Why do you use OctoRex?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nymphomation

17 Mar 2015

Jagwah wrote:Interesting replies thanks guys. Seems common to use it for the loops already in the patch bank, not many of you are bouncing your own drums to .rex which is what I was interested in the benefits of, could be others out there that do it a lot I suppose.
Not with my own drums, but I have found myself playing in bass or guitar parts, then bouncing them straight to rex (from the timeline, how cool is that?!), and triggering then slices back in different orders.

https://soundcloud.com/nymphomation/new-horrors

The guitar part on this was done that way.

I also find myself using octorex as a quick way of adding a bit of rhythmical texture; shakers, high hats, percussion. The fact it has a filter built in is a bonus, filtering out the lows, then slowly bringing them back in. And separate audio outs it pretty cool.

More recently I got into the 'Alt' feature, where you set different slices on matching channels/numbers that alternate. That's quite a powerful tool, and you can get some crazy effects if you push it.

5mile

17 Mar 2015

Nice stuff Nymphomation
Yes bounce to Rex is a dream come true
Also the slice edit stuff is so fun

chimp_spanner

17 Mar 2015

I never even knew about the notes to slot thing...amazing! I'll try out this "alt" thing next. I'll be honest, I always kinda skip Octorex. I wish they had've kept Dr Rex in there, the same way they've kept the NN19. It's a bit overkill when you want to just play a loop. But I'll take the time to learn it. Sounds like I'm missing out!

Nielsen

02 Dec 2017

I typically use it for some additional percussion above a ReDrum groove. At other times I find a loop to build a foundation around, perhaps with a bit of tweaking to remove the worst sense of guilt from not creating the groove from scratch. Probably nonsense to think along those lines, because as mentioned above, the right loop can inspire the idea that otherwise wouldn't surface.

mbfrancis

02 Dec 2017

If the question is "why use rex files instead of just time-stretch loops," my answer is that the rex format preserves the original transients, which for a lot of things is most important.

I also love the ability to run a loop in pattern mode but program snare fills via MIDI. Or send notes to track and re-program, as many have stated. Or sometimes I drop the slices into redrum. It's a great format.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Marc64

02 Dec 2017

I use it with different loops to change between them to create a non static loop sequence :)

Rason

02 Dec 2017

Jagwah wrote:I'm just curious as to what the benefits are. Now with transient slicing and bounce to .rex so easily accessible I find it interesting that I still very rarely use OctoRex.

I haven't used it much so I'm probably missing some things, is the main attraction the way the midi clip is laid out in the sequencer?

What benefits do you find with using it over audio clips or CV / midi triggered drum machines for instance?

When I have drums I already like, is there much benefit to bouncing them to .rex, perhaps for stuttering or something else?

Cheers! :comp:
Hi, it used to be the thing back then when reason didnt fully handle audio. Still cool now though for creative stuff.

Odesláno z mého D5503 pomocí Tapatalk

Oquasec

02 Dec 2017

Cuz it's integrated into reason and handles chops like recycle does.
Can also be used as a clip launcher.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Aosta

02 Dec 2017

I use it mostly as an extra drum kit. Load up a loop, turn off run and record a pattern on the keyboard with the slices. You can get really creative manipulating each slice.
Tend the flame

Pi5cEan

03 Dec 2017

Jagwah wrote:
12 Mar 2015
I'm just curious as to what the benefits are. Now with transient slicing and bounce to .rex so easily accessible I find it interesting that I still very rarely use OctoRex.

I haven't used it much so I'm probably missing some things, is the main attraction the way the midi clip is laid out in the sequencer?

What benefits do you find with using it over audio clips or CV / midi triggered drum machines for instance?

When I have drums I already like, is there much benefit to bouncing them to .rex, perhaps for stuttering or something else?

