How would you recreate this dry fat FM bass from "F For You" by Disclosure?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reason2dance

07 Mar 2015

Link...

Messed around with the PX7 RE but couldn't nail it so far. I'll never get used to its settings, which are somehow mysterious and inexplicable for me. A chorus also would be duty, right? What else? Thanks for enlightenment!  :s0801:

Benedict
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2015

What makes you think it is FM?

I'm think it is seems more like SH-101 or maybe Juno 106 because it seems to have variety and maybe even resonance. If I were to make it with FM then Thor should do the trick. FM is quite different from subtractive so you do need to do some study of theory.

Is a pretty cool track.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

reason2dance

09 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:What makes you think it is FM?

I'm think it is seems more like SH-101 or maybe Juno 106 because it seems to have variety and maybe even resonance. If I were to make it with FM then Thor should do the trick. FM is quite different from subtractive so you do need to do some study of theory.

Is a pretty cool track.

:)
Yeah, it's cool indeed. Regarding FM: Read it somewhere, unfortunately no link anymore. I'm a preset junkie, I always start from something present and move from there. I guess that's why some people are sound designers and some people buy and take sophisticated soundsets, sample packs or ReFills...

CharlyCharlzz

09 Mar 2015

It sound like a 303 bass , I'm shure at a 100% of that ! and there is some filterated 808 drums so I guess they used a real 303 for that bass !

I could do this easy in my volca bass but into reason I would find a simple 303 emulation combinator then teak the patch like a real 303 to match your sound  . 

there is a lot of tutorials for that :

http://youtu.be/a3C0xBEsr1o

http://youtu.be/3RsYHxkU46o

but you got to try ABL2 RE for shure it's really maybe the fastest solution ;)
http://youtu.be/5n-fWrsAuk8

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

reason2dance

09 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: It sound like a 303 bass , I'm shure at a 100% of that ! and there is some filterated 808 drums so I guess they used a real 303 for that bass !

I could do this easy in my volca bass but into reason I would find a simple 303 emulation combinator then teak the patch like a real 303 to match your sound  . 

there is a lot of tutorials for that :

[...]

[...]

but you got to try ABL2 RE for shure it's really maybe the fastest solution ;)
[...]
Thanks! This one is for you:

Link...

CharlyCharlzz

09 Mar 2015

sweet track ! :thumbup:
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

nooomy

17 Mar 2015

nah guys, this is 100 % a Fm synth

https://youtu.be/cGG8puJBQ8Q?t=2m31s

Just listen to my attached FM synth made by 2 thors

Attachments
FMbass.zip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

fac

27 Mar 2015

Very close!

But too fm regarding the original, I don't think it's just eqing over... maybe there is some layering.

Regarding your patch, so you use audio in 1 to modulate the FM amount between modulator and carrier of your second instance. Why do you need two instances of thor? You could make the routine in one i think, maybe it's because you need volume env on first FM o/c??

nooomy

27 Mar 2015

yes u need the env.

personally i dont think its any layering. u just need to find the right settings and effects. its also important to listen to how the kick interacts with the bass

fac

27 Mar 2015

The routing you made between the two instances is particular. For me the FM implementation in Thor is not a classic FM implementation, it s more a simplification but the possibility to route an external signal to modulate the FM amount between the modulator and the carrier is just Fantastic. Do you know any other virtual synth that provides this kind of routing? I've tried Operator, Crystal, Dexed... and those do not provide that feature :frown:

nooomy

27 Mar 2015

fac wrote:The routing you made between the two instances is particular. For me the FM implementation in Thor is not a classic FM implementation, it s more a simplification but the possibility to route an external signal to modulate the FM amount between the modulator and the carrier is just Fantastic. Do you know any other virtual synth that provides this kind of routing? I've tried Operator, Crystal, Dexed... and those do not provide that feature :frown:

No i dont think so but im not shure.

That what makes Reason unique 

• Information