I Think I Made A Huge Mistake

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ckingram2006

03 Mar 2015

I will never make the accusation that Reason sound is not good. It is actually quite good if you know how to use the tools that are available. I was simply blown away by how easily I was able to get things to come to life using other tools that I thought I left behind (VST's).  I am going to post a couple of songs later today one song mixed entirely in Reason and the other using another DAW and the Slate VMR/VCC and a couple additional vst's for depth (Verbs,Delays,etc). 

Grinder One

03 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote:I gave up Reason at version 4 because whenever I exported, it lacked high end, anything over 13k was missing,

Mart.
Ostermilk wrote:
What?

I can show you a swept sine wave going all the way from 20Hz to 22 Khz, I could provide you with the original generated one, one dropped from R5 (I don't have R4 around), one from R8 and one from Reaper and I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit you'd not know which one was which.

Why do people feel a need to persist with this kind of blither, anything over 13k was
Ostermilk wrote:missing
Ostermilk wrote:? lol.

Edit:

Here ya go 4 of em' the original wav, one dropped from S1 v2, one from R5, one from R8.  All 4 dropped into R8.1 and then using Drop to Props posted here for your deliberation.  So which ones have anything over 13k missing and which one is which.  Answers please on a postcard to yourself.
http://phead.mu/s/IoIDjPVP
Don't be so pissing defensive mate, I didn't even read this thread as negative, I was actually replying to post number 2 more than anything and what my main point was/is, I went to explore others but am still back here and loving it.
I have no reason to lie, at the time my Reason was exporting at mp3 quality now, it could well have been my setup at the time or a number of other things...it was around 8 bloody years ago but back then, there was no monitoring in Reason, nevermind RE's/plugins so I used to have to rewire it to be able to use better EQ's than the Mclass, better compression than the Mclass etc etc.
Reason these days is so much better and I'm glad to be here and just thought I'd join in with my 2 pennies worth, that's all.

Thanks...
Mart.

djfm1983

03 Mar 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:I have been a die hard Reason user as a mixing engineer since R6 and the transition from years of Protools was pretty simple. Recently I decided to catch a sale the Slate Digital was having on the VMR and VCC just to see what the fuss was about. After purchasing these plugs I decided to do a mix on a Pop ballad that I had just received in Protools and not Reason. I was completely blown away!!!!!! I have trialed several Rack Extensions but admittedly only purchased a couple because I have not seen much out there that I have not been able to achieve with the stock units and I have a major problem with the inability to sell RE that I have either outgrown or have no use for. I am now convinced that there is nothing comparable in the RE market that can come close to what can be achieved with Slate's plugs. Now I see Reason's Role being downgraded to primarily tracking and a rewire client as opposed to being my all-in solution. 
I had the same thing happen to me. I've been a registered Reason user since v2 but recently upgraded to live 9 (I won live 1.0 in a Properllerheads Christmas beat contest years ago) and decided to buy slate RC VCC (it was on sale for $29 with a free ilok). I'm so glad I did!!!! Soon afterwords I upgraded to full VCC (which was recently updated to 2.0), bought VBC, VMR and FG-X mastering plugin. I have never heard any REs sound anything nearly as good as those plugins and anyone who tries to argue on here about it have obviously never tried them out for themselves. Mixing with the VCC is amazing, adds warmth to sounds like I never knew possible.
I'm not saying Reason sucks or even say like others do (The "Reason sound" some people say it has) but the way these plugins sound are amazing. I own the softube FET Comp RE but the FET Comp in the VMR sounds way better (IMO). I still use Reason for synth sounds, ect... But no longer mix within Reason I rewire or bounce stems and mix in Live 9. People can say whatever they want but you and I know what's up!!!! I actually want to start bouncing stems from old reason songs and mix them in live now. There's absolutely nothing in reason that sounds anything like slate VCC. Sure the SSL board is okay but you can't drive the inputs to get any saturation that you would get on a real SSL board, but you sure can with slate VCC (not to mention that there are two SSL models to choose from and they both sound different when the inputs are driven into saturation). I'm actually thinking about posting A/B difference in using a plug-in and reason compared to live when everything peak matched.
I love reason, it's workflow, it's synths, RE groove, ect but I too am done mixing in Reason.
If you guys want to hear the latest track today did using slate plug-ins and some reason sounds (not all of the sounds come from reason) check this track out...