Cheers! :comp:
I find that I use it's built-in amp envelope a lot these days. Small tweaks to soften the attack & shortening the decay makes a massive difference in the sound & groove. It's basically a builtin transient shaper, right? Automating them both for builds & different parts can add dynamics to a track. Also I make deep use of slice mode, doing micro pitch adjustments (I really wish I could zoom in or even type a number to have tighter control of the pitch/per slice adjustments). I also like to reverse the odd slice or two. AND I will sometimes build really creative grooves by having multiple Octos playing different loops, but in each loop I use slice levels to remove hits from them so that when they all play together (with only maybe 25% of their hits enabled) it creates an unpredictable but totally locked-in groove.. I've come up with some great beats that way, and it feels almost like a treasure hunt doing it this way.. Fun as hell!

I should add, when I use the Octo, it's always in the form of a custom combi I made that has several levels of saturation & coloring at the ready. It also comes pre-wired with a CV splitter connected to the LFO, and boy do I make ample use of that (& it's inverted signal). I have several of these octo-combis in my starter template in fact. And believe me, I've spent years learning how to manipulate the f*** out of these loops, they don't often sound like "just some loops". Especially with automation. That device along with the Kong are a match made in heaven in my opinion ;-)

Marco Raaphorst

03 Dec 2017

soundwise there's a difference. rx2 in audio lanes are time stretched as audio files. in OctoRex they are loops.

rx2 still sounds the most snappy. also in Ableton Live. most percussive.

must say that for more complex and melodic sounding audio, OctoRex will always introduce pops. it even happens on drumloops but there's always a slice cut in sustained sound. but it can be a cool artifact as well, sounds a bit like vinyl :)

demt

03 Dec 2017

i was going to use it but i found grid 64g though on really dazed days the rex is quicker to set up and not so wild
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

dana

03 Dec 2017

I like to take the gate output on a drumloop and trigger a bass synth - just change the oscillator frequency to whatever you want. This triggers a bass note with the exact same rythym as your loop. Change the loop slot, the rythym changes with it!

dvdrtldg

03 Dec 2017

dana wrote:
03 Dec 2017
I like to take the gate output on a drumloop and trigger a bass synth - just change the oscillator frequency to whatever you want. This triggers a bass note with the exact same rythym as your loop. Change the loop slot, the rythym changes with it!
I do this too, but via Robotic Bean Step sequencer

Enter a bunch of note values into Step, set sequencer mode to whatever suits (I like Reorder or Random for leads/plucks). Then take gate out from Dr Octo Rex --> Step clock in/out --> synth gate input

Take CV out from Step --> Lectric Panda Janitor CV Shaper --> Ochen K CV Tuner --> synth note input

Tweak scale & offset in Janitor until you have the spread of notes you like, choose your scale in CV Tuner

(If you don't have them, Janitor is free and CV Tuner is $9.00 - Step is currently $35 which is an excellent deal)

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Dec 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Dec 2017
dana wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Enter a bunch of note values into Step, set sequencer mode to whatever suits (I like Reorder or Random for leads/plucks). Then take gate out from Dr Octo Rex --> Step clock in/out --> synth gate input

Take CV out from Step --> Lectric Panda Janitor CV Shaper --> Ochen K CV Tuner --> synth note input

Tweak scale & offset in Janitor until you have the spread of notes you like, choose your scale in CV Tuner

(If you don't have them, Janitor is free and CV Tuner is $9.00 - Step is currently $35 which is an excellent deal)

You're starting to get fancy now lol

keysperson

04 Dec 2017

I share kind of the same feelings. I own all of the groove monkee Mega pack and the rex loops while nice aren't really named that friendly and I still would have to by ear categorize them as intro's, fills, verses or chorus where as with midi drumloops I can send them to any machine I want. This project I doing now I'm actually exploring REdrum. because I never explored them before. Typing in dumbeats becomes a very time consuming task and its complicated enough just to build a song. Rexloops I haven't yet figured out how to incorporate them in a serious flow.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Dec 2017

I have always felt it would be interesting to create song with just rx2 loops. Create your own loops from your own recording. Slice up your music and rebuild it into songs. Because of the slicing and the new possibilities and because of the artefacts I think this will be cool.

