Do you think we over-reacted?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Gaja

12 Mar 2015

Gaja wrote:…I think props plans didn't involve moderation of a Forum, which, if done properly would have been a major task and would require the workforce to do that (especially because you also need to be tech savvy)…
selig wrote:
Knowing what I know now moderating a forum, I have a different view (actually, I had the same view before, but now I am more certain of it!). It takes no tech knowledge to moderate a forum, isn't a "major" task (though I'll admit you guys here have been on good behavior, making our job easier - thanks for that!), and the "workforce" required isn't all that demanding.

If asked I would have been more than happy to help moderate the old PUF (but I wasn't asked). I made no secret of the fact I felt the old PUF was under-moderated, and always thought it wouldn't take THAT much work to make it a better place - ReasonTalk is now proof of that IMO. 

Hopefully others agree we are doing it "properly" here, but I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with everything done here (or on any forum). 
:)
I was referring to tech support, which is of course not a part of moderation, but it would have been expected of them. Well I have never moderated a forum, so I can't tell really. I might of course be wrong :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2015

Gaja wrote:…I think props plans didn't involve moderation of a Forum, which, if done properly would have been a major task and would require the workforce to do that (especially because you also need to be tech savvy)…
selig wrote:
Knowing what I know now moderating a forum, I have a different view (actually, I had the same view before, but now I am more certain of it!). It takes no tech knowledge to moderate a forum, isn't a "major" task (though I'll admit you guys here have been on good behavior, making our job easier - thanks for that!), and the "workforce" required isn't all that demanding.

If asked I would have been more than happy to help moderate the old PUF (but I wasn't asked). I made no secret of the fact I felt the old PUF was under-moderated, and always thought it wouldn't take THAT much work to make it a better place - ReasonTalk is now proof of that IMO. 

Hopefully others agree we are doing it "properly" here, but I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with everything done here (or on any forum). 
Gaja wrote:I was referring to tech support, which is of course not a part of moderation, but it would have been expected of them. Well I have never moderated a forum, so I can't tell really. I might of course be wrong :)
I'll say the same, that I could be wrong because this is the first time I've ever been any part of running a forum, and I'm just one of many here doing this job (which I feel was a great move for this forum). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

ebop

13 Mar 2015

A company that has to moderate its own forum is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Censorship v anarchy. PH went with anarchy, they're liberal in Sweden aren't they?

But worst of all, imagine if good folk like Giles were accepted to moderate the PH forum and he had to ban someone. I bet some smart alec would have accused him of being in PH's pocket. Being independent like we are now is so good and we seem to be respecting this.

Dunno if I'm correct in saying this, but I'm not sure 'everyone' made it over to this forum and I'm not sure if that is by design or not.

trimph1

13 Mar 2015

I get that sometimes with Model Railroading Forums...there is usually a few malcontents who throw that around...moderators are shills...that kind of thing.
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2015

ebop wrote:A company that has to moderate its own forum is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Censorship v anarchy. PH went with anarchy, they're liberal in Sweden aren't they? But worst of all, imagine if good folk like Giles were accepted to moderate the PH forum and he had to ban someone. I bet some smart alec would have accused him of being in PH's pocket. Being independent like we are now is so good and we seem to be respecting this. Dunno if I'm correct in saying this, but I'm not sure 'everyone' made it over to this forum and I'm not sure if that is by design or not.
No one is being blocked or restricted from joining this forum, everyone get's a fresh start!
[Also consider that I must behave totally differently as a RE developer - I can no longer point out the flaws in any products like I used to do because it would appear as a huge conflict of interest. ;) ]
Selig Audio, LLC

ebop

13 Mar 2015

Good stuff. I was personally interested to know this given how smooth the transition was. Guess everyone just actually wanted something better and that starts with attitude and respect. I'm sure there will be heated moments at times, but with a sprinkling of moderation, she'll be right mate.

NMRosta

13 Mar 2015

Maybe we/i did.... I dont like that the (F3)browser is welded to one spot  (im using 2 screens) and woud like to have it on the right side. But that is not really that important.

What i do like is actualy that the "workflow" that they where talking so mutch about actually have been mutch better! Most ofen i find myself actually making music instead of processing between with things like whating for "the fucking browser to apear) etc. It have became mutch faster and that actually encorages me to do more sampler/mixing/dub if you like.

( i wich the instruments or whatever coud be placed directly inside the mix (i have to drag it inside the mix everytime, maybe there is some kind of option to do so, but i have not found it yet)

I also very mutch like that it is so easy to "add automations) * as i can remeber it took some time to make it possible..

I also that there is more structure in Reason 8.1 and that instruments/efects follow each other wile changing places in groups etc..

So well that is good. But i wich there where more options and possibility to choise more collor/groups and i also truly wich there where some possibility to have my own skins or bacgrounds. So, well im glad that i upgraded to 8.1 :s0230: *but it is expensive to follow rsns all upgprades and i truly hope that propellerhead dont fuck the whole things upp with silly stuff like the iphone apps etc. Sometimes i got the terrible feeling that they put more focus on those kiddy app things just because they find more ecenomic intrest in those things.. but i hope i just got it all wrong..

