The Most Stupid Features and Mistakes in Reason ?!?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CharlyCharlzz

05 Mar 2015

motuscott wrote:That escalated quickly.
And was edited quickly.

haha yhea I tryed to RE-think the Reason's :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Janvier

05 Mar 2015

I don't know why Im reading this shitty thread ! Im piss of people complaining about what they don't fuckin' have. Focus on what you already have instead, your everyday life will become better!! If you are not happy with what you have then shut up and fuckin' go away.

CharlyCharlzz

06 Mar 2015

Janvier wrote:I don't know why Im reading this shitty thread ! Im piss of people complaining about what they don't fuckin' have. Focus on what you already have instead, your everyday life will become better!! If you are not happy with what you have then shut up and fuckin' go away.

sorry to ear this thread hurt your feelings but I am also kind of sick of peoples complaining about peoples complaining ....
this thread was usefull because one of my troubles was solved when back in the puf nobody could help .

not happy with peoples complaining in the forum is not happy with what you have to me so you give advises you dont fallow , why not take the door out of my thread ?!?

jappe

06 Mar 2015

The way transposing notes works when marking sequencer lane parts in one lane and being able to mark another lane as a whole.

This has VERY often lead to unintended note transpose for other parts of the tune than I had marked! Not fun when 5 versions later you find out, when you play the tune from the beginning, that something doesn't sound right, something has been unintendedly transposed.

TBH I haven't yet encountered it in R8, perhaps they changed the policy/priority of focus with regard to marking a whole lane vs marking a part in another lane.

There must be other ppl out there who have found this to be a problem?

jappe

06 Mar 2015

Last Alternative wrote:I guess the biggest mistake(s), I would say, is that ever since REs, PH has virtually abandoned any need or desire for innovation, aside from a few things. Now it seems they feel we should shut up and deal with CPU chomping 3rd party stuff with bugs (many of which are never resolved) that hold no weight compared to what PH could make and the fact that everything PH used to make were stock tools and now get off on charging up the butt, plus the fact that they have completely abandoned what they're all about.. or were all about- being an affordable fun system. And I guess they're totally cool leaving out important standard things like advanced audio editing, crossfade, a simple comprehensible PH brand STOCK multi-band compressor. Nah- who needs that anyway..

The ratio of features : price is a sad, sad boring letdown now. We should be seeing R9 this year maybe and that will determine if I stay or go.
I think the Prop's wouldn't like to compete with the RE developers and make a device that's would make any RE obsolete. I suspect core Reason devices have a performance advantage compared to RE:s.
If they will improve things, then it should be something outside the RE sandbox, like sequencer functionality, mixer etc.

Or, if they decide to develop some truly unique RE I guess they could do that. It would be good if they have the courtesy of alerting RE developers before doing so, just in case someone is working hard with a similar device at the same time.

Ecopro

06 Mar 2015

You guys need to chill, really. Tools can only be as good as the tool bearer. 
Guts Electronic Mayhem

CharlyCharlzz

06 Mar 2015

Ecopro wrote:You guys need to chill, really. Tools can only be as good as the tool bearer. 

or the tool maker ....

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2015

Janvier wrote:I don't know why Im reading this shitty thread ! Im piss of people complaining about what they don't fuckin' have. Focus on what you already have instead, your everyday life will become better!! If you are not happy with what you have then shut up and fuckin' go away.
Well you probably wouldn't be happy with reading other folk's feature suggestions either. But there's a solution if you're tired of reading stuff like this - don't read or post in this thread! 

I'm sure you wouldn't like being told to shut up and go away, and I'd venture a guess no one else does either - chill!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Janvier

06 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
Well you probably wouldn't be happy with reading other folk's feature suggestions either. But there's a solution if you're tired of reading stuff like this - don't read or post in this thread! 

I'm sure you wouldn't like being told to shut up and go away, and I'd venture a guess no one else does either - chill!

Actually, in a some way, you are telling me to shut up and go away. Its only that you do it in a gentle and diplomatic manner haha !! 

Yesterday, it was fullmoon and I was a werewolve... this is why I answer something with such a violence lol.

Im really chill about this  :s0826:

selig
RE Developer

06 Mar 2015

selig wrote:

Janvier wrote:
Actually, in a some way, you are telling me to shut up and go away. Its only that you do it in a gentle and diplomatic manner haha !! 

Yesterday, it was fullmoon and I was a werewolve... this is why I answer something with such a violence lol.

Im really chill about this  :s0826:
Actually, as a moderator I'm reminding you to follow the rules or be banned. Your choice.

Selig Audio, LLC

Ecopro

06 Mar 2015

Ecopro wrote:You guys need to chill, really. Tools can only be as good as the tool bearer. 
CharlyCharlzz wrote:

or the tool maker ....

