Well done Propellerhead!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bitley

16 Feb 2015

Your website looks like the arse of a donkey now.
Uninteresting like a 1979 manual to a pocket calculator.
Boring like an apple tree without apples.
Empty like the face of an ex-girlfriend with a hangover.
Unusable like a Mitsubishi Space Wagon on a Porsche day in the sun.

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2015

This new website just reflects the current trends of having those flowing multi-part pages that have everything but useful content. Mostly just lifestyle pictures of people and things that don't represent the real users.

It is sad but I'm not sure we should blame Props entirely as they simply do what is the current trend for dumbification. I personally would prefer a return to real content but taht is not hip.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2015

Benedict wrote:This new website just reflects the current trends of having those flowing multi-part pages that have everything but useful content. Mostly just lifestyle pictures of people and things that don't represent the real users.

It is sad but I'm not sure we should blame Props entirely as they simply do what is the current trend for dumbification. I personally would prefer a return to real content but taht is not hip.

:)
I always thought Reason was extremely "hip" when it first came out. Do folks want Reason to stick with one definition of hip, or should they be free to try to stay current?

Discuss, in an effort to create something of value here (because I fear this thread could end as badly as it started…). ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

16 Feb 2015

bitley™ wrote: Your website looks like the arse of a donkey now.
Uninteresting like a 1979 manual to a pocket calculator.
Boring like an apple tree without apples.
Empty like the face of an ex-girlfriend with a hangover.
Unusable like a Mitsubishi Space Wagon on a Porsche day in the sun.
I know, right?  It kinda' reminds me of the Fairlight.  

#rapbattle!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KEVMOVE02

16 Feb 2015

selig wrote: I always thought Reason was extremely "hip" when it first came out. Do folks want Reason to stick with one definition of hip, or should they be free to try to stay current? Discuss, in an effort to create something of value here (because I fear this thread could end as badly as it started…). ;)
+1 My thoughts exactly. Whether i agree or disagree with the OP sentiments, what of value can come of this dialogue, apart from providing some context, such as:
  1. I found nothing more or less appealing on Propellerhead's website that would result in me not continuing to purchase their products.
  2. Propellerhead.com provides the same experience as ableton.com, cakewalk.com, avid.com, native-instruments.com and steinberg.net, which have had few changes over the last few years. with that in mind, one could accuse Propellerhead for replacing their unique design for one that looks quite similar to other music software companies.
  3. Perhaps by adopting a website design similar to other music software companies, people who have never tried Reason before will find their way to Propellerhead's website.
  4. It is common for individuals who have not accepted that "the cheese has been move" to continue to seek a restoration of the old methods and practices. 
  5. I'm not even sure that website style and appeal make that much of a difference. I'm not buying the box that the product comes in, and the last time I checked, we listen to music, not look at it.

gak

16 Feb 2015

In my quest to understand all things reason/propellerhead, what did the website look like before? 

What am I supposed to be missing?

craven

16 Feb 2015

gak wrote:In my quest to understand all things reason/propellerhead, what did the website look like before? 

here, check it out with this awesome time machine!
:ugeek:

Tincture

16 Feb 2015

On reflection I think the Props made a good move. It was a shame to cull rather than preserve the forum but some good stuff has been saved.

I don't care about the design of the props site, I'm not blown away by the new one but it's no worse really IMO.

I hope that their resources are now freed up a little to concentrate on what they do best... Make music software.

gak

16 Feb 2015

gak wrote:In my quest to understand all things reason/propellerhead, what did the website look like before? 

craven wrote:
here, check it out with this awesome
craven wrote:time machine
craven wrote:!
Ah, that's why sometimes when I search for things I get a site like that.

wellman

16 Feb 2015

This is how I see it..: to me Propellerhead is just a company. They are in business with the ultimate goal of making money, and if possible, to make tons of it! They offer a product that suits very well with my needs as a musician, that's the only reason (no pun intended) I'm their client. They are no my family or my friends. Actually they just want to convince me to give them my hard earned dollars! So my only task in this "relationship" is to avoid getting ripped off by Propellerhead!

Having said that, I dont care if they want to convert their website into the next silkroad.com as long as they continue delivering a product that I want to buy.

That's why this time I didnt upgrade to Reason 8, and instead got some REs.

trimph1

16 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Just trivialities!
Yep. So true.

But it has always been thus.

Myself, I really don't care about the website...as long as they make great music software.
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

mayzon

17 Feb 2015

I really don't care what it looks like now as I rarely ever go there!

I don't own any Apple products so I only ever visit if I'm the the market for a new Re!

M

Ocean of Waves

17 Feb 2015

Finally they've got a decent website! I think the content is great and the design is current.

wikholm

17 Feb 2015

I have fond memories of 1979 pocket calculator manuals.

Once upon a time, software synthesizers were often regarded as more or less toys. Yet, as the technology matured, some of these toys, somehow, became today's tools. PH was one of the companies that made the serious software studio happen.

Currently, music apps for phones and tablets, are often regarded as more or less toys. Yet, as the technology matures, some of these toys will, somehow, become tomorrows tools.

It would be strange, I think, if PH did NOT try to make the serious mobile software studio happen. I suppose this new site is one step in that direction. That doesn't mean I endorse everything they do, only that I think their current moves are logical and in line with their tradition.

Snugglepuff

18 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:I feel like this thread happened already and this is a very late reaction lol
Lol. I'm sure we have talked about this before but I'm glad we can talk about it more. That website sucks butt. The dude at the top of the page looks like he's more likely to be hospitalized for walking into a pole than to come up with any divinely inspired tunes. 

I'm so excited right now about all the great RE's that are coming out, like ChordSET, Korde & Shape. It makes me feel like users are putting a lot more into Reason these days than Propellerhead, who seem a little lukewarm toward their flagship product. Maybe it's like Minecraft, in that respect.

KEVMOVE02

18 Feb 2015

Snugglepuff wrote:It makes me feel like users are putting a lot more into Reason these days than Propellerhead, who seem a little lukewarm toward their flagship product. Maybe it's like Minecraft, in that respect.
But isn't that the point? A well conceived DAW provides an infrastructure that allows others to customize the platform for that persons needs. Propellerhead didn't spend too much time creating ReFills, because their were plenty of third parties filling the pipeline with quality sound and patch libraries. The same could be said about Rack Extensions. In reality, no platform can thrive (let alone survive) without a healthy installed user base and third party developers. I think it is too soon to judge whether developers have embraced the format. If you want to make a judgment, look at the bestselling REs, based on first party vs third party developers. I'm not sure Minecraft can be used for comparison because the revenue models are entirely different. 

OldSchoolSkunk

18 Feb 2015

Ain't nothing wrong the the PH website..

Rice

18 Feb 2015

For me, the site looks just fine. I don't mind change and this one is fine with me!

CharlyCharlzz

18 Feb 2015

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

rvman

19 Feb 2015

I still have only been to the new site once since the change. It's WAY too over the top for me, and if I had not already bought Reason and went to that site I might not have bought it.

I don't like to hunt for information.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

KEVMOVE02

20 Feb 2015

rvman wrote:I still have only been to the new site once since the change. It's WAY too over the top for me, and if I had not already bought Reason and went to that site I might not have bought it.

I don't like to hunt for information.
So you pretty much stay off the Internet? It's like everyone is adopting the "Pinterest Look" for the website layout and design layout.

Gaja

20 Feb 2015

Also actually well done Bitley, for trolling us once again.

About the website, it's much better to browse from iOS devices. But not much reason to go there.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information