New tuner of Ableton Live

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

Most say Ableton impresses me a lot lately. And the new tuner in Ableton Live 9.2 is the best software tuner ever because it is EXTREMELY precise.

I hope the Props will improve the Reason tuner one day. 

normen

06 Mar 2015

What do you mean by "precise"? From what I found the usability of a tuner lies more in how much it integrates the small changes and keeps the display somewhat static. When you have a tuner thats actually "precise" you inevitably get the display wildly jumping around because in reality the pitch is changing all the time when the string vibrates.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

normen wrote:When you have a tuner thats actually "precise" you inevitably get the display wildly jumping around because in reality the pitch is changing all the time when the string vibrates.
This is what makes the Ableton Tuner so superb. It has different modes for this jumpy behavior. But it make the Tuner very precise, showing any small detuning going on in the signal. Reason's tuner is not as precise.

Take a look at the screenshot I posted:

Attachments
tuner-ableton-live.png
tuner-ableton-live.png (43.91 KiB) Viewed 1654 times

EnochLight

06 Mar 2015

Agreed; Live's new tuner is awesome.  Now, if Ableton could only fix the trainwreck of a shitty inspirational DAW that is Live...   :)

Attachments
Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png
Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-poker-45046.png (458.02 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2015

I must say I've only ever used Reason's tuner for guitar, but I've never had issues with it - works perfectly for me!  

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

Well I love Live. Only the Softube Amp and Cabinet suck big time. Never understood why they did such a bad job for Ableton.

EnochLight

06 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Well I love Live. Only the Softube Amp and Cabinet suck big time. Never understood why they did such a bad job for Ableton.
Thankfully, you have decent Softube amps in Reason.  Do you find yourself using ReWire at all to use Reason in Live, or do you just stay in Live for that part?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

Most of the time I use either Live or Reason. Rewire has this issue that all audio is rendered in low quality time-stretch because it needs to do the calculations in real-time. I have had issues with it so it's Live or Reason most of the time. 

normen

06 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Most of the time I use either Live or Reason. Rewire has this issue that all audio is rendered in low quality time-stretch because it needs to do the calculations in real-time. I have had issues with it so it's Live or Reason most of the time. 
? Funny, there should be no such thing going on, the ReWire slave simply uses the clock of the master as all audio hardware handling is done by the master. Must be an issue of Live then, when I rewire Reason to Logic theres no change in sound at all.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Most of the time I use either Live or Reason. Rewire has this issue that all audio is rendered in low quality time-stretch because it needs to do the calculations in real-time. I have had issues with it so it's Live or Reason most of the time. 
normen wrote:
? Funny, there should be no such thing going on, the ReWire slave simply uses the clock of the master as all audio hardware handling is done by the master. Must be an issue of Live then, when I rewire Reason to Logic theres no change in sound at all.
No, I had contact with Propellerhead Support on this. It depends on the audio material. But I noticed it when using loops (rx2) rewired/slaved to Ableton Live. It's a Reason "feature" and the Props are aware of it. 

normen

06 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: No, I had contact with Propellerhead Support on this. It depends on the audio material. But I noticed it when using loops (rx2) rewired/slaved to Ableton Live. It's a Reason "feature" and the Props are aware of it. 
Ah, I seldom use rex loops, good to know, thanks. Though nowadays I mostly use two separate computers for Reason and Logic.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: No, I had contact with Propellerhead Support on this. It depends on the audio material. But I noticed it when using loops (rx2) rewired/slaved to Ableton Live. It's a Reason "feature" and the Props are aware of it. 
normen wrote:
Ah, I seldom use rex loops, good to know, thanks. Though nowadays I mostly use two separate computers for Reason and Logic.
Keep in that all audio will be timestretched in low quality when Reason is slaved via Rewire. But if the tempo stays the same, there will be no problem. I stay away from using it this way. Would be cool if Reason would be able to run as Rewire Master but I am afraid we will never see that happen.

normen

07 Mar 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: Keep in that all audio will be timestretched in low quality when Reason is slaved via Rewire. But if the tempo stays the same, there will be no problem. I stay away from using it this way. Would be cool if Reason would be able to run as Rewire Master but I am afraid we will never see that happen.
If the audio is time stretched that is.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2015

Seriously i can find 100 different things to improve/add in Reason before tweaking the tuner!!!! :/

• Information