Do you think we over-reacted?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
clone

10 Mar 2015

Agree, I was planning on upgrading to 8, but decided not to, and that's it. No complaining, no angry out-bursts. Not going to shoot down a DAW I love so much, just because it's not what I expected to be. I still support reason and am going to wait to see what the next upgrade has to offer. 100% Reason user.

-Clone

Heater

10 Mar 2015

As a Reason 7 users.  It's a lot of money for a small upgrade.  So no.  I don't think I over reacted by not upgrading.  I've not regretted it once.

EnochLight

10 Mar 2015

It wouldn't be the Internet if people didn't overreact and blow shit out of context.  Was 8 the feature-packed update that everyone wished for?  Obviously not, but after using it I couldn't go back to 7.  I found value in the upgrade, and enjoy using it though, so perhaps I'm biased.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

dvdrtldg

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
gullum wrote:I think a lot of people over reacted R8 did not break anything except maybe patch browsing
selig wrote: There are a few (that I know of) including myself that have submitted detailed feature suggestions as to how to address this issue. Hopefully the Props are listening! :)
Good to hear! The patch browser issue is the one reason I'm sticking with 7

Shokstar

10 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:It wouldn't be the Internet if people didn't overreact and blow shit out of context.  Was 8 the feature-packed update that everyone wished for?  Obviously not, but after using it I couldn't go back to 7.  I found value in the upgrade, and enjoy using it though, so perhaps I'm biased.  
I´m still missing the full F8 tool window with all devices listed :frown:

lowpryo

10 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:It wouldn't be the Internet if people didn't overreact and blow shit out of context.  Was 8 the feature-packed update that everyone wished for?  Obviously not, but after using it I couldn't go back to 7.  I found value in the upgrade, and enjoy using it though, so perhaps I'm biased.  
Shokstar wrote:
they are now in the browser, which I prefer, because I can have the device list on the left side and the F8 sequencer tools on the right. it's hard to break old habits though, so i don't blame you.

clone

10 Mar 2015

Not in a rush to upgrade at all, R7 is perfectly fine with me. But, am hoping one day for some new instruments. 

Ostermilk

10 Mar 2015

Shokstar wrote:
I still don't get why the browser didn't appear in a revamped tool window, tabbed with the different functionality that it now has and dockable for those that want it attached like it is now.

Now the tools window just looks they ran out of development time to meet a release schedule with just the Groove Settings and Midi Tools left on it.  Had the browser been floating like (or even on) the tool Window it could have been tabbed with the Midi and Groove stuff on it and you could keep it in view whether you were in Rack, Mixer or Sequencer view just by hitting F8.

I think there was a lot of work in the v8 update and it warranted more time to finish I think, stuff like the brushed aluminium finish still as the background to the groove mixer seem to betray there was more to be done, also there's the thing where it doesn't seem sure whether it's intended to be a single screen app as detachable windows now cause a disconnect from the browser. (Yes Giles in v7 you could access the broswer from whatever screen you were on btw... ;) )

I actually think it was a good upgrade as far as building a better foundation for facing the future goes but I'm still feeling there's plenty more work to be done on it.

Having said all that I'm relatively happy working in R8 by now and not finding it too much trouble but I stilll reckon my workflow has been hindered a bit where I used to scoot round v7 at a rate of knots.

hydlide

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
I've never used multiple monitors and wonder why Sinistereo claims it totally breaks the multi screen workflow. I was under the impression that the R7 browser always opened in the main window similar to how it now always opens attached to the sequencer.

Doesn't seem to me like anything changed according to that description, but I'm guessing I missed something here. Anyone? :)
i'll chime in for a bit since I use a multi screen and a single screen set up. The most "annoying" thing I find with the single screen set up is that the browser usually takes to much space and is always in your "face".
This is a thing I like about R7 since when I would want to browse patches, the thing remained as a loose window. Thus when I want to browse a patch, I get that window and go from there.

With the multi screen set up it goes "obnoxious" to say the least. Lets say I have my rack on one screen and I am focussing on that angle. Lets browse some patches (while having the sequencer on the second window). What usually happens (to me that is). Once I browse a patch the sequencer to no god given reason retains the focus point of it all. Even while I have turned off that option "not to focus bla whatever".
Ok, so from this point on, my focus is on the other screen while my eyes are still pointing to the other screen...
Its like Bill (gates) just used a magic wand and says, hey... lets put your mouse on the other screen in stead.

Till this day, this has been my biggest frustration point, and I have no sollution what so-ever to solve this.

