Reason upgrade dealbreaker

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nymphomation

02 Mar 2015

I'm still on Reason 7.5, didn't upgrade to 8, and will most likely hold out till the next update... depending on what they do with it!

I've been with Reason since 2.5, and I remember getting really excited by new instruments. When Thor came out it blew my mind. With the advent of RE's, that feature of upgrades seems less of a focus. Sure, I got Synchrous with 7, and there are the new Amps with 8 (well, replacements.)

I was really hoping for video support, & more in depth midi editing features. But I realise video support probably won't happen, as it's a fairly niche need. The new functionality and workflow improvements look great, but it wasn't enough to convince me to upgrade. For me if PH had bundled a load of RE's - like they did for new buyers (I think it was their Radical + Korg stuff?) - I probably would have bought in. It would have sweetened the deal for me - and that just shows what I personally value at this point in time.

So, my question is, for those like me who haven't upgraded to 8 - what would have made you upgrade? What were you hoping for? What would have been a deal breaker?

Theo.M

02 Mar 2015

best idea is to sell R7.5 for $100 i reckon and rebuy 8 from a reseller for 299 if you don't have any of the RE's they are offering. So you pay $80 extra than upgrading but get alot more value in RE's.

I did notice some people selling v 7 for almost 200 LOL, no one would buy that to pay 329 to get into R8 without any of the benefits.

Yes propellerhead have absolutely punished the upgraders and loyal customers this time. Everything has been geared towards new customers, and even though props claim R8 has the best sales record of all R versions, what do you expect when they are doing the deals they are doing?

Personally i won't be upgrading ever again, but if they started offering those deals to upgrades as well i would have been pretty annoyed that i supported them by upgrading immediately (2nd day of release), so i guess it's situations like that where they don't want to screw over the early adopters even more than they are already doing.

I am not happy with their business practices and "punishment" of certain groups, then again, they needed to do something cause R8 as a package on it's own for 400 bucks is to put it mildly, well underspecced compared to logic for 199 for example. They needed to sweeten the pot to make it competitive.

eusti

02 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote: Personally i won't be upgrading ever again...
I bet there are going to be circumstances that might make that decision harder to stand by...
With Apple now upgrading their OS this often it might be tough to keep this setup functional if you end up upgrading your Mac at some point in the future...
As well possible SDK upgrades might entice you to upgrade Reason if you want the latest RE goodies...

D.

Gaja

02 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote:best idea is to sell R7.5 for $100 i reckon and rebuy 8 from a reseller for 299 if you don't have any of the RE's they are offering. So you pay $80 extra than upgrading but get alot more value in RE's.

I did notice some people selling v 7 for almost 200 LOL, no one would buy that to pay 329 to get into R8 without any of the benefits.

Yes propellerhead have absolutely punished the upgraders and loyal customers this time. Everything has been geared towards new customers, and even though props claim R8 has the best sales record of all R versions, what do you expect when they are doing the deals they are doing?

Personally i won't be upgrading ever again, but if they started offering those deals to upgrades as well i would have been pretty annoyed that i supported them by upgrading immediately (2nd day of release), so i guess it's situations like that where they don't want to screw over the early adopters even more than they are already doing.

I am not happy with their business practices and "punishment" of certain groups, then again, they needed to do something cause R8 as a package on it's own for 400 bucks is to put it mildly, well underspecced compared to logic for 199 for example. They needed to sweeten the pot to make it competitive.
I don't think they're punishing us.
Many people feel that way, but I still don't think it's right.
Any buy R8 get 5000 REs along with it, could be used by any of us. The last major deal (last year i think) they had would not only have saved you money (as upgrader) but made you some.
If they punish anything then it is not utilizing glaringly obvious loopholes.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ecopro

02 Mar 2015

Nymphomation wrote:I'm still on Reason 7.5, didn't upgrade to 8, and will most likely hold out till the next update... depending on what they do with it!
Theo.M wrote:best idea is to sell R7.5 for $100 

What are you guys talkin' bout? There's no Reason V 7.5 - Latest version before 8 was Reason 7.1.1. :)
Guts Electronic Mayhem

djfm1983

02 Mar 2015

Had they incorporated some type of RE latency compensation they I would've upgraded. I run into too many issues when using multiple REs on drums and it throws my beats off sync. The lack of quality in REs has caused me to switch my production to live 9. I have purchased almost all of slate digital plugins and I've never heard anything nearly as good in Reason, no REs have yet to compare. I still use Reason via Rewire but my days of only using Reason are done.
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

GRIFTY

02 Mar 2015

As a 7.1 user with about 800$ invested in rack extensions, I feel abandoned, unsupported, and left behind.

