Do you think we over-reacted?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

10 Mar 2015

Hello fellow Reasoners!

Do you think we over-reacted about Reason 8? I upgraded yesterday and already have made a new tune. The browser seems just fine to use, once I used it, I quickly learnt to use it smoothly.
The transport panel also grows on me, the more my eyes see it.
When looking back, I just feel, we over-reacted about the Reason 8.
It's always taking time, when a software has been changed. When props introduced a new sequencer,
back in the days, It was almost the same thing happening (people asked why I need to draw a clip before I can draw midi notes).

Anyway, this is how I feel - my first impressions with 8.1 were rather nice. :s0230:

Last Alternative

10 Mar 2015

I also changed my picture to a pineapple after the R8 announcement and was shocked by people's reactions... until I upgraded. I may have over-reacted a bit but the feeling remains. It's still a boring letdown.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

MirEko

10 Mar 2015

Bring on R9.. Until then R7 is doing just fine
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

gullum

10 Mar 2015

I think a lot of people over reacted R8 did not break anything except maybe patch browsing, but in every other aspect the browser is 1000 times better. To me R8 was a step forward although not as big of a step as previous versions, but still big enough that I would never go back.

HeartbreakOne

10 Mar 2015

I didn't "react" at all, but I will say that every time I see someone talking about using R8 or having it in their "list of things they use signature", I actually feel sorry for them, because I know they're working twice as hard as me with it (no offense).  I used the beta for 1 day and then later downloaded and ran the trial for 1 day and after trying out all of the "new" (including the Softube amps), I immediately uninstalled it both times and haven't even felt bad about it. 

R7 was just too good for them to try to push R8 the way it is.  I may not upgrade at all at this point, because I see they're not listening to people like me on what needs to be, and there are TOO MANY die-hard users who don't find the need for most things that aren't there and love what it has become. 

The way I see it, R7 is Windows XP and R8 is Windows Vista.  I'm getting everything I need out of R7 and I can't be bothered or charged to upgrade to something that feels like a downgrade.  I am not missing what it has, including the browser.  Most of those enhancements SHOULD HAVE been implemented in R7, but hey what are ya gonna do, right?
TO LET THE WORLD BE

zakalwe

10 Mar 2015

yes, of course.  it's the internet.

that doesn't mean it's a decent full upgrade.  it isn't.

deankay

10 Mar 2015

deepndark wrote:Hello fellow Reasoners!

Do you think we over-reacted about Reason 8? I upgraded yesterday and already have made a new tune. The browser seems just fine to use, once I used it, I quickly learnt to use it smoothly.
The transport panel also grows on me, the more my eyes see it.
When looking back, I just feel, we over-reacted about the Reason 8.
It's always taking time, when a software has been changed. When props introduced a new sequencer,
back in the days, It was almost the same thing happening (people asked why I need to draw a clip before I can draw midi notes).

Anyway, this is how I feel - my first impressions with 8.1 were rather nice. :s0230:
I don't feel that people were reacting to the new browser being a poor version at all. I, and many others agree that this was a much needed update and an important step forward. The problem came from it being a full version update and only getting some new workflow features for $129. Even though this was an essential update people(myself included) felt it was far too expensive an upgrade for what they were actually getting. 

I have no problem with Reason 8, in fact I really like it. But I just felt that I could get more from some RE's and refills than what R8 had to offer me. So having a limited amount of money to spend I made that choice.

People are more pissed off at the price than R8 itself.
But that's just my opinion

Sinistereo

10 Mar 2015

gullum wrote:I think a lot of people over reacted R8 did not break anything except maybe patch browsing, but in every other aspect the browser is 1000 times better. To me R8 was a step forward although not as big of a step as previous versions, but still big enough that I would never go back.
R8 completely destroyed the ability to work flexibly and efficiently with multiple monitors (the kind with pixels, not woofers) by bolting the browser to the sequencer.

