Question:Can REASON used a DSP audio card ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pjeudy

20 Feb 2015

sleeper0013 wrote:Creative Soundblaster ZxR 3d PCIe Sound processor. this gave me a 30% DSP increase on an machine with an AMD 9590FX 8core 4.7gh processor. Mind you this is an Internal card meant for a tower and not a laptop.
Wait really ? 30% MORE DSP?!! I'll take it !! but it's not a DSP card and I was told by ScuzzyEye Nope.

A faster CPU is a better deal anyway. It can be used for more things, and those DSP cards are not 0 latency.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ScuzzyEye

20 Feb 2015

It's possible if the drivers for the audio interface you're using are really poor, there will be a CPU overhead just generating sound. So yeah, changing to an interface that doesn't require an unusual amount of CPU just to play audio will seem like you're gaining DSP resources, but in fact you're just no longer wasting processor power.

One thing to make sure, is that the interface has an ASIO driver. Most onboard sound doesn't, while most pro interfaces do. That Soundblaster does, but its $200. For $200, you have a lot of options for pro interfaces.

PJeudy, what interface are you using now?

pjeudy

20 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:PJeudy, what interface are you using now?
I'm using On board from my motherboard Asus Saberthooth 990fx r2.0. My issues are noise from My computer being picked up by the OB (On Board) Audio card I listen 99.99 % using headphones...once I turn the volume up then yea it goes away no noise .
And I would like a bump in DSP I'm like to keep every thing MIDI for as long as I can! And It uses Realtek for the driver
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

ScuzzyEye

20 Feb 2015

Going to an external USB interface will almost surely solve your noise problem. Plus, good ones, which you can get starting at about $100-$150, will include ASIO drivers. That'll hopefully free up some CPU time to make more DSP available for Reason.

normen

21 Feb 2015

sleeper0013 wrote:Creative Soundblaster ZxR 3d PCIe Sound processor. this gave me a 30% DSP increase on an machine with an AMD 9590FX 8core 4.7gh processor. Mind you this is an Internal card meant for a tower and not a laptop.
But not because it does any DSP processing for Reason. Most probably because your buffer settings changed with the new driver or you had issues with the old audio interface (interrupt requests etc.).

pjeudy

21 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Going to an external USB interface will almost surely solve your noise problem. Plus, good ones, which you can get starting at about $100-$150, will include ASIO drivers. That'll hopefully free up some CPU time to make more DSP available for Reason.
Thanks.
I'm looking at the Focusrite scarlette solo $99 or the Focusrite scrarlette 2i2 $150.Does any one know if any of these 2 offer  loopback for feeding the audio back into REASON.Or does that feature only available at the $250  saffire pro 14 level?

electrofux

22 Feb 2015

Before buying a new card i would really inspect the "15- 23 or so tracks total and I only use about 1-2 REs/stock devices for each one".

It does make a difference if you use 23 Antidotes or Thors, 23 Tsars or RV7000s and in the worst case a new card really doesnt get you that much of a jump. There is stuff that uses insane amounts of CPU, even different Patches of the same device can differ alot.

tyerac

26 Feb 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:Going to an external USB interface will almost surely solve your noise problem. Plus, good ones, which you can get starting at about $100-$150, will include ASIO drivers. That'll hopefully free up some CPU time to make more DSP available for Reason.
pjeudy wrote: Thanks.
I'm looking at the Focusrite scarlette solo $99 or the Focusrite scrarlette 2i2 $150.Does any one know if any of these 2 offer  loopback for feeding the audio back into REASON.Or does that feature only available at the $250  saffire pro 14 level?
 No the 2i2 and solo don't offer loopback. The cheapest option for loopback support from Focusrite products is the Scarlett 8i6 (NOT the i8i6). They can be had used for $100-150 on CL/Ebay etc.

I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

pjeudy

26 Feb 2015

pjeudy wrote: Thanks.
tyerac wrote:
 No the 2i2 and solo don't offer loopback. The cheapest option for loopback support from Focusrite products is the Scarlett 8i6 (NOT the i8i6). They can be had used for $100-150 on CL/Ebay etc.
Thanks will look into it!

• Information