Should definitely do it one day...

Emian

04 Dec 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
dana wrote:
03 Dec 2017

Why do you need CV-tuner if you have Step? You can tune your CV to a scale of choice using Step's input at the back...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

syncanonymous

05 Dec 2017

I use Octo a lot, too...probably in 90% of my tracks
like grifty, I use Recycle to create rexs ; Recycle is just so much more functional (especially zoom) than manipulating audio in Reason, imo/e

I don’t have any special uses in mind to share...everyone else has covered most of those uses

the last project I delivered was a sound a like with glass and crystal hits. I recorded into my other audio DAW and comped; sliced in recycle and re-tuned and filtered in DOR. DOR was the best best tool in Reason for the task.

I also vote for fast drum part creations to get on with the writing. It doesn’t get much more simple than DOR...especially using the slots
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Catblack

06 Dec 2017

Emian wrote:
04 Dec 2017
dvdrtldg wrote:

Why do you need CV-tuner if you have Step? You can tune your CV to a scale of choice using Step's input at the back...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk
It's so he can shift the scale and notes in ways that Step can't.

I've made a combinator with the setup that dvdrtldg described. You can load different Dr Octorexii and record the Step and change the instrument. This combi is a pretty fun starting point!

Rex to Melody.zip
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

pquenin

06 Dec 2017

You can use Dr Octo Rex as a drum replacer : just choose different outputs for the slices you want to replace and with CV trigger you can trigger other sounds for these slices, that you have loaded in a Redrum for instance...

Jimmyhi6

26 Jan 2020

Is there any way to use the Filter of the Antidote (not the Filter Envelope) on a Rex Loop?

challism

27 Jan 2020

1) I like the "Gate Output" CV out on the back. It's great for a trigger.
2) I like randomly play the slices with a step sequencer.... put a Matrix below it and randomize the pattern and see what interesting results you get from Rex.
3) I like to rearrange the Rex files via the "copy loop to track" button, then go into the sequencer and rearrange the slices. You can also do some cool stuttering this way. It's great for experimentation or rearranging your riffs/basslines/drum hits to get some new alternate versions.

All that being said, I don't use DrRex as much as I used to. I used to use it a lot way back in the early days, before Reason had audio recording. I used to spend a lot of time recording my tracks and the turning them into Rex files via Recycle. That was a very slow way to produce and I dont miss it. I don't even have Recycle installed anymore.
Jimmyhi6 wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Is there any way to use the Filter of the Antidote (not the Filter Envelope) on a Rex Loop?
No, you can't . The external input of Antidote is hard wired to enter the chain just before the effects. I hate it when synths don't allow for use of their filters by external audio. I'm not sure what is behind this decision but it seems to be a fairly popular choice. Seems like the audio input should enter the chain parallel to the oscillators, to me. Devs: if you are going to go through the effort to include an audio input to the synth, why not give access to filters and amp/env? Doesn't make any sense to me.
ANT.jpg
ANT.jpg (94.67 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Catblack wrote:
06 Dec 2017

It's so he can shift the scale and notes in ways that Step can't.

I've made a combinator with the setup that dvdrtldg described. You can load different Dr Octorexii and record the Step and change the instrument. This combi is a pretty fun starting point!

Rex to Melody.zip
Bad ass patch you made there. It sounds killer. Great example of how to use the Gate Output of DrRex to create a groove. Which is probably my favorite use of DrRex since i don't really use loops.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

VariableX

27 Jan 2020

quite often i use it to spice up a beat etc... occasionally I chop one of its beats up in the sequencer and build a song around it. i don't use it as much as i used too, but now im thinking of it and really wanna go and use it... and like people are saying its filter is great!! im always automating the filter 😀

Jimmyhi6

28 Jan 2020

Thank you very much for your answer Challism,

then the only way to use an external filter on Dr.Octorex seems to be with the Malström, because of it´s shaper/filter Audio Routing, but it´s not that effective than the Antidote Filter, bad luck for us ;)

• Information