CharlyCharlzz

10 Mar 2015

the real question is : is it very importent to release a upgrade every 9 months if you have not much to add in it ?
they do  great things at Props and i dont think I would stay on 7 if it was not but they can't make every upgrade a satisfaction for ultra budget users IMO ,
I am super budget so I feel to wait a little and since I waited so long now I cant buy R8 upgrade because i know by summer they will put out a new upgrade and blablabla !
I don't wait all year for sales but in the same time do and on every buy I do I get discount all the time on everything :D   I can wait for a fish for days !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

zakalwe

10 Mar 2015

personally, i'd like to see them go back to ~3 year upgrade cycles and just keep minor rolling upgrades for RE stuff.  i always felt like i knew where i stood back in those days.

and they do kind of need users to stay current to push the RE format.

QVprod

10 Mar 2015

It was a weak upgrade. That doesn't mean the features added were bad. Just not enough to justify the price. Reason is still Reason, If you can make a song in one version you can make a song in any.

Social Exodus

10 Mar 2015

deepndark wrote:Hello fellow Reasoners!

Do you think we over-reacted about Reason 8?
reasonuser27 wrote:
Uh..."we"...?  I was one of those people who didn't really give a shit and I changed my avatar to a funny pineapple avatar while people were throwing little cyber fits.

I think he meant the community as a whole.  The field seemed split to me, but as with all things on the Internet you really have to take things with a rather large grain of salt. 

In the end, it's an optional software upgrade and nothing more.  That many people felt somewhat jilted by Propellerheads is somewhat justified, especially in light of the current promo for new users that gives the stuff many of us (including myself) had to pay handsomely for.  But then again, the boys in Stockholm don't owe us anything in my opinion.  I bought their product under the (then) current terms and have no right or expectation of anything more than what I bought.  When I buy a new car, I don't expect Subaru to come along and give me a sunroof or a new XM Radio later.  If they OFFER to do that, it is a gift and not grounds for future expectations.  But by the same token, if something that was advertised is actually broken or buggy, I do expect Propellerheads (or Subaru lol) to make that right gratis. 
I think that is where Propellerheads went wrong -- giving stuff away to the point of making it an expectation.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

trimph1

10 Mar 2015

Sometimes a truckload of salt is needed.

But it was always thus I guess...anytime an upgrade is done someone will complain about something. I like how it is working here.

Other people may have issues with it..and I would like to see those get fixed.

....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

gullum wrote:I think a lot of people over reacted R8 did not break anything except maybe patch browsing, but in every other aspect the browser is 1000 times better. To me R8 was a step forward although not as big of a step as previous versions, but still big enough that I would never go back.
Sinistereo wrote:
R8 completely destroyed the ability to work flexibly and efficiently with multiple monitors (the kind with pixels, not woofers) by bolting the browser to the sequencer.
I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote:I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
It's bolted to the sequencer. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with multiple monitors. Yeah, if you didn't put the rack on the left of the sequencer, you'll have more dragging to do, but rack to the left, and mixer to the right is totally workable. I don't get the complaints there.

Where this breaks down is if you were like me, and detached the rack and mixer, but only have one monitor. I found the detached views provided a little more viewing space than the attached versions, and I liked being able to switch windows by using the task bar (made more difficult with Win8, but I adjusted preferences there).

I changed the way I work, even with R7, to not detach the windows anymore, and learned the F-keys to switch, because I knew I'd be going to R8 at some point.

Exowildebeest

10 Mar 2015

I use a single monitor with detached windows. I really like that and I still do, but the drag&drop is largely lost on me.

It feels even sillier because the rack has half the screen unused (I never make horizontal racks) - the browser could be there, instead of hogging space in the sequencer, space that the sequencer could use.

zeebot

10 Mar 2015

As an R7.1 user and with a pricetag of 129 for minor tweaks + amps I will never use I dont think I overreacted.
It's been hashed over many many times, it was a very poor upgrade for 7.1 users.
Hey if you enjoy using it fine, knock yourself out and create tons of new tracks :)
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

joeyluck

10 Mar 2015

Yes.  Yes y'all did lol.
I did enjoy hearing people complain that R8 offered nothing they wanted... and then hear them continue to say that they think it should be a free update (for things they don't want, of course). :s0238:  

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote:I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
ScuzzyEye wrote: It's bolted to the sequencer. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with multiple monitors. Yeah, if you didn't put the rack on the left of the sequencer, you'll have more dragging to do, but rack to the left, and mixer to the right is totally workable. I don't get the complaints there.