I don't know...there's always been something special with Reason. I've tried others DAWs, and have other tools at my disposal, but I keep coming back to Reason. ;)

I feel the tool maker has done enough for us to get our asses out-the-box to make some great music with it. So we have to put a little more effort!...to get a fat sound going! ... that's actually how we learn more about synthesis, about the tools, and how to get that sound we're ultimately after. I feel that a lot of Reason users are actually more hands-on, more technical if you will.  Reason can be as deep and complex as you want it to be, thanks to CV and the infinite combinations of routing cables. It can also be as simple as laying down ideas, a simple melody maker machine. 

Use your tools to your advantage! - Live and prosper. \m/
Guts Electronic Mayhem

chimp_spanner

06 Mar 2015

Dumbest features/mistakes for me:

• No numerical entry. Everything has to be done with knobs. PITA when you're trying to land on an exact value
• Having to open a separate tool box for things like note length, legato, etc. What about a "MIDI" menu at the top?
• Notes recorded at a higher quantize value don't snap properly to lower resolutions (more of a bug than a design flaw but whatever).
• No GUI zoom or scale; seriously, for a program so completely dependent on graphics, it's actually kinda hard to see/use sometimes.
• No half rack Re's.

None of these really stop me from enjoying Reason. I mean I kinda naturally go through phases anyway but I always have fun when I dip back into it. Oddly enough writing on iOS has helped me appreciate Reason a lot more, in terms of working with fewer instruments for a cleaner rack, and exploring pattern sequencers and CV stuff rather than trying to force Reason 8 to act like Cubase 8. These days I'm looking at it more like a sonic playground (particularly some of the modular synth stuff; Ochen K's A-Series is my favourite) and as a source of content to be used in Cubase. Write a little phrase, export the stems, arrange and mangle in another DAW.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:

or the tool maker ....

Ecopro wrote:
I don't know...there's always been something special with Reason. I've tried others DAWs, and have other tools at my disposal, but I keep coming back to Reason. ;)

I feel the tool maker has done enough for us to get our asses out-the-box to make some great music with it. So
Ecopro wrote:we have to put a little more effort!...
Ecopro wrote:to get a fat sound going! ... that's actually how we learn more about synthesis, about the tools, and how to get that sound we're ultimately after. I feel that a lot of Reason users are actually more hands-on, more technical if you will.  Reason can be as deep and complex as you want it to be, thanks to CV and the infinite combinations of routing cables. It can also be as simple as laying down ideas, a simple melody maker machine. 

Use your tools to your advantage! - Live and prosper. \m/
yes I totaly agree , I get troubles mixing in Reason but only because I add more and more to get the sound and then got to deal with all the freqs and volumes .
I dont work the same way with Reason , I go deeper with it then with other daws but with other daws I got to buy expensive vst's to get the right sound etc..

with patience you can do a lot with Reason (if not all) .

some peoples like chiken , some eggs , some both and some are vegans :D
you can read this like that : some like hardwares , some like softwares and some like acoustic Jamming :)

@ chimp spanner , yhea would be cool to have digits and midi Tools !

muffins4all

08 Mar 2015

the "drag and drop/import a MIDI file, and it creates an ID8 and puts it on that track" thing

trimph1

08 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:

or the tool maker ....

Or....how about both?

I need to learn how to use this better as well...and PH needs to improve a few things....as well. :? :comp:
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

Theo.M

08 Mar 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Also, they are indeed responsible for the prices. Maybe I'm ignorant on how taxes work in Sweden but charging developers 30% of earnings is insane and causes the prices to be so high.
selig wrote:
Two things:
The Propellerheads have no control over the prices developers set, and that 30% you mention is not taxes. What you CAN say is that the associated development costs contribute to the cost of the final product. In this case those costs are taken out of your income stream. In other cases you pay for these things up front. I've done the math and I'm extremely happy with the 30% deduction and feel it's well worth the price IMO!

What costs?
Add up the costs for building and maintaining an online store with a very high visibility factor (lots of traffic because there are lots of products, something difficult for an indy developer to pull off). Also add the developer costs for un-cracked copy protection like iLok (you'd likely be surprised about this one cost alone!). Don't forget to add the cost of all the developer tools etc. Throw in the cost for marketing. Don't forget tech support (for both developers and end users) - that's not free! And finally, factor in the developer's cost of identifying, researching, and maintaining all of these systems factoring in the extra pain in the ass when something's not going right (like it is right now for some users - I'd hate to be responsible for MY system giving folks this kinds of problems). 

And not forgetting that many if not most of these expenses must come out of pocket BEFORE there is an income stream at all, and you begin to understand why a developer such as myself would be more than happy to give 30% to the Props! I can't provide any numbers, but it's likely this cost is allowing LOWER prices since (among other things) it's a fixed cost that's more easy to account for. 

That's my take, anyway.
I also think the 30% is fair for what is on offer. My only issue with RE development is there's no real sustainable "main income" in it as the relative user base is too small. This is AFAIK of course, but even your recent sale after never doing one till now and actually sort of being against the idea, tells me that even your superb RE's are not selling in the numbers you would hope. I am not prying there nor expect an answer btw, just a gut feeling of my own. I hope i am way wrong. Cheers

Pepin

08 Mar 2015

chimp_spanner wrote: • No numerical entry. Everything has to be done with knobs. PITA when you're trying to land on an exact value
In case you don't already know, you can type in values for any automatable parameters. If you create an automation lane, you can double click the default value slider and enter a value (you can then delete the automation lane).

