Bad Format error whenever running internet verification???

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
K1TTENM1TTEN

10 Mar 2015

Uggggh.... So I have installed Reason 7.1.1 and now have this error. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and it simply does not work. I tried the youtube video thing where it talks about deleting the roaming files. Still nothing. It never did this before. Reason will open in demo mode, but not under internet authentication mode. Any ideas? Help would be muuuuch appreciated!

K1TTENM1TTEN

12 Mar 2015

Anyone??? Reason won't boot up :'( 

mayzon

30 Jun 2015

Did you ever solve this? As I'm now having the same problem?

K1TTENM1TTEN

30 Jun 2015

mayzon wrote:Did you ever solve this? As I'm now having the same problem?
Yes, that I did! So basically what the error is referring to (and not actually ever telling you) is that one of your Rack Extensions has become corrupted. For me in was either one of the more recent Softube REs or one of the REs I was beta testing. I was never actually able to pin point which RE it was, but basically what you need to do is delete ALL of your REs (super annoying) and then download them INDIVIDUALLY as the error was caused by a bad batch sync. Keep an eye out for errors in your individual downloads, that's where this error can cause the nightmare. If the download fails properly just delete the one and try again.

mayzon

01 Jul 2015

Thanks for getting back!

I've done it and yes it worked so thank you very much.

Pulsar won't download properly no matter how many times I try so I assume it was this that was causing the problem!

I'll post up if I find the fix.

Thanks again Kitten.

Mart

K1TTENM1TTEN

01 Jul 2015

Glad I could help! Unfortunately, PH has a bit of a habit of not returning customer support emails on the quick, haha! Have fun making some muzak!  :s0826:

decibel

04 Jul 2015

just encountered the same problem

quad,fm4, mixfood unison Xs sample based synth, combo X-705 space organ and the beta version of hydronexius workstation all updated earlier today so i suspect it is one of those 5 REs that has caused the issue ?

if anybody else had any of those REs updated let me know ? maybe we can isolate which one it is exactly ?

decibel

04 Jul 2015

i just removed the hydronexius workstation beta and things seem to be working now

jam-s

21 Jul 2015

Today I also encountered this error. The culprit was Avast antivirus that blocked reason from accessing pulsar and redominator. After adding the corresponding path to the exception list the error went away.

Aquila

22 Jul 2015

Yeah a few antivirus apps - especially Avast - have been misbehaving with a few REs lately. I'm almost tempted to ditch Avast altogether and use something else. A lot of folk have been recommending MSSE.

Tincture

23 Jul 2015

What a life saver this thread has been! I've been without Reason for a month now due to this problem! (Partly because I just got sick of Authoriser D/L, connection errors etc). I've been redownloading REs trying to find the problem child but logically started from the most recently updated... but then saw that Pulsar was mentioned here a few times so jumped right down the list (it was last updated ages ago) and redownloaded pulsar.... and I'm back in! Phew! Thanks to Carl at Props support as well.

Theo.M

23 Jul 2015

Aquila wrote:Yeah a few antivirus apps - especially Avast - have been misbehaving with a few REs lately. I'm almost tempted to ditch Avast altogether and use something else. A lot of folk have been recommending MSSE.
MSSE doesn't pass even the most basic independent scan tests.. I can't recommend it as It's simply not a great anti virus, and in fact my sister got a serious virus that got through MSSE.. enough that it took over her entire computer and she could not get into it, and i had hours of work ahead of me to get it functional again. She is living proof that it let a mega ass virus through.

As far as Re's, i recommend something cloud based, after all, you only really need the AV when you are online right? They run fast and lean and stay *very on top* of removing FALSE virus alerts from their databases. Go webroot or panda.

I use zone alarm pro firewall and anti virus which i paid $25 for and couldn't be happier (uses kaspersky engine) - when i disable the wireless, i right click exit zone alarm which totally removes it from resident operation completely, and i get full power of my win lappy. It is one of only 2 av programs that lets you exit completely (the other being kaspersky itself) - and you can even disable it with windows startup. Completely un-intrusive and can be set to your liking. I also recommend bit defender web extension which scans each page as you visit it, you have no speed reduction, and warns you if it has malware. I mean that in itself, is actually enough in most cases to stop you ever downloading bad files. I can assure you bit defender "traffic light" extension sees props as a trusted web page :)

Bit defender free is also good and superior to avast, and much, MUCH faster on the resources. Avast had it's day, it's past it's prime now.

xxASMxx

23 Jul 2015

Aquila wrote:Yeah a few antivirus apps - especially Avast - have been misbehaving with a few REs lately. I'm almost tempted to ditch Avast altogether and use something else. A lot of folk have been recommending MSSE.
I too received the "Bad Format" error message today and guess what....I have Avast also. And I received the issue related to Pulsar as well. After reading this thread I ended up re-downloading all of the rack extensions and everything has been working fine.

I plan to ditch Avast soon as its clearly the culprit.

• Information