Where this breaks down is if you were like me, and detached the rack and mixer, but only have one monitor. I found the detached views provided a little more viewing space than the attached versions, and I liked being able to switch windows by using the task bar (made more difficult with Win8, but I adjusted preferences there).

I changed the way I work, even with R7, to not detach the windows anymore, and learned the F-keys to switch, because I knew I'd be going to R8 at some point.
I asked if R7's browser dialog is "bolted" to the main window - I'm aware R8 is bolted to the sequencer.

Again, asking if in R7 with multiple windows, isn't the browser "bolted" to the main window and opens there every time? I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between the brewers in R7 vs R8 when using multiple monitors. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ixus

10 Mar 2015

I like the update. The least awesome one in recent times maybe but still good. I've gotten used to the browser and now it feels empty to take it away, I always keep it open. Then again I have a 24" screen, on a laptop I would not keep it open all the time. The transport bar is something I dont really like, everything is white and I still fumble sometimes when searching for specific buttons. Since nothing is color coded you cant just quickly move your eyes over and instantly find what you want. Did they fix that in 8.1? I should download that..

lowpryo

10 Mar 2015

yes, the patch browsing was THE thing that I was incredibly upset about at first. i know it was just an unintended side effect of their new system, but the lack of a "cancel" button to revert back to an old patch totally killed my workflow for a while. it just seemed like such a major oversight. however, i've started to make most of my synths from scratch now anyways, so with that one complaint mostly behind me, i'm happy with the changes. (maybe the price is too high too, yeah)

KEVMOVE02

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote: I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
If I understand your question, the Browser is locked to main screen and docked to the Sequencer. You only have the option to detach the Rack or the Mixer. There is no option to detach the sequencer. You can hide (collapse) the browser with the F3 key, which allows the sequencer to fill the whole screen. No option to dock the Browser to the Rack or the Mixer. Considering the Rack doesn't fill the whole screen, it would be awesome to have the rack and patch browser on the same screen.

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

selig wrote: I've not used multiple monitors but my impression was that the browser was always bolted to the first/primary window (which hasn't changed, right?). Or was it able to be moved to any window after you opened it?
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
If I understand your question, the Browser is locked to main screen and docked to the Sequencer. You only have the option to detach the Rack or the Mixer. There is no option to detach the sequencer. You can hide (collapse) the browser with the F3 key, which allows the sequencer to fill the whole screen. No option to dock the Browser to the Rack or the Mixer. Considering the Rack doesn't fill the whole screen, it would be awesome to have the rack and patch browser on the same screen.
Sorry I'm being so unclear - I'm asking about R7, as I fully understand how R8 since I've been alpha and beta testing it for quite some time before it was even released (but you didn't hear that from me!). ;)

I've never used multiple monitors and wonder why Sinistereo claims it totally breaks the multi screen workflow. I was under the impression that the R7 browser always opened in the main window similar to how it now always opens attached to the sequencer.

Doesn't seem to me like anything changed according to that description, but I'm guessing I missed something here. Anyone? :)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:
lowprio wrote:  
yes, the patch browsing was THE thing that I was incredibly upset about at first. i know it was just an unintended side effect of their new system, but the lack of a "cancel" button to revert back to an old patch totally killed my workflow for a while. it just seemed like such a major oversight. however, i've started to make most of my synths from scratch now anyways, so with that one complaint mostly behind me, i'm happy with the changes. (maybe the price is too high too, yeah)
There are a few (that I know of) including myself that have submitted detailed feature suggestions as to how to address this issue. Hopefully the Props are listening! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

KEVMOVE02

10 Mar 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
selig wrote:
Sorry I'm being so unclear - I'm asking about R7, as I fully understand how R8 since I've been alpha and beta testing it for quite some time before it was even released (but you didn't hear that from me!). ;)

I've never used multiple monitors and wonder why 
selig wrote:Sinistereo
selig wrote:claims it totally breaks the multi screen workflow. I was under the impression that the R7 browser always opened in the main window similar to how it now always opens attached to the sequencer.

Doesn't seem to me like anything changed according to that description, but I'm guessing I missed something here. Anyone? :)
In R7 the Patch Browser appears on the active monitor; you could also move it around. The R8 Patch Browser is bolted to the sequencer, making it very similar to Ableton Live Patch Browser. 

• Information