Do you layer things??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Purpleb

05 Mar 2015

I know it probably depends on the song, part, sound, etc.
But do you layer parts to make them fatter, thicker, wider, etc.?
If so do you do it often? And what do you like to layer: leads, pads, drums, bass?

Thanks

motuscott

05 Mar 2015

I shoot for sparse arrangements with bold sounds.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

vocoderboy

05 Mar 2015

depends on the situation

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2015

I layer my tracks like I layer my clothing - on a "as needed" basis. For example, yesterday I needed five layers to stay warm:

Layers: Use 'em when you need 'em.
:)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_3.17.55_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_3.17.55_PM.png (380.18 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Selig Audio, LLC

PSoames

05 Mar 2015

The parts I'm most likely to layer are samples to create a sound-scape or because my playing is so ropey, adding some keyboard bass to an electric bass. Oh and drums.

But as others have said, the situation drives the requirement and mode of implementation.

X1Lo

05 Mar 2015

The only songs I don't layer sounds in is when I'm making psytrance.  I synthesize the drums/cymbals and try and keep as few synths playing at one time as possible, while doing as much absurd modulation with them as I can.  If I'm working on an uplifting trance song, I probably go a bit overboard with the layering to be honest.
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

JoshuaPhilgarlic

06 Mar 2015

Sure, I layer when I feel that something needs to be layered ;) . Mostly on bass sounds: sometimes I add a sub, sometimes I add another synth for the attack...

Pads are also good for layering - when necessary. The same for leads.

Drums? I never layer drums! I'm totally happy with Kings-of-Kong (which I use 90% for standard drums).

Generally I don't layer to just "fatter, thicker, wider" (except for bass perhaps) but to add a certain aspect to a sound. An analog bass might be cool, but with a little FM attack it might work better :kiss: ?!?!?

gullum

06 Mar 2015

Ogars are like onions layer upon layers and I don't like Ogars. I layer if I feel it's needed.

Ecopro

06 Mar 2015

gullum wrote:Ogars are like onions layer upon layers and I don't like Ogars. I layer if I feel it's needed.
Did you mean: Ogres
Guts Electronic Mayhem

Last Alternative

06 Mar 2015

I layer guitars. Sometimes snare. Rarely bass. Vocals every so often.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Ecopro

06 Mar 2015

gullum wrote:Ogars are like onions layer upon layers and I don't like Ogars. I layer if I feel it's needed.
Ecopro wrote:
Ecopro wrote:Did you mean:
Ecopro wrote: 
Ecopro wrote:Ogres
GeorgeFeb wrote:
Come on Ed, he meant orgies! :)
So then you would need an extra layer of protection. :D
Guts Electronic Mayhem

Ecopro

06 Mar 2015

selig wrote:I layer my tracks like I layer my clothing - on a "as needed" basis. For example, yesterday I needed five layers to stay warm:

Layers: Use 'em when you need 'em.
:)
Make sure you take care out there Giles! We don't want to lose another good developer to Xtreme Sports. We still need some more intelligent and unique Res. ;)
Guts Electronic Mayhem

forensickbeats

06 Mar 2015

If there are not conflicting frq - layering can add betterness, but it depends, I picked SOMETIMES.

Raveshaper

09 Mar 2015

I guess it depends on what layering means, but I voted "always."

I'm always filtering out a specific frequency range or two from the original sound on an instrument and adding it back in with some sort of subtle changes applied as a way of getting more depth in the final sound.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

gullum

11 Mar 2015

Ecopro wrote:
Ecopro wrote:Did you mean:
Ecopro wrote: 
Ecopro wrote:Ogres
GeorgeFeb wrote:
Come on Ed, he meant orgies! :)

No No then I would def not say I don't like :D yes I think Ogres is the right name. but in Shrek it sounded like Ogar to me.

Rook

11 Mar 2015

I know people talk all the time about layering stuff, but (for me) it seems to cause more problems in the mix than it's worth. Especially with kick drums...it's easier for me to find ONE good sample that I like and EQ it to fit the track, than to pick one for the bottom end, one for the top end click, one for the punchy mids...even with filtering, that's just asking for mix problems, imo.

Having said that, I usually do layer a sub bass with a more aggressive, top-end kinda bass, when the song calls for it. When I do that, I always high-pass the top end bass so it doesn't get in the way of the sub or the kick drum.

Of course, there's some layering that goes into sound design itself. I might have a piano type patch that's layered with a plucky synth or something like that. But that's more to change the actual timbre than it is to make something sound "fatter".

"Fat" sounds usually sound good on their own, but are not as useful in a mix, I've found.

ClassickHitz

11 Mar 2015

Always!! For me layering is a must when it comes to Hip/Hop RnB tracks.

NMRosta

13 Mar 2015

Layer layer layer layer! Thats how i work to get the perfect flow of textures that i need.

So... i most ofen use paralell chanels that i route to one chanel that i later bounce,.

then i work with the bounced material in 1 or 2 - 3 layers baserd on WET/far away   CLEAN/close  and one or two that i just have to fill the emty room with about 1 or 2% volume..

And all this is just with one instrument...

All this is also what i love with Reason.. the easy (clean and fast) bounce system just make it possible to put tons of angry agressive fx/dynamic/filter on it without killing the comphuter..

Marketblandings

16 Mar 2015

I layer if experimentation produces a great sound.
I have had very interesting results with layered elect. Pianos. Vibes backed up with a quieter synth sound. Multiple trumpets playing in unison but detuned a bit etc. etc.

gak

16 Mar 2015

Cripes, I don't even know HOW to do this in reason currently  :s0225:

C//AZM

16 Mar 2015

I layer as if my life depends on it.Sometimes it's traditional stull like piano with a touch of string or bells, and other times it's me creating a big pad out of several subtractors and malstroms. A lot of times, the trick is to combine something with a hard attack with something that fades in. Lots of playing with the envelops and also tuning helps.

• Information