Remote control over momentary buttons?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
buddard
RE Developer

19 Feb 2015

I'm trying to map my MIDI controller to a momentary button (Reset button in Euclid), and I'm getting unexpected results:

It seems that no matter what I map to the button, if it's a physical button on my controller (Evolution MK-249C) or a MIDI note, it will toggle the button instead of pressing it momentarily...

I'd like to know if there's there a way to "properly" remote control momentary buttons in Reason?

selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2015

buddard wrote:I'm trying to map my MIDI controller to a momentary button (Reset button in Euclid), and I'm getting unexpected results:

It seems that no matter what I map to the button, if it's a physical button on my controller (Evolution MK-249C) or a MIDI note, it will toggle the button instead of pressing it momentarily...

I'd like to know if there's there a way to "properly" remote control momentary buttons in Reason?
With my Axiom controller it is up to the controller to send the proper message. Remember that it's typically the "mouse up" that triggers the result, not the "mouse down". When you click on a momentary button, the effect doesn't happen until you RELEASE the mouse button.

If you click an hold a momentary button in Reason with a mouse, it will function exactly as it does when you use a controller set to toggle. That is why it has to be changed on the controller end rather than the "Reason" (software) end. Hopefully this all makes sense…

First thing to do IMO is to check the documentation that came with your controller to see if it's buttons can be re-configured. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

kloeckno

19 Feb 2015

selig wrote:
With my Axiom controller it is up to the controller to send the proper message. Remember that it's typically the "mouse up" that triggers the result, not the "mouse down". When you click on a momentary button, the effect doesn't happen until you RELEASE the mouse button.

If you click an hold a momentary button in Reason with a mouse, it will function exactly as it does when you use a controller set to toggle. That is why it has to be changed on the controller end rather than the "Reason" (software) end. Hopefully this all makes sense…

First thing to do IMO is to check the documentation that came with your controller to see if it's buttons can be re-configured. :)
Yes, I've had the same issue with a MIDI controller of mine, except it was the opposite: it sent out a momentary switch but I needed a toggle! Unfortunately the action of the pedals is not configurable without swapping out a chip inside the unit with a new one that I would've had to buy.

It was on a Behringer pedal board, and I wanted to use the buttons to switch FX chains. Obviously I didn't want to hold down the switch the whole time, so I had to use a bunch of Thors to create a 4-channel latching flip-flop. And I even figured out how to make it so only one channel could be active at once through the magic of CV!

So hopefully you can just switch the settings on your controller :)

KenK

19 Feb 2015

Buddard

Hamu's devices ModPanel/Newtrol have two rows of buttons - one row preset for momentary behavior, one row for toggle behavior. You can even change the default behavior of the rows.

Would it be possible to program the reset button in Euclid to only act as a momentary button?

Ironically, in some of Hamu's demo videos, he uses the ModPanel to control Euclid :)

Raveshaper

19 Feb 2015

Maschine mk2 has an option in the controller editor for momentary or toggle on its buttons, but that doesn't guarantee that devices in Reason are coded to respond to your controller as expected. Because of this, I would wrap Euclid in a combinator to get the momentary behavior using CV.

It would take a bit of patching but nothing too crazy. You would need to use a note gate to accomplish this. I can make a patch and submit it here later tonight. Since I don't have Euclid, you'll have to add it yourself and map it in the programmer of the combinator, but I'll give you instructions to make that easy.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

buddard
RE Developer

19 Feb 2015

KenK wrote:Buddard

Hamu's devices ModPanel/Newtrol have two rows of buttons - one row preset for momentary behavior, one row for toggle behavior. You can even change the default behavior of the rows.

Would it be possible to program the reset button in Euclid to only act as a momentary button?

Ironically, in some of Hamu's demo videos, he uses the ModPanel to control Euclid :)
Actually, Euclid's Reset button is a momentary button, and will work as such as long as you interact with it directly by clicking on it. What surprised me was that I was unable to remote control it properly using my MIDI keyboard, since the keyboard will send a note on when pressed and a note off when released... But the note off message is ignored, apparently.

I know I can work around it by wrapping it inside a combi or using Thor or whatever, but this is also research for another RE feature that I would like to work out-of-the-box...

buddard
RE Developer

19 Feb 2015

Does anyone here have a sustain pedal, by the way? Could you please try remote controlling a button with it -- preferrably a momentary button (and even better if it's Euclid's reser button ;-)), but it's not necessary.

I'm curious to know whether the sustain pedal acts as a proper momentary control...

And thanks for all the replies so far, you've been really helpful!

• Information