Another issue regarding workflow would be "right click" and say "edit automation". Its a massacre on multiscreen setups from where I am sitting at. In reason 7 the focus point would be the knob... In reason 8, its the sequencer going apeshit...
Workflow... gotta love it ;)

joeyluck

10 Mar 2015

clone wrote:Not in a rush to upgrade at all, R7 is perfectly fine with me. But, am hoping one day for some new instruments. 
I highly recommend the Radical Bundle, PX7, and Parsec if you don't already have them. I have a feeling they may have a new RE around the corner...they are due.

EnochLight

10 Mar 2015

It's been so long since I've worked on a single-monitor setup, I never realized how much of a hassle you guys have with multi screens. On multiple monitors it rocks, but I'm left handed and my browser window opens on my left monitor all of the time. My mixer occupies the right monitor, so no issues.

Hopefully Props will make the browser window detachable someday. :frown:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hydlide

10 Mar 2015

I'm left handed too. So your point being? Reason is for right handed persons?
Personally, I do lot of sound design. And for me sound design is "better" in Reason 7 then in Reason 8. Meaning, I don't get the "sequencer gets focus" fuzz when I am tweaking thing here and there. In  R8, I often feel like "R8 isn't a sound designer tool, its a sequencer tool".
Being left handed has nothing to with that IMHO.

Ostermilk

10 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:It's been so long since I've worked on a single-monitor setup, I never realized how much of a hassle you guys have with multi screens. On multiple monitors it rocks, but I'm left handed and my browser window opens on my left monitor all of the time. My mixer occupies the right monitor, so no issues. Hopefully Props will make the browser window detachable someday. :frown:
Eh?  I'm not sure anyone has hassles with multi-screens it's just that the Browser stays on a different screen to the Mixer or worse the Rack if you decide to put them on another scree.  It's even worse with detached windows on the same screen as short of the devices file selector turning orange when you want to load a patch nothing else visibly happens.

I'm left-handed too and it hasn't made things easier, the only thing that makes it easier for me is to keep the whole thing single screen and use the F5. 6 and 7 keys to switch between full views.

phasys

11 Mar 2015

I certainly don't think I overreacted. They mutilated Reason,they took it apart, sewed it back together with additional parts like some kind of unusable Frankensteins monster. It's a complete joke if you compare it to something like Ableton. The whole "look the buttons turn orange" thing look like an alpha version that hasn't been thoroughly thought out yet. It's a piece of shit, period.

Loborg

11 Mar 2015

I agree with Phasys. Also, the marketing selling drag and drop in Reason 8 as "the most radical rethinking of Reason's workflow since, well... Ever!" alongside epic music, sunsets, and the Justice League of devs walking in slow motion towards the camera left a really bad taste in my mouth.

My overall feeling of Reason 8 is that they had to rush out a version to prepare people for the removal (!) of the Line-6 devices.

sinusfiction

11 Mar 2015

I'm very very happy with 7.1, so why use 8?

Never have any problems with the browser, never use drag 'n drop so the advantages of version 8 didn't weight out the disadvantages (locked browser, no patch preview cancel). Two new RE's I probalbly never use. So it was an easy decision. Never made any fuzz about it, though.

But I admit: it is a really odd feeling not to upgrade, after becoming it a habit after I stepped in at Reason 1.0.
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2015

I agree with the clunky multi monitor support now, because the browser gets in the way TOO easily. I'd like to see a Dockable browser to any window where you'd choose where it would be placed (the browser is always in the sequencer window now).

I use 3 monitors, the best option for me would be the browser on the middle monitor toggling with the mixer, so that i could drag and drop to the sequencer and the rack (drag to left, drag to right). I don't even know if you can drag to the left...  For now what i'm doing, is having the sequencer and the browser in my left screen, mixer in the middle, and rack on my right monitor, but the problem is, i have to drag from the left screen to the right screen, a huge way!!! Last month I've had the left monitor off, and i simply use the sequencer and mixer on the middle screen... 

Anyway... 

Back on topic, I'm primarily a musician, that changed into a composer and arranger, and only then an audio engineer, if i ever can be called that. And though i understand different kinds of synthesis, audio and CV routing, and most of the ins and outs of Reason devices, its very rare to make my own sounds (i often improve on top of the sounds i  already have in my library, thought and knowing the difference from a Saw to a Triangle, or FM from Addictive, and so on, helps in my endeavors. Still... I have more fun from making music, than making sounds.).

So most of my time spent with reason, is either finding new sounds, playing and tweaking in the sequencer, and in the end mixing the result. And from this standpoint, the new browser and the drag and drop feature, are huge additions to my workflow, specially focusing in the Browser->Sequencer.

trimph1

11 Mar 2015

I have 8.1 myself and I can believe some may not have liked the marketing procedure here....I was in marketing myself and can tell you stories about how that goes but this is for another time.

