MIDI controller tutorials?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Last Alternative

18 Feb 2015

This is something a lot of us could use. I have never seen one single tutorial that properly shows how to connect you knobs, faders, etc. to Reason instruments & give tips/trix. Sure you right-click and assign stuff but I only know the most basics. I wish there were more info. I think Propellerhead should do thorough tutorials on the matter. Or maybe some of you know of some?
No luck here finding any so I feel pretty lost.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

KenK

18 Feb 2015

This article was written in 2006 and is still a nice introduction to Remote, Reason's interface between hardware and software.

https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/tag/remote

This video by Fretless Fingers is a "walkthrough on how to remote map your controller to new Rack Extensions in Propellerheads Reason"

Hope this helps.

KenK

18 Feb 2015

If you want to buy a RE to help manage the connection between your hardware and Reason, Alias8 by Peff, VoltSL-1 by Zvork and the ModPanel or Newtrol (same function but different color schemes) by Hamu are all designed for that.

Last Alternative

18 Feb 2015

^Thanx but I'm not buying an RE just for that. I just want to know how to hook up my controller to everything so it can pick up what I'm doing when I record/play live. I don't own any synth REs so it's just for stock stuff. And main controls on the combinators. I see in the video and I've noticed before that a lot of the stock stuff is auto-routed but sometimes I wanna customize what control does what. Like I said I know the bare bones basics and would like to know more.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Rice

18 Feb 2015

If you're using stock devices only, then the knobs should be straight forward. I'm like you, but my Axiom49 lines up pretty well with the stock stuff without any maps.

gullum

19 Feb 2015

Last Alternative wrote:^Thanx but I'm not buying an RE just for that. I just want to know how to hook up my controller to everything so it can pick up what I'm doing when I record/play live. I don't own any synth REs so it's just for stock stuff. And main controls on the combinators. I see in the video and I've noticed before that a lot of the stock stuff is auto-routed but sometimes I wanna customize what control does what. Like I said I know the bare bones basics and would like to know more.
Now what that video is showing is the same way you would go about mapping the stock devices to you controller. When you use the remote overwrite in reason it only saves it for the project you are working on, so if you open a new project you would have to do it all over again. If you edit the remote map file as the video is showing it becomes permanent.

Leighbeater

19 Feb 2015

This is awesome, I will have to mess around with this with I have a bit of free time

Do you know if we can access the Re Remote maps already made or where they stuck on the old PUF?

KenK

19 Feb 2015

Another great introduction to using Remote is by Koshdukai.

He has a three part tutorial on his blog

http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.pt ... of-it.html

Part three of his tutorial links to a site (Rack Extensions: Remote Map Scope List) on the old PUF that is now gone.

Fortunately, it has already been recreated here at Reasontalk.com:

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/rack-ext ... 1285907804

gullum

19 Feb 2015

Leighbeater wrote:This is awesome, I will have to mess around with this with I have a bit of free time Do you know if we can access the Re Remote maps already made or where they stuck on the old PUF?
I have made a dropbox folder with close to 250 remotmap files there in the reason talk thread posted by KenK.

Tried to get the once I made added to Github but got no response, In my Dropbox are all the once from github + mine and most if not all reason stock devices

Last Alternative

19 Feb 2015

Forgot to say I have a M-Audio oxygen25. I'm scared I'd mess up the coding!

gullum

19 Feb 2015

you could make a backup of the original and if you use a xml editor and make a mistake reason will tel you in what line of the remote map the mistake is
fist it shows a red stop sign them by pressing it it informs you on what and where the problem is
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-02-19_at_16.45.51.png
Screen_Shot_2015-02-19_at_16.45.51.png (60.65 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

kloeckno

19 Feb 2015

You just need to right click on a knob you want to control, select "Remote Override", and move the knob when the popup appears. The manual explains it quite well too.

You don't have to mess with the codec files if you're not really advanced.

Raveshaper

19 Feb 2015

Messing with the codec files is definitely overkill for some, but it can be used as a powerful alternative to or enhancement of cv signals. Essentially, you can "wire" devices together using multiple codecs that each share the same midi assignments. But information on how to do this is very limited I have discovered.

Edit: I have been doing this rather heavily lately in development of my live performance template. I should do some research and make a tutorial about it.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Last Alternative

19 Feb 2015

Hm. I sure wish it was mandatory for REs to be automatically setup like the stock stuff. :/

Leighbeater

20 Feb 2015

Thanks KenK and gullum I will check out the resources

Do you know if someone has the map for the AS-16 from DLD Technology?

Raveshaper

20 Feb 2015

I learned some things from the Livid Instruments codecs on github.

