Arming Seq. Tracks for Multitrack MIDI Recording: HOW??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

12 Feb 2015

I think this might be a duplicate of an old post I made but I am stuck and need to know if I'm missing something obvious.

I have a multichannel midi controller, I have EMIs that loop through the controller's physical MIDI port to receiving devices that are properly assigned in the MIDI Bus. In order for me to record any MIDI notes for a given receiving device, I am forced to select its track in the sequencer and record on an individual basis -- one by one.

How do I implement full multitrack recording of incoming MIDI data? Is this possible, and if not, why not? Preferably, an in-depth and technical explanation of why not, not just a "i dunno, PH thinks it's still the 90's" response. The ground work for multitrack MIDI is all there and all of my MIDI Bus assignments constitute a multitrack configuration. The only part missing is the tracks dont record unless selected.

Is it as simple as Ctrl+clicking to select all the tracks I want to record? Is that all?
I've tried everything else, so I hope that's the case. I'd try that out right now instead of asking lamely but I'm exhausted from fighting with it.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

kloeckno

12 Feb 2015

Right click on the device, then select "Lock (name of controller) to Device" Then all the sequencer tracks that you do that to will record.

Raveshaper

12 Feb 2015

I'll investigate that a bit deeper but I think I can only lock to one target device at any given time.

Edit: yup, it's one device only.

Edit 2: I remember now, someone said you have to create multiple instances of single channel devices and then lock each one to a device. You have to trick Reason into treating a single multichannel device as multiple single channel controllers. What a pain. Why is that the only way? That is neither quick nor easy when all it needs to do is just record when data comes into the device. Everything else is setup and ready for that. How does it make sense to prevent this as an undesired behavior? Why the deliberate scientific approach? Where is the adaptive freedom of expression that opts for being able to do more than expected? It's so frustrating to negotiate with so many invisible "OK"/"Cancel" boxes in the architecture of the program.

Anyway, that's how you do it. Make multiple single channel devices and lock them each to a device to trick Reason into multitrack MIDI record. Ha ha ha, oh wow.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information