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportuniti ... 000b35879f
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

submonsterz

03 Mar 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:I have been a die hard Reason user as a mixing engineer since R6 and the transition from years of Protools was pretty simple. Recently I decided to catch a sale the Slate Digital was having on the VMR and VCC just to see what the fuss was about. After purchasing these plugs I decided to do a mix on a Pop ballad that I had just received in Protools and not Reason. I was completely blown away!!!!!! I have trialed several Rack Extensions but admittedly only purchased a couple because I have not seen much out there that I have not been able to achieve with the stock units and I have a major problem with the inability to sell RE that I have either outgrown or have no use for. I am now convinced that there is nothing comparable in the RE market that can come close to what can be achieved with Slate's plugs. Now I see Reason's Role being downgraded to primarily tracking and a rewire client as opposed to being my all-in solution. 
djfm1983 wrote: I had the same thing happen to me. I've been a registered Reason user since v2 but recently upgraded to live 9 (I won live 1.0 in a Properllerheads Christmas beat contest years ago) and decided to buy slate RC VCC (it was on sale for $29 with a free ilok). I'm so glad I did!!!! Soon afterwords I upgraded to full VCC (which was recently updated to 2.0), bought VBC, VMR and FG-X mastering plugin. I have never heard any REs sound anything nearly as good as those plugins and anyone who tries to argue on here about it have obviously never tried them out for themselves. Mixing with the VCC is amazing, adds warmth to sounds like I never knew possible. I'm not saying Reason sucks or even say like others do (The "Reason sound" some people say it has) but the way these plugins sound are amazing. I own the softube FET Comp RE but the FET Comp in the VMR sounds way better (IMO). I still use Reason for synth sounds, ect... But no longer mix within Reason I rewire or bounce stems and mix in Live 9. People can say whatever they want but you and I know what's up!!!! I actually want to start bouncing stems from old reason songs and mix them in live now. There's absolutely nothing in reason that sounds anything like slate VCC. Sure the SSL board is okay but you can't drive the inputs to get any saturation that you would get on a real SSL board, but you sure can with slate VCC (not to mention that there are two SSL models to choose from and they both sound different when the inputs are driven into saturation). I'm actually thinking about posting A/B difference in using a plug-in and reason compared to live when everything peak matched. I love reason, it's workflow, it's synths, RE groove, ect but I too am done mixing in Reason. If you guys want to hear the latest track today did using slate plug-ins and some reason sounds (not all of the sounds come from reason) check this track out...
I don't hear much difference in this track to the tracks you posted before from reason to be honest :frown: .
sound the same sort of sound you have there to what you had before ....

Ostermilk

03 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote: Don't be so pissing defensive mate....

Thanks...
Mart.
Sorry, what was I defending?

I suggest you read your last post again if you want the reall definition of defensive.

Mate... ;)

Last Alternative

03 Mar 2015

Man you people are funny.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Grinder One

03 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote: Don't be so pissing defensive mate....

Thanks...
Mart.
Ostermilk wrote:
Sorry, what was I defending?

I suggest you read your last post again if you want the reall definition of defensive.

Mate... ;)
I suggest you do one then err mate and allow people the freedom to opine.
You're obviously out for trouble

zakalwe

03 Mar 2015

sadly i have sunk quite a bit in reason myself and now i'm using reaper, the $60 DAW, and cursing myself for not buying komplete instead.

oh well.

don't think in the VST world companies won't disappoint you though.  that said, i just found the installer for camel crusher on my PC today.  :)

kitekrazy

03 Mar 2015

zakalwe wrote:sadly i have sunk quite a bit in reason myself and now i'm using reaper, the $60 DAW, and cursing myself for not buying komplete instead.

oh well.

don't think in the VST world companies won't disappoint you though.  that said, i just found the installer for camel crusher on my PC today.  :)
 You are not alone. People have dumped other DAWs for Reaper.  I still don't like the midi side of Reaper.
What I would like to see in Reason is changing instruments in tracks.  Midi import is very unique in Reason, no other DAW behaves like that and it's not good behavior.