But who cares honestly! It's just a software. I'm waiting till 9 blows me away to upgrade, those bastards!

Jagwah

02 Mar 2015

Reason 8 was the worst.... an embarrassment. Closing the forum was just more of those bad things.  

It's quite possible Propellerheads inadvertently committed suicide, and it just hasn't come full circle yet.

I certainly hope not.

KEVMOVE02

02 Mar 2015

I remember being called to resolve a customer issue. I could tell that the customer had a full head of steam, so before hearing their complaint, I gave them a choice: be quiet and get a 20% discount, or have their say, but forfeit the discount. To my amazement, not only did the customer choose to have their say, but after they finished talking, they went right back to shopping. That's what these threads are all about: people who don't really care about the pricing, they just want to have their say. 

dvdrtldg

02 Mar 2015

I upgraded on impulse. I'd thought I wouldn't get 8 at all because of the patch-browsing issue (no Cancel function), but then I came across a cheap upgrade on eBay or Amazon, can't remember now, and thought it might be worth it just to have the Softube Amps.

So I upgraded, spent a couple of days playing around with 8, decided I liked 7 better and went back to it. Fortunately I really like the amps.

KEVMOVE02

02 Mar 2015

I just got my 8.0 Update from Amazon ($99). It's been awhile since I last purchased a boxed version of Reason (Reason 5/Record 1.5). Noticed the box lid design is angular. The disk sleeve has the license and registration number printed on a metallic sticker. Oh, I completely forgot about the stickers that come with the boxed versions:
  • This Container Feeds Me
  • This Thing Loves Music
  • This Buddy Transforms Thoughts
  • This Tool Builds Basslines
  • This Product Shapes Music
  • This Machine Loves Creativity
  • Everything your music needs today and tomorrow 

Nymphomation

02 Mar 2015

Nymphomation wrote:I'm still on Reason 7.5, didn't upgrade to 8, and will most likely hold out till the next update... depending on what they do with it!
Ecopro wrote:
Ecopro wrote:

Ecopro wrote:

Ecopro wrote:What are you guys talkin' bout? There's no Reason V 7.5 - Latest version before 8 was 
Ecopro wrote:Reason 7.1.1. :)

My bad... Think I was getting confused with Cubase 7.5, which I snapped up using an upgrade path..

MDTerps2015

02 Mar 2015

Theo i mentioned that same thing in a forum the other day about how im 8 years into reason and seems like all of the deals are geared towards new or hopefuls. I just got lambasted by one poster so i deleted the post. I still feel like you do because it seems like even when they do offer an upgrade with rack extensions i already have them or dont want those. How about letting us upgrade and pick a certain dollar amount of rack extensions. I know they always upgrade with their personal rack extensions but it would be a good deal if all rack extensions were included in that dollar amount. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Theo.M

03 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote: Personally i won't be upgrading ever again...
eusti wrote:
I bet there are going to be circumstances that might make that decision harder to stand by...
With Apple now upgrading their OS this often it might be tough to keep this setup functional if you end up upgrading your Mac at some point in the future...
As well possible SDK upgrades might entice you to upgrade Reason if you want the latest RE goodies...

D.
what i meant is i would be waiting for new purchase deals, i am selling when 9 comes out and they release a deal for 9 + bonus content. SO yes of course i will be "upgrading" but i won't be buying upgrades. As i know next time they will do 1000$ RE's plus Reason for $399 reseller $299 ;)

Theo.M

03 Mar 2015

Ecopro wrote:
Ecopro wrote:

Ecopro wrote:

Ecopro wrote:What are you guys talkin' bout? There's no Reason V 7.5 - Latest version before 8 was 
Ecopro wrote:Reason 7.1.1. :)

sorry about that just a typo and following the other post. My bad.

eusti

03 Mar 2015

Thanks for explaining, Theo!