I did not dump R7 either on here because the Line6 works just fine...I think that the Soft Tube thing could have been a lot better....if only...
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2015

Yeah i was writing about the Line 6 thing when for some reason i lost my edit! I think i got more preoccupied with that than the browser -> looks thing.

And even today i end up using Line 6 on a lot of stuff, rather than the Softubes. I have to say i tried the softubes, and i end up with too harsh or too dirty or too clean results whereas with the Line6, and also having PodFarm, i have 20+cabinets and amps, and there's always something for my needs.

normen

11 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:Yeah i was writing about the Line 6 thing when for some reason i lost my edit! I think i got more preoccupied with that than the browser -> looks thing.

And even today i end up using Line 6 on a lot of stuff, rather than the Softubes. I have to say i tried the softubes, and i end up with too harsh or too dirty or too clean results whereas with the Line6, and also having PodFarm, i have 20+cabinets and amps, and there's always something for my needs.

With most Line6 interfaces you can still record Line6 sounds directly into Reason, thats what I do with my UX-8 on my Reason machine, I seldom use the Reason Line6 device as a plugin. I always found the "intimate" connection of Line6 Pod and Reason nice too though, unlocking sounds with your Pod interface/software. Also kinda sad it will be gone (it isn't yet!).

As to the topic question: Yes, you guys totally over reacted  :m0358: :s0225:

mind2069

11 Mar 2015

I thinks for the price tag, reactions were justified.

But I think I know what went on at PH

Since 8.1 came very soon (discover integration) after reason 8.0, I mean they must of known discover was practically ready. I think  they needed to cash-in to realease it, the storage servers, bandwidth and everything else Discover cost's for operating.

Discover was realesed too close to Reason 8.0, they could of waited a liitle longer to release reason 8, but they needed the funds for discover, of course I have no proof but thats what I think.

stratatonic

11 Mar 2015

mind2069 wrote:I thinks for the price tag, reactions were justified

I think  they needed to cash-in...

.....they needed the funds
It sure did seem that they were looking for a lot of cash in a short time frame....(not sure if it was directly related to Discover), but...

First they wanted users to upgrade, well before the usual upgrade time frame, and for what is somewhat of an incomplete version.

Massive Black Friday/holiday season deals - traditionally Propellerhead never lowered the price of their flagship refills - and now great deals on REs to move product and collect coin. Even to the point of offering A-list guitar for 30% off mere months after it came out.
Talk about cannibalizing future full price sales of Prop REs....

Not sure what the profit margin is on the Booster Packs...

Rook

11 Mar 2015

I agree, the (few) features added in R8 are general improvements and needed to be done. But it's just not a good deal for anyone on R7, like me. An updated UI and browser, couple of sequencer improvements...not worth $130.

I always had the feeling that they had to rush the new version because of whatever fell through with Line 6 support. Maybe they planned to add more feature to make R8 a more robust offering, but ran out of time...? If that's the case, I would think we'd be seeing R8.5 pretty soon. Maybe not, I dunno...

In any case, I never had much of a problem with what R8 offered, just at how little there actually was. I might just end up waiting til R9, which is fine. I also skipped R6, and glad I did. R7 is awesome. Hopefully R9 will similarly be a great update for all of us who've waited.

Still, REALLY hoping they add some kind of ability to change color themes. Even just an option for a "dark theme" would be enough for me. The Reason transport, seq, and mixer, are just getting TOO bright for me to stare at all the time. That's one thing that really hits me when I switch over to Reaper...so much nicer to look at for long periods.

ClassickHitz

11 Mar 2015

I personally don't think I overreacted with regard to knowing this was a very thin feature output. Now the features that were provided are welcomed and in some cases appreciated but not necessarily needed like Discover, lol. 

As a regular Reason upgrade user it just took me some time to adjust to the notion that this wouldn't be a version I'd be getting immediately.

In the end, it came down to the value of this specific version compared to other upgrades  and even other DAW products. I skipped knowing I'll get more for my money with R9 even if they add only one new feature.

And that's the undeniable bliss those coming from version R6 and below are experiencing. 

ebop

11 Mar 2015

I was a little underwhelmed but bought R8. I wasn't as pumped prior to the release as I was prior to the R7 release. I think R8 wasn't an inspirational release because it only gave 'functional' improvements. Drag and drop hardly makes my tracks sound better. There weren't the benefits I got with R7 when it came to 'actual' musical improvements (busses, spec Eq/analyser, etc). I still think R8 is better than R7 and there's no way I'll go back. And I also think the mob lynching mentality that went on after the R8 release was excessive and some people really acted like pork chops.

• Information