I didn't know, for instance, that you could declare variables using "_Var" inside a map file, let alone write expressions using control mappings. When I saw them setting up entire pages of alternate mappings for shared controls and linking them to button states, that just about blew my mind. But what I still don't know is how to do any of that and what the best practices are. Where is the documentation?

It would help if the new site PH put up wasn't down again, maybe there's a proper write up for the Remote API I could download.
If the Remote API is developer-only, what's the point of that?

KenK

20 Feb 2015

QwaizanG

If you are really interested in all the details of remote maps (and codecs) you should apply at the Reason website to be a Remote developer.
Applying is free and easy. Don't be intimidated by the company name and website part, that should not take any time. You do not have to incorporate or hire a lawyer or anything difficult.

Have fun!

gullum

20 Feb 2015

Leighbeater wrote:Thanks KenK and gullum I will check out the resources

Do you know if someone has the map for the AS-16 from DLD Technology?
remote map is uploaded to dropbox link is here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6607tdnk5s6u ... r.txt?dl=0

Raveshaper

20 Feb 2015

KenK

I was under the impression that I had to create an LLC and do a lot of paperwork to complicate my taxes just to qualify for that. If this is not so, then I'll consider it. I should think that just making the simple understanding of how to map a controller to Reason available to regular users would be a common sense imperative, but becoming a developer - strangely - seems to be the only way to learn about this. I do not understand the motivation for that decision at all. That information can help advanced users extend their expressive possibilities. But only if they understand what they can do and how they can do it.

What is the minimum required to qualify?

KenK

20 Feb 2015

QwaizanG

I do not know why PH makes one be a developer or why the non-disclosure agreement is so strict.
I think too many people are intimidated by the process.

This is from their website - https://www.propellerheads.se/developers#signUp

Anyone can register as a developer, but only companies can sell Rack Extensions or ReFills in the Propellerhead Shop. The requirements for selling products in our shop are:
  • You need a company with some sort of Tax ID, being a sole proprietor is sufficient as long as you are registered for VAT.
  • You need a website.
  • You need an email address where customer can get product support.
This means each developer will sign up for a user account and then apply to register a new company. If you don’t have a company yet, you can put your own name in the company name field.
If you want to be included in a previously registered company, send an email to that company and ask them to add you as a developer.
There are no costs involved. Propellerhead Software will administer the authorization, copyrights, logos, and trademarks. We’ll also provide technical support, free of charge.

So to register as a developer you need a company name - use what you want
a website - make one very 
quickly
The financial stuff only happens when you want to sell products in the PH shop.
When you request being a developer you get several choices - REs, Remote/codec etc. You might as well pick everything that interests you.
Even if you never make anything you will learn a lot about Reason.
Good luck!

KenK

20 Feb 2015

gullum

Thank you very much for the AS-16 remote map. I had wanted to make one, but never had the time.
Thank you very much for all the other ones you have made, too. :)

Raveshaper

20 Feb 2015

Part of my interest in learning the lesser known aspects of the program is to educate people about them.
Some of the desired features and common sources of frustration have remedies that lie within the "public domain" of the Reason knowledgebase, but others are most likely much more useful but lie behind the curtain of the NDA. If I seek to educate people about any aspect of information that can be accessed as a developer, I'm legally liable?

Can you imagine if Ableton's certified trainer program sued trainers for teaching?

KenK

20 Feb 2015

QwaizanG wrote:Part of my interest in learning the lesser known aspects of the program is to educate people about them.
Some of the desired features and common sources of frustration have remedies that lie within the "public domain" of the Reason knowledgebase, but others are most likely much more useful but lie behind the curtain of the NDA. If I seek to educate people about any aspect of information that can be accessed as a developer, I'm legally liable?

Can you imagine if Ableton's certified trainer program sued trainers for teaching?
I do not know why they are so secretive, but it is their program so it is their rules.

Personally, I doubt that if you flagrantly broke the NDA you would wind up in jail or owing PH millions of dollars, but I would not be surprised if they banned you as a developer.

I would not worry about these things too much - just apply anyway if you want to learn more and are curious.

Raveshaper

20 Feb 2015

I'll apply. It just occurred to me that it would be terrific fun to convert my clunky CV networks into lean and mean RE versions.
Now all I need is to learn C++ ...

MDTerps2015

03 Jun 2015

Ok so did anyone succeed in doing the remote mapping thing. I got as far as dropping one remote in, the Audioware tube limiter and made it all the way back to Reason without any errors but still no movement from the knobs when moving the controllers rotaries.Image Now this morning i was getting an error message and now im not. What am i doing wrong because im getting no response from device. Image That was this morning. 
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-06-03_at_10.53.18_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-06-03_at_10.53.18_AM.png (29.4 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

• Information