Do you use BLOCKS?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

04 Mar 2015

I used to use blocks almost exclusively, years ago when they were first introduced.  The other day I realized that I have not been using them since 2012.  I like blocks, but for some reason, I stopped using them.  I'm not sure why.

How about you guys.  Do you use blocks, or just use the song mode?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Concep

04 Mar 2015

I use them for arranging songs.  It really helps me to move on to a different segment and stop tweaking.

lowpryo

04 Mar 2015

my favorite way to use blocks is for visualizing my song structure. i don't actually put anything in the blocks, but i sometimes draw them out over the track just so the sequencer is visually divided and colored.

Ronin

04 Mar 2015

I use it a little bit, but they really need to make stackable blocks. Need to be able to layer the blocks like ableton.

Mich01

04 Mar 2015

I mostly use blocks to build a structure for my song. After having a rough structure I do some arrangement (extra tracks, muting etc) in the songmode. It works fine for me.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2015

This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUbMjES6Xj0&t=190

... the best description i have ever heard for blocks, and it's how i use them. It's a great tool to go from a snippet to a song, imho!

eusti

04 Mar 2015

I only use them as notes to what is what in the structure... They're empty though...

D.

tibah

04 Mar 2015

Nope. :)

challism

04 Mar 2015

I'm going to make myself start using blocks again.  I don't know why I strayed from them for the past 3 years.  Anyway... my next project will be block-based; perhaps it will help get me out of the creativity rut I have been feeling the past few weeks.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

C//AZM

04 Mar 2015

I usually do the structure as blocks then add extra tracks in song mode. I use them all the time but I wish they had more functionality such as; (oh, and excuse me if any of this has been fixed in 8, I'm still on 7)
Copy/paste a block
nested blocks
easily play blocks in time and in order for auditioning

motuscott

04 Mar 2015

Yes.
Though I wouldn't complain if the PHeads forced some additional functionality on us.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2015

Yeap, but the way you get from a simple snippet to a song, is clearly helped by blocks.

Sometimes you just have to invert some stuff, or switch stuff off, and so on, and it's quite easier than do that directly on the sequencer.

FrankJaeger

04 Mar 2015

Yes, all of the time. Once I get a good drum pattern going I use BLOCKS as pseudo "markers" like the ones in Logic X. I can then change up the drum patterns for each section of the song before adding any other instrumentation.

It makes it a lot easier to build a good song structure like working on the chorus first then the verses, bridges etc. It will also help you stay out of the dreaded  :shock: 4-Bar Loop Limbo :shock: .
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

pushedbutton

04 Mar 2015

I love blocks. People seem to get the wrong idea about them an write them off because they don't realise that the best thing to do is us a combination of blocks and the song window to maintain a balance of structure and creativity. If you try to use blocks for everything you'll start to wish you didn't but even the fact that you can use different coloured strips to mark out the verse and chorus makes them worth having. Using offset can be a bit confusing but if you persist you get a feel for it you can devise some really useful shortcuts. It gets confusing when you've placed a note before the 'one' but for steady beats and basslines blocks works really well. The trick is knowing when you're trying to do too much with them.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

rvman

04 Mar 2015

I've yet to use them. May try it out today since I've got the day off.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Soundcells

04 Mar 2015

Blocks sometimes for visualizing the structure of the tracks, but most to color the arrange window  :)

Orion

04 Mar 2015

mcatalao wrote:... the best description i have ever heard for blocks, and it's how i use them.
I watched it, but can you explain basically what you're doing?

gak

04 Mar 2015

Really haven't. But I'm pretty new.

True

04 Mar 2015

I use blocks for repetitive parts (for example, a programmed bass line). I'd rather repeat a block than copy/paste a track.

I also make heavy use of blocks during the demo phase. I don't want to have to worry about lots of comps when I'm just trying to lay down a feel, so I get one decent take for a block of each song segment and build from there.

Shokstar

04 Mar 2015

I´m using Blocks only to color the grid. I think it´s nice to work with blocks than you like to do a Remix of your own song and a radio edit etc. so you can switch between these songs with blocks :D

vocoderboy

04 Mar 2015

IchMensch wrote:Nope. :)

what he said ^

Last Alternative

04 Mar 2015

I always use blocks but only for labeling intro, verse, chorus, solo, bridge, outro, etc. and I color them. It's mostly for a quick visual. And I don't copy/paste block sections of notes and stuff- just for labeling.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

OldSchoolSkunk

04 Mar 2015

I use them all the time... I used to use them to separate chorus and verse parts but now I use the "1 Block method"  I put all parts into one block and "linear compose" muting various tracks when needed..and it makes adding things afterward easier and last minute changes simpler. :)

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:my favorite way to use blocks is for visualizing my song structure. i don't actually put anything in the blocks, but i sometimes draw them out over the track just so the sequencer is visually divided and colored.
That's exactly how I use them. If you could make a selection and convert it to blocks I might use it more for actual arrangements. 

In fact, I just created a new version of my song template where I have the first 8 blocks or so named with the common song structure sections (Intro, Verse, Pre Chorus, etc). So all my verses are one color, choruses are another. To identify the 2nd chorus from the 1st (when necessary), I use the "add labels to clips" feature. It seems to be making it easier to work with tracks (especially for outside clients) because I use consistent colors and can quickly know what section I'm on at all times just by the background color alone. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information