djfm1983

03 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote: I had the same thing happen to me. I've been a registered Reason user since v2 but recently upgraded to live 9 (I won live 1.0 in a Properllerheads Christmas beat contest years ago) and decided to buy slate RC VCC (it was on sale for $29 with a free ilok). I'm so glad I did!!!! Soon afterwords I upgraded to full VCC (which was recently updated to 2.0), bought VBC, VMR and FG-X mastering plugin. I have never heard any REs sound anything nearly as good as those plugins and anyone who tries to argue on here about it have obviously never tried them out for themselves. Mixing with the VCC is amazing, adds warmth to sounds like I never knew possible. I'm not saying Reason sucks or even say like others do (The "Reason sound" some people say it has) but the way these plugins sound are amazing. I own the softube FET Comp RE but the FET Comp in the VMR sounds way better (IMO). I still use Reason for synth sounds, ect... But no longer mix within Reason I rewire or bounce stems and mix in Live 9. People can say whatever they want but you and I know what's up!!!! I actually want to start bouncing stems from old reason songs and mix them in live now. There's absolutely nothing in reason that sounds anything like slate VCC. Sure the SSL board is okay but you can't drive the inputs to get any saturation that you would get on a real SSL board, but you sure can with slate VCC (not to mention that there are two SSL models to choose from and they both sound different when the inputs are driven into saturation). I'm actually thinking about posting A/B difference in using a plug-in and reason compared to live when everything peak matched. I love reason, it's workflow, it's synths, RE groove, ect but I too am done mixing in Reason. If you guys want to hear the latest track today did using slate plug-ins and some reason sounds (not all of the sounds come from reason) check this track out...
submonsterz wrote: I don't hear much difference in this track to the tracks you posted before from reason to be honest :frown: .
sound the same sort of sound you have there to what you had before ....
If I were to turn the VCC off and take the VBC off you would hear the difference. I don't know how you say it sounds the same as my other tracks, I don't actually ever make drum and bass music. You must have an excellent memory too... I haven't posted music since the old forum was up (might possibly been over 7 months since I've posted music on that forum). It's amazing to think you can remember how my other tracks sounded compaired to this track.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

zakalwe

03 Mar 2015

kitekrazy wrote: You are not alone. People have dumped other DAWs for Reaper.  I still don't like the midi side of Reaper.
What I would like to see in Reason is changing instruments in tracks.  Midi import is very unique in Reason, no other DAW behaves like that and it's not good behavior.
i prefer reaper's MIDI editor.  mainly because i don't have to hit an F key to get to it but also because you can set it up to see all MIDI tracks greyed out in the background.  that's awesome.

also click to enter/delete note and resize from both ends for my previous expenditure lol.

CharlyCharlzz

04 Mar 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: no , it is just that I never had that crap sound with cubase
And I've never had that crap sound with Reason! I'd have given up on Reason a LONG time ago if I experienced that things you describe!

I also spend a great deal of time working with Pro Tools, and in the past year or so have gotten into logic as well. I've not noticed a single difference with how any of those apps treat audio.

Now if you want to start talking plugins, that's definitely a different story. But the basic audio functions of Reason are identical to the same functions in Pro Tools and Logic. Maybe Cubase is doing something none of these other three are doing?
:) [/QUOTE

cubase is not magic unfortunatly , in cubase I almost dont use fx apart from the basics so most sounds are pure from the vst , in Reason I use a lot of fx to try to get the sounds better and maybe it get impossoble to mix after that but one thing is for shure ; I dont work the same way in one or the other (so could be a my end thingy)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

normen

05 Mar 2015

djfm1983

05 Mar 2015

How many people here have actually tried using Slate Digital's VCC,VBC,VMR and FG-X? Just wondering how many people are making statements without even trying the plugins for themselves....
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

normen

05 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:How many people here have actually tried using Slate Digital's VCC,VBC,VMR and FG-X? Just wondering how many people are making statements without even trying the plugins for themselves....
*raises hand* And I was not too impressed, as I wasn't with most of Slates offerings. Their tape emulation is *miles* away from Uaudios for example. The "classic" channel strips as well. And generally its just EQs, dynamics and distortion, no magic there.

Heater

05 Mar 2015

Although I've decided not to invest any more money into Reason so I'll be stuck on 7 for a while.  I think Reason sounds really great.  It continues to impress me.

C//AZM

05 Mar 2015

I like Reason. I use it everyday for composing...err "Beat Making". Reason kicks ass in production and those who say reason's sounds suck need to really learn how to unsuck the sound! with all the devices at our disposal, saying the sound sucks says more about you than anything the DAW does. Ok sure they could spend a bit of money on better presets from different people but really, it's easy to roll your own.
 In ProTools, I have UAD, Slate, Mdsp, and Waves plugins and I Love the sound of each. For my taste, and with a few exceptions, I can't get the same quality from an RE that I can get with most of my plugins. Even in the EQs where most eqs are extremely similar and will null each other, with McDSP Filterbank EQs, The shelf sections on the E6 can be made to do anything between a resonant, Gerzon style response curve to a more standard shelf and the Waves q can make a very thin notch for repairs and such. Other than that i boils down to just stuff i'm used to and I'm used to Pro tools althugh it sucks for midi production.
 Almost useless.
I think of Reason as my sequencer and PT as my tape machine.
I usually do all of my tracking with Reason, then export to PT. I mix in PT for various reasons, the main reason being the plugins. Most of my REs are instruments or "creative" REs while I have never bought a PT VI. 
No properly working DAW should sound any better or worse than another unless theres some other variable like converter or some odd setting. But all else being equal, no DAW has a "sound". Back when PT was proprietary with their own convertors you could perhaps say that PT with an 888 had a different sound than Digital Performer or something but that's converter based.  