D.

Raveshaper

03 Mar 2015

Jagwah wrote: It's quite possible Propellerheads inadvertently committed suicide, and it just hasn't come full circle yet.
Very possible, Jagwah. It's important to note that many people want to use Reason as a low budget recording studio for tracking demos. Using Reason in that context doesn't require a lot of research or in-depth discussion. That's why only a core group of users are active on forums like this compared to the total number of users. The core group (most of us here) represent the loyal customer base or repeated shoppers in the RE store. Since the topics of R8 disappointment and offense over the PUF closure still haven't gone away, I'd say the impact of those decisions has yet to be fully experienced. I can certainly say those events have been a turning point for me, which I am very thankful for. I might not have opened my eyes and taken an objective look without that.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Nymphomation

03 Mar 2015

Thanks for all your comments. I didn't mean this thread to become PH V.8 bashing, but freedom of speech and all..

What I was really trying to find out is - what do people expect from the next version, what would have been a dealbreaker?

It looks like so far we got:

A nice amount of bundled RE's
Delay compensation
More in-depth midi editing
VST wrapper (haha)

Djstarski

03 Mar 2015

just give me the upgrade minus the softube amps , i can always get them at another date if i need them . 

with the amps 129
without the amps 29 

just an idea .

what do you guys think ?

Yonatan

03 Mar 2015

Sounds fair to have that option. I am not desperately in need of those amps but might buy them in a good bundle or sale. Strange to be forced to pay for them to upgrade. As they aldready are sold in the ordinary shop. Who they expect will buy them? Some stay in R7 and buy them or some could only but the upgrade without them. No harm made. They need to get it right soon or RE market will dry out as few buy them if not using Reason as a standalone DAW.

Jagwah

03 Mar 2015

Djstarski wrote:just give me the upgrade minus the softube amps , i can always get them at another date if i need them . 

with the amps 129
without the amps 29 

just an idea .

what do you guys think ?
I would pounce on it. I never ever ever ever ever touch the Line 6 amps, same goes for some fancy Softube amps. No way in the world am I forking out 80% of my upgrade fee for something I will never use, not a chance.

It's just a shame that your idea simply can't and won't happen because they are stock Reason devices. I don't even like that if / when I finally do upgrade, I'm still paying for them. I hate those silly amps, all of them :)

GRIFTY

03 Mar 2015

just wait for nine everybody.  it should be out in less than six months looking at prop's upgrade history

GRIFTY

03 Mar 2015

i'll probably upgrade to nine no matter what, getting back to the OP....  but i would love some new creative devices added to the stock devices.  i would love full recycle integration.  i would love a "blocks launcher".  i would love a "mix deck" and DJ controller support (jog wheels).  i would love drag and drop integration (lol, wait.........).  aaand lets see i'd love to see vst support *ducks*
EDIT hey one more thing i'd love to see a bigger combinator with more controls!!!  or maybe even some kind of modular system that allows you to add or subtract as many controls as you need on the combis!  that'd be SWEET

KEVMOVE02

03 Mar 2015

No need to wait, because it is doubtful that the complainers will every be satisfied. There is a class of customer that think all products are crap, they expect to get everything free, and if they ever actually created a product and made it available for purchase, they would be offended if you asked for a one dollar discount. I can the retorts and rebuttals already, but I know the truth: its all just trash talk. Being critical of the work of others takes no skill of courage. Slamming companies like Propellerhead isn't clever at all, but it does confirm one thing, people don't talk about things they never heard of. So in spite or all the naysayers and doomsday prophets, Propellerhead and Reason 8 sure has generated a lot of conversation. Business must be really good. 

wellman

03 Mar 2015

After finding out that you can grab the upgrade in amazon for $99 This question came to my mind:

Will the Softube amps still be free with the upgrade to Reason 9?

Because if that's not the case, then doing the upgrade with amazon now it's the best idea, since each amp cost $69 at the RE shop.

But I think that since the Props are kicking out a couple of devices that they put in the rack, meaning that the user didn't have any choice about getting them or not,  the next upgrade should still contain the Softube amps.

• Information