Attachments
type.png
type.png (39.56 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

CharlyCharlzz

08 Mar 2015

chimp_spanner wrote: • No numerical entry. Everything has to be done with knobs. PITA when you're trying to land on an exact value
Pepin wrote:
In case you don't already know, you can type in values for any automatable parameters. If you create an automation lane, you can double click the default value slider and enter a value (you can then delete the automation lane).
Pepin wrote: 
this is why I love threads like this , most new cool features (that been requested over and over) are there but nobody knows it .
glad I readed your post ;)
so for the internet : yes you can enter (type) in the values of the wished digits into Reason Propellerhead Now :)

Iapetus 9

08 Mar 2015

I am usually there to defend Reason from the Preset Generation and to expound on how well it delivers a competent tool set. A DAW should deliver an easy painless way to record your musical muse and Reason does that in spades. To pick it apart with personal feature wishes and self grandiose entitlement is futile- kinda like having 2 HD's full of sample packs and loop libraries and wondering why you can't make any music. You have the tools, and yet you crave more. Ridiculous.

That said, the very fact that we can't sample or import samples into RE's is a glaring oversight. I personally can name more than twenty RE's I'd buy tonight if the feature was implemented. So I vote with my wallet. I won't buy any more RE's until the feature set is competent. Until then, I'm more than happy with using Reason as is because I have no problem going outside the box and using other tools.

They're just tools, and your music doesn't give a shit how you feel about the DAW. Cheers!
38L > 51D every time.

stratatonic

08 Mar 2015

muffins4all wrote:the "drag and drop/import a MIDI file, and it creates an ID8 and puts it on that track" thing
Yes, very annoying...still, after 5 1/2 years... :frown:
Last edited by stratatonic on 25 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

MirEko

09 Mar 2015

Only things I'm missing.. Live performance features.
Some of the RE try to tackle this but not very well unfortunately.

Just give us some sort of clip launch or scene mode please..

I love reason but it is so hard to jam with and I just want to use it in a live way but I don't want to use ableton :)

And no thanks to rewire..
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

The Intrancer

09 Mar 2015

Reason's GUI is like working with a supernova at night in a darker environment, having seen and worked with other modern Daws which accommodate for this, (and among Propellerheads other half assed implementations and lacking omissions in R7 & R8 in particular) they made R8 even brighter than R7.    

It's one of the biggest turn off's in using Reason for me now, having moved to Studio One 2 where the main sequencer is on a much darker blue / gray scheme.

Here's a picture to illustrate the supanova effectImage

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Vesterager

09 Mar 2015

muffins4all wrote:the "drag and drop/import a MIDI file, and it creates an ID8 and puts it on that track" thing
stratatonic wrote: Yes, very annoying...still, after 5 1/2 years... :frown:
and changes the tempo of the song!

stfual

04 May 2015

There are features that sit well in Re's (effects and sound generation) but I do feel development on the Base platform has lost the plot a bit. I don't want or need cloud integration and in fact find it a bit creepy and intrusive. I'd like to see recording and play back and visualisation of CV in the Base product and some big enhancements to the automation drawing and manipulation tools. I can spend days trying to tweak compression by tired ear or just record the CV and then tweak the curves visually which is surely the point of visual tools. How hard can it be to invert or reverse an automation clip programmatically whereas drawing the inverted clip is painful. Is LFO CV doing a full pan or half pan or did I mess up the CV chain again. Visually give me the option to see the control turning maybe? And even with a big screen it's killing my eyes to edit in Reason.
Nowhere near as bad as protools though where it's seems that after over a years wait release 12 delivers no new features at all just cloud integration.

Raveshaper

05 May 2015

When I push myself to really focus in on what doesn't sit well with me in Reason, it comes down to one underlying thing.

Everything is deliberate.

Anything I want to do requires a lot of work involving steps that often feel like the program is second guessing me or discouraging me from accomplishing my goal; as if my ambitions fall under the "what the hell are you trying to do?" or "are you *really* sure you wanna do that?" category. Count how many steps it takes you to do even basic things and take notice of how far apart certain text boxes or related GUI elements are from each other. It creeps in after a while.

Computer programs require the user to participate and I get that. But they don't have to transform the user into a linearly programmed micro controller lurching through sequential commands to get things done.
Most of the "work" in Reason really comes down to how non-intuitive the program is, and that's a shame considering the state of the art.

If I could change anything, it would be to leave the past where it belongs and modernize the platform to emulate the future instead of the bygone days. But that's not a specific feature so much as a total overhaul of the philosophy.

For now, I'm going to try and create solutions for some features that Reason lacks and then teach people how to set them up and use them.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information