Peace/love

Attachments
2015-03-13_10_02_02-Document_1_.jpg
2015-03-13_10_02_02-Document_1_.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

Gaja

13 Mar 2015

@NMRosta
What changed to automations? I don't remember any differences to previous versions.
I don't think they have more focus on "silly apps" than Reason. A free app and a .79€ app can't possibly be considered a more lucrative business than a DAW.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

CharlyCharlzz

14 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: I just noticed a request that I had for 8 is actualy in 7.1 and that happen all the  time with reason for some reasons ! it was not mentioned anywhere that they fixed it !
it was the getting out of a midi bar once doubled clicked in the container , now there is a close window :)
Grinder One wrote: I've always just pressed ESC for this.

Mart.
I will just facepalm myself and hide a few days !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

tiker01

14 Mar 2015

selig wrote: I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
If I understand your question, the Browser is locked to main screen and docked to the Sequencer. You only have the option to detach the Rack or the Mixer. There is no option to detach the sequencer. You can hide (collapse) the browser with the F3 key, which allows the sequencer to fill the whole screen. No option to dock the Browser to the Rack or the Mixer. Considering the Rack doesn't fill the whole screen, it would be awesome to have the rack and patch browser on the same screen.
selig wrote:
Sorry I'm being so unclear - I'm asking about R7, as I fully understand how R8 since I've been alpha and beta testing it for quite some time before it was even released (but you didn't hear that from me!). ;)

I've never used multiple monitors and wonder why 
selig wrote:Sinistereo
selig wrote:claims it totally breaks the multi screen workflow. I was under the impression that the R7 browser always opened in the main window similar to how it now always opens attached to the sequencer.

Doesn't seem to me like anything changed according to that description, but I'm guessing I missed something here. Anyone? :)
As far as I remember the man difference in this respect is that in Reason 7 if one had the Mixer/Rack/Sequencer detached using a single monitor and opened the browser from the Rack it did not steer the user to any other window, since Reason 8 it does. Therefore, after browsing one has to manually switch view.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2015

selig wrote: I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
If I understand your question, the Browser is locked to main screen and docked to the Sequencer. You only have the option to detach the Rack or the Mixer. There is no option to detach the sequencer. You can hide (collapse) the browser with the F3 key, which allows the sequencer to fill the whole screen. No option to dock the Browser to the Rack or the Mixer. Considering the Rack doesn't fill the whole screen, it would be awesome to have the rack and patch browser on the same screen.
selig wrote:
Sorry I'm being so unclear - I'm asking about R7, as I fully understand how R8 since I've been alpha and beta testing it for quite some time before it was even released (but you didn't hear that from me!). ;)

I've never used multiple monitors and wonder why 
selig wrote:Sinistereo
selig wrote:claims it totally breaks the multi screen workflow. I was under the impression that the R7 browser always opened in the main window similar to how it now always opens attached to the sequencer.

Doesn't seem to me like anything changed according to that description, but I'm guessing I missed something here. Anyone? :)
tiker01 wrote:
As far as I remember the man difference in this respect is that
tiker01 wrote:in Reason 7
tiker01 wrote: if one had the Mixer/Rack/Sequencer detached
tiker01 wrote:using a
tiker01 wrote:
tiker01 wrote:single monitor
tiker01 wrote: and
tiker01 wrote:opened the browser from the Rack it did not steer the user to any other window
tiker01 wrote:, since Reason 8 it does. Therefore, after browsing one has to manually switch view.
Ahh, that would be a PITA indeed. Thanks for clarifying, and I'm actually happy to have one monitor at times like this! ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

14 Mar 2015

gak wrote:Well, from a "new" persons perspective, I really like 8.1. I like the browser, and I do think that there are many aspects that are kinda strange, but for me, it fits the bill. (long-time wait)
 That was their goal I'd bet. Look at some of the intro videos are for beginner.

Grinder One

14 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: I just noticed a request that I had for 8 is actualy in 7.1 and that happen all the  time with reason for some reasons ! it was not mentioned anywhere that they fixed it !
it was the getting out of a midi bar once doubled clicked in the container , now there is a close window :)
Grinder One wrote:
Grinder One wrote:I've always just pressed ESC for this.
Grinder One wrote:
Mart.
CharlyCharlzz wrote:

gak

14 Mar 2015

Mart.
CharlyCharlzz wrote:
But for those of us who do not know every single little feature of reason, it's nice to discover things like this :) I knew about the "close" but am still trying to memorize key commands. And escape works to get out of audio comping too.

CharlyCharlzz

14 Mar 2015

Mart.
CharlyCharlzz wrote:
gak wrote:
But for those of us who do not know every single little feature of reason, it's nice to discover things like this :) I knew about the "close" but am still trying to memorize key commands. And escape works to get out of audio comping too.
I am speachless now ....
been pressing blocks twice for years :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Pepin

15 Mar 2015

Mart.
CharlyCharlzz wrote:
gak wrote:
CharlyCharlzz wrote:
I am speachless now ....
been pressing blocks twice for years :D
You can also press cmd-E (ctrl-E on Windows). This also works to *enter* edit mode, so you don't have to double click either  :)

gak

15 Mar 2015

It's the little things that make me happy :)  

Gaja

15 Mar 2015

You can also press shift + tab
Cheers!
Fredhoven

gak

15 Mar 2015

Ok, now you are just confusing me  :s0238:

• Information