFO on the pitch is very quick you can set the LFO shape to triangle, set a 8/4 for the rate

And adjust the amount to taste

You’ll turn a repetitive loop into a pitch riser/fall

Add a delay, and presto
Once Dry hat/percussion loop has more movement and variations :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information