I'm I going to lose line6 amps if I don't upgrade 7

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Gulale

22 Feb 2015

Most people don't like them but to me they are superior to softube amps. I don't like the workflow in general that I'm getting from reason 8. I have no plan to upgrade my reason 7 knowing that I won't see my line6 amps disappear in the year 2016. But now I might be wrong or not I don't know yet would love to confirm that. Do previous reason owners also lose line6 in the year 2016 or only upcoming releases?
Gulale aka Bereket

Arsenic

22 Feb 2015

It just means that future releases will not include the L6 amps. If you keep any previous version that has them, you will be able to use them.

Arsenic

22 Feb 2015

Just musing and probably not to be taken seriously - Could PH block fresh authorisation of older versions?

Most people would have their computer or an Ignition Key authorised, but as computers get rebuilt/replaced and IKs get broken, Balance gets replaced etc. the number of active older versions would eventually dwindle. To carry on using older versions,you would have to keep a spare (authorised) Ignition Key/Balance or never replace, upgrade or rebuild your computer.

This could be used to get people to upgrade to newer versions and would eventually stamp out the use of the L6 devices along with anything else that they decided that they did not want to support.

This wouldn't really harm the second hand market as they would still be eligible to upgrade to the latest version using an old license.

Anyway - Just thinking aloud.

Gaja

22 Feb 2015

I don't think so.
As long as you have a computer that runs a version of Reason, you'll be able to authorize your version. At some point of course you'll have to upgrade your computer, if that will be able to run your version is a different question.
But IMO should they disallow older Reaon versions to be authorized, that would be a proper reason for outrage.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

EnochLight

22 Feb 2015

They would never do that, nor would they have any reason to. 6.5 users are happily punching out beats at this very moment. Like, all 3 of them.   :t2018: :s0238:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Fretless Fingers

23 Feb 2015

Ryan Harlin commented some time ago squashing the thoughts that this was a licensing issue (with your current or past software, or with there relationship with line 6)

As he explained it, this is a technical problem as the L6 Amps were designed by both Propellerhead and Line 6 together with large portions done on the line 6 side. Due to this they cannot guarantee that (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) future updates to the software will support what they will be updating since there missing such large pieces of coding, so the devices will be removed.

What I take from this is whatever's planned by this time will change the way all Reason devices can interact and L6 will be impossible to update without the company's help so rather than Waiting for them it would be easier to just remove the devices
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

KEVMOVE02

23 Feb 2015

Am I the only one who keeps multiple versions of software installed or use older versions on older computers? 

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Feb 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:Am I the only one who keeps multiple versions of software installed or use older versions on older computers? 
It would seem unlikely you've done that with Reason then, as all versions share the same preferences file. Every time you open the other version you're back into setup; either you go through the entire setup regime every time, or you exit, paste in a backup of prefs and re-open.

Yes, it's doable, but it's not something I'd be smug about suggesting.

pushedbutton

23 Feb 2015

I should imagine the option was discussed during the 'Why don't Reason Users like Line 6 products?' meeting.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Feb 2015

pushedbutton wrote:I should imagine the option was discussed during the 'Why don't Reason Users like Line 6 products?' meeting.
The implication there is about as true as saying all Reason users dislike R8 and that's why the forum was shut. Actually, what evidence we have in both cases based on forum warriors like us is that at worst it was a fairly even split. (I'm pro PodFarm, as you know).

Besides, anyone who's ever compared this stuff knows that it's Guitar Rig that is massively inferior to the other big names in a side-by-side test of comparable amps, and PodFarm is pretty good. I don't think anyone feels it's the best, but it's far from bad, and for Reason it's a massive mistake to remove it, as PodFarm (and I mean PodFarm Platinum, not the five middle-of-the-road default amps that shipped with Record/Reason) is still the best third-party option for Reason by such as long way it's embarrassing and infuriating to see it being axed.

