A good ear and high Disney threshold required.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

03 Mar 2015

I'm not fantastic at pitch recognition and when the song does my head in I find it doubly difficult. Alas I need to create a vocal guide track to accompany the piano track I have for 'let it go' from 'Frozen', you might have heard it once or twice in passing.
I have two versions of the file in R8 format or I suppose if you're really keen I can export a midi of the work I've done so far as well.
I've done a rough guess of where most of the melody is but I'm concerned that prolonged exposure to this track might cause a brain tumour, so I wondered if anyone who finds such a job easier would be willing to help tidy up the rough edges so it can be used with Neptune on a vocal.
Here's the file without the audio for those who don't want a large file

and here's the file with the song ripped from youtube (please don't tell Disney)

and cos I know you'll ask, here's the midi.

Cheers :)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pushedbutton

04 Mar 2015

Aww please. :frown:
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

eusti

04 Mar 2015

I'm not the right person for this, but I don't think I even really understand what you are asking for! Sorry!

D.

pushedbutton

04 Mar 2015

Well in a nutshell I got the piano track, the vocalist doesn't sing the same notes as the piano plays so I've had a go at tracking that midi channel manually by ear. I just want it checking and some fine tuning doing to it.

Concep

04 Mar 2015

Not completely on topic, but I cringe every time I hear the movie version of Let it Go.  Idina Menzel simply cannot hit those high notes, even with pitch correction.  Terrible and pitchy after the first part of the song.  My 2 year old daughter makes me watch this movie quite a lot, and it's nails on the chalkboard every time.  I have to wonder what the guys in the soundbooth were thinking when she was tracking vocals.  I imagine them spending an entire day on that part, and then just saying "fuck it, we're done!"

pushedbutton

04 Mar 2015

I'm glad you said that, so I'm not the only one thinking 'Hey, that's not even a note!'.

ScuzzyEye if I bought my way out of trouble every time I hit a problem like that my finances would die a death from a thousand cuts. If you think it's cheap I'm happy for you to donate it to me, it would be for a good cause. :)

pushedbutton

07 Mar 2015

Concep wrote:Not completely on topic, but I cringe every time I hear the movie version of Let it Go.  Idina Menzel simply cannot hit those high notes, even with pitch correction.  Terrible and pitchy after.....!"
Idina Menzel doesn't sing on the movie version. I've not seen it so I dont know how bad the original version is. Not surprisingly nobody's taken up the challenge so does anyone have any tips on making this less of a chore?

eusti

07 Mar 2015

pushedbutton wrote:Well in a nutshell I got the piano track, the vocalist doesn't sing the same notes as the piano plays so I've had a go at tracking that midi channel manually by ear. I just want it checking and some fine tuning doing to it.
Thx for explaining!

D.

selig
RE Developer

07 Mar 2015

Concep wrote:Not completely on topic, but I cringe every time I hear the movie version of Let it Go.  Idina Menzel simply cannot hit those high notes, even with pitch correction.  Terrible and pitchy after the first part of the song.  My 2 year old daughter makes me watch this movie quite a lot, and it's nails on the chalkboard every time.  I have to wonder what the guys in the soundbooth were thinking when she was tracking vocals.  I imagine them spending an entire day on that part, and then just saying "fuck it, we're done!"
Wow, I just went back and listened to her version expecting to be revolted, but it sounds fine to me! Not sure what you are hearing that is so horrible, I don't even hear "bad" pitch correction (and I've done a LOT of vocal tuning on folks you all have heard of). Oh well, to each their own - may you are just plain tired of the song (like just about everyone else)?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Julibee

07 Mar 2015

wait... I'm not sure what the challenge is... do you need a vocalist who can sing this song or a midi file to correct a vocalist?

I can sing this song.  I don't wanna, but I had to perform it for a bunch of 1st graders last year (they BEGGED me, LOL). Might as well use the hideous knowledge if I have it. LOL

If that's all you need, pm me a link to a wav or mp3 (I don't have 8). Tell me the tempo. I don't need the project, and I'll send you some dry vox from beginning. As for midi... it would take me a LOT longer, as I've never played it.

But it does beg the question - WHY?????
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

pushedbutton

07 Mar 2015

All I need is the vocal track accurately tracking in midi so that i can use neptune on the voices of people with learning disabilities and let them think they're a pop star. if you want to sing a vocal guide for them too then that would be really nice of you but not entirely necessary.
I haven't checked for permission to share an example of what it achieves but if I can I'll get back with one next week if i can.

try the midi file I uploaded, the vocal lane just needs improving on.

Julibee

07 Mar 2015

That is seriously awesome. I love it.

If you can wait a few days, I'll see what I can do. Won't have time tomorrow, but maybe Monday or Tuesday I could work a few things out. That ok?

pushedbutton

08 Mar 2015

You're a star! The group meets on Tuesday's but if you don't hit it this week it's ok.

mbfrancis

08 Mar 2015

Why don't you buy the sheet music and do it yourself?  http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/se/ID_N ... oduct.aspx

I don't what you guys are talking about, Idina Menzel crushes it.  It's exhilarating when she starts the chorus and she's running up the stairs, not ashamed to admit.  
 Edit: links don't automatically render as links WTH?  Here is a link: http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/se/ID_N ... oduct.aspx
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

pushedbutton

08 Mar 2015

I love my job but I'm not going to spend 1/3rd of an hour at work to enable me to work. It seems petty but it's easy to forget where to draw the line so I don't do it.
I'd rather spend the time getting better at doing this so I don't have to rely on buying my way out of trouble. Going through this process will give me the opportunity to see how I'm doing. I know what I've come up with isn't quite right but I'm hoping it's not a million miles away. Just buying something to make the problem go away would mean I wouldn't learn anything.
I'm not against buying a midi file to use for a commercial release but at the moment there's nobody to bill. Due to the nature of my work we have to try stuff out and see if an idea sticks. I could probably totally justify the £2.50 that this track would cost but because their is a massive chasm between the cash money we collect and the accounts department who authorise our online spending I find it easier to ask to spend £250 than £2.50.
I could also spend it out of my own pocket, print out a receipt and then submit it as a petty cash claim but that just reduces the amount of cash available in my pocket for noodles and baked beans.
Yes I'm a cheapskate, 10 years doing my job and you would be too but if you think about how many track we could buy that might or might not be used, 10 tracks at £2.50 each is £25, you might get through 10 tracks per person per month, that's 2/3rd of the budget for everything from travel, admission and brew stuff. I wholeheartedly support using licensed tracks and if we get a group member who want to go as far as producing a commercial release I will help them to register on google and make sure they have all the licensing in place so that they can keep the money it makes. If this was part of the services for everyone a) it would be a waste of time and money for some and b) it would eat into our brew, travel and admission budget. Plus sometimes it's nice to ask people for help to see if you can make friends. :)
So now that you've had a long winded explanation of why I want to waste my time doing something that somebody had already done I look forward to seeing what comes of it. :)

Julibee

10 Mar 2015

I pm'd you, PB! :)

pushedbutton

10 Mar 2015

I thank you ;)

• Information