Miles Static

09 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:How many people here have actually tried using Slate Digital's VCC,VBC,VMR and FG-X? Just wondering how many people are making statements without even trying the plugins for themselves....
I have. Extensively. After trying a friends UAD box, I opted for that instead. Personally I think the VCC is hype and with all of the marketing they throw at you, one honestly starts to think that the VCC is some magical plugin. It's not. None of them are. 

If that mix can out brilliant. Its because YOU did a great job; not some tawdry plugin claiming to reproduce the sounds of $500k consoles. 

Just me 2 cents ;)

Miles Static

09 Mar 2015

ckingram2006 wrote:I have been a die hard Reason user as a mixing engineer since R6 and the transition from years of Protools was pretty simple. Recently...
yea mate... I would agree. However your mistake isn't in choosing Reason for all these years. Your mistake is in believing in the magical DAW that will serve all of your creative needs. Nope! Doesn't exist. No such thing and they will probably never be. 

Most of the artist that I have known; use at least 2 different types of music software if not more. 

But hey, some people are completely convinced that it is their software doing the magic in creating content and not them (go figure!)

djfm1983

09 Mar 2015

Miles Static wrote:
I have. Extensively. After trying a friends UAD box, I opted for that instead. Personally I think the VCC is hype and with all of the marketing they throw at you, one honestly starts to think that the VCC is some magical plugin. It's not. None of them are. 

If that mix can out brilliant. Its because YOU did a great job; not some tawdry plugin claiming to reproduce the sounds of $500k consoles. 

Just me 2 cents ;)
Well all I know is I find it easier to get my mixes to come together with VCC then without it. You can hear a big difference in the low end once you start changing the different consoles selections. It works for me and that's all that matters to me. Some plugins work for some and some for others. There's plenty of pro mixing engineers that say the VCC works for them too. Different strokes for different folks. I agree that people are not going to get a 100% exact emulation of those consoles but for me having a VCC SSL emulation sounds better than Reason's SSL with no real SSL emulation. There's no way to drive Reason's SSL mixer to achieve any saturation. I like softube's saturator but there's only two choices in saturation options and the VCC gives me more options in saturation. I want to try UAD plugins one day. I don't have the funds to anytime soon.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

Flandersh

10 Mar 2015

I have tried and own VCC, VBC and FG-X, and I find them great for right type of music (Good for rock, pop and so, but not so good for classical, choral and so in example).

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

Miles Static wrote:

Just me 2 cents ;)
djfm1983 wrote: Well all I know is I find it easier to get my mixes to come together with VCC then without it. You can hear a big difference in the low end once you start changing the different consoles selections. It works for me and that's all that matters to me. Some plugins work for some and some for others. There's plenty of pro mixing engineers that say the VCC works for them too. Different strokes for different folks. I agree that people are not going to get a 100% exact emulation of those consoles but for me having a VCC SSL emulation sounds better than Reason's SSL with no real SSL emulation. There's no way to drive Reason's SSL mixer to achieve any saturation. I like softube's saturator but there's only two choices in saturation options and the VCC gives me more options in saturation. I want to try UAD plugins one day. I don't have the funds to anytime soon.
Can I just say that overdriving a real SSL has always sounded horrible to me - I'm thankful that Reason didn't emulate this feature!!!

That being said, I really love using HEAT on many (but not all) Pro Tools mixes, and I'm guessing it's similar to VCC (but likely more efficient since it's built into the software), so I do understand the attraction to these sorts of effects. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

djfm1983

10 Mar 2015

I really only like saturation on bass lines, drums and sometimes on vocals. I'd love to hear what heat sounds like, I haven't used PT since version 6 and I'm not sure whenever I will use it again. They would not let me upgrade from PT6 to the current version at a discounted price because I didn't keep upgrading everytime a new version came out. I'm not going to pay full price for PT, they must be crazy. I do wish I Reason or live had some sort of Strip silence.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

selig
RE Developer

10 Mar 2015

djfm1983 wrote:I really only like saturation on bass lines, drums and sometimes on vocals. I'd love to hear what heat sounds like, I haven't used PT since version and I'm not sure whenever I will use it again. They would let me upgrade from PT6 to the current version at a discounted price because I didn't keep upgrading everytime a new version came out. I'm not going to pay full price for PT, they must be crazy. I do wish I Reason or live had some sort of Strip silence.
I don't really like it on vocals for anything but the rawest of industrial genres - always sounds like "distortion" to my ears. I typically disable HEAT on vocals but find it awesome on everything else! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information