PodFarm does tends to be a tad bright, but it's easier to cut than boost, as most guitars will be cut during EQing anyway. (GR sounds like playing a guitar in a tar-pit it's so lifeless and dull.)

In terms of what's currently available in R7/R8, I still rate PodFarm Plat above the Softube and Kuassa amps overall, simply because of the ease-of-use (drive knob and wah-wah FTW) and massive choice of tones (100+ amps and Cabs compared to about 10 for the three REs). Of the current RE's alone, Kuassa amps I feel are far superior better than the curious tonally qualities of most of Softube tones. In comparable tones, I'd probably agree Kuassa probably has the edge on the default Line6 Amp device offerings, but again, add PodFarm Plat and you've got the versatility and range the current REs simply can't hold a capo to.

Cerberus Bass Amp I am starting to love, though, even with the limited amp/cab choice. The tones that it has are quite wonderful. It's growing on me a lot. Softube Bass I'm finding deeply unpleasant.

joeyluck

23 Feb 2015

I just feel like if there's a demand for the Line 6 amps and PodFarm in Reason, Line 6 should deliver REs.

Maybe Reason is heading in the direction of porting all native devices to REs, and it is Line 6's failure to cooperate that is the reason why Propellerhead can't support the Line 6 devices in future versions?

Anyways, if Line 6 doesn't plan to develop REs, it sure opens up a door for other developers if the demand is in fact there ;)

I think someone could make something just as versatile, while all running in the rack, and have it sound better as well.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:I just feel like if there's a demand for the Line 6 amps and PodFarm in Reason, Line 6 should deliver REs.

Maybe Reason is heading in the direction of porting all native devices to REs, and it is Line 6's failure to cooperate that is the reason why Propellerhead can't support the Line 6 devices in future versions?

Anyways, if Line 6 doesn't plan to develop REs, it sure opens up a door for other developers if the demand is in fact there ;)

I think someone could make something just as versatile, while all running in the rack, and have it sound better as well.
If L6 did do RE's then it would be largely funded by a few hardcore PF users like me repurchasing it, as we wouldn't get discounts or license transfers.

And like ReTron, you can probably guarantee it would be hobbled with a limited selection.

I get that there might be GUI issues with persisting with L6, if all other devices get a hi-res makeover. But then, it would be no different to every Combinator skin made in the last 10 years that will look rather terrible in the new HD world. So I don't buy that as a reason to axe them.

Underlying technical reasons why L6 couldn't stay? Hmmm. Not sure I buy that either. I did buy PodFarm, though. Cos we were encouraged too, and Reason was sold to us on its forward compatibility! ;)

joeyluck

23 Feb 2015

Yeah, it's all speculation.  Just trying to offer some suggestions knowing what we know.

The thing is... many people are upset with Propellerhead over this and the responses they have given. Yet, I have not heard a single peep from Line 6. Nor have I heard of anybody attempting to contact Line 6. And come to think of it, I had never seen Line 6 interact with the community (in the forum) even when they were a distributor.

Rack Extensions is the perfect answer to future compatibility with third party plugins. Hopefully the format will continue to grow. Not sure how PodFarm inside Reason wouldn't be possible...? How does it compare to a sample-based RE?

joeyluck

23 Feb 2015

Let's just think of all the times other developers have had to port their plugins to new formats, the countless times they have had to update and rewrite their plugins to accommodate a new software version/a new OS. 

This would be the first (and possibly last) revisit Line 6 would have to make to Reason. I just think the complaints, questions, and suggestions need to be directed more their way. Even if it means 'back to square one' or that they deliver something different yet comparable. If it's their amp tones and approach people seem to favor, why not bug them to deliver something new in the RE format?

Many of us have had to buy things a second time. I'm wondering if Impact Soundworks offers Shreddage as a RE (which I own the ReFill) will I get a discount?  I'm not counting on it. But a RE version is what I would rather have.

• Information