For the next major Reason 9 update how likely is...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zakalwe

12 Feb 2015

a lot of people were requesting that.

they never give anything away, unless they're doing a reveal.  when they announce it you'll know about the features.

but it's probably one of the easier things to do compared to the other most requested features.  and they already added busses to the mixer.

DiZo

12 Feb 2015

for me a system of files, for multiple record of reason files for send directly in good direction my project (style, tools etc...)
without windows OS browser :)

True

12 Feb 2015

Given the bussing functionality and the hardware metaphor of the mixer, I would say folders there would be somewhat less likely than in the sequencer, where it would be simple to implement from a visual perspective and there really is little argument against it. But as has been mentioned, the "likelihood" is equal to the likelihood of everything else, considering Props rarely give even a hint of what features are being planned.

esselfortium

12 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:It's an old & good suggestion for sure, Danny!

I'd love to see a complete overhaul of half-rack devices meaning that they would get a new look (full-rack) & some additional features & maybe sound betterment so to speak...
I'd rather see some new compact devices than see the existing ones bloated out to a larger size.

Hopefully someday half-rack REs can be a thing.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2015

True wrote:Given the bussing functionality and the hardware metaphor of the mixer, I would say folders there would be somewhat less likely than in the sequencer, where it would be simple to implement from a visual perspective and there really is little argument against it. But as has been mentioned, the "likelihood" is equal to the likelihood of everything else, considering Props rarely give even a hint of what features are being planned.
I can see "folders" working in all three views. I wish Reason would be better integrated between the views, with overall consistency improvements everywhere. 

My ultimate Reason design would have one Mixer Channel type (the Meta Channel) that handles all data types (rather than having a separate audio/aux/bus channel types). In the Mixer, you can create sub-groups and fold them. In the Sequencer it follows that you can fold the grouped channels and just work with the bus channel. In the Rack you can fold a single channel so all instruments feeding that channel are folded (like a Combinator), and same for grouped channels. All three view default to following each other, and there would be commands to "do to all" (show/hide) in all three views. 

Other advantages of this approach are that audio and MIDI data can be in the same "track", great for "freezing" tracks, great for working with Vocoders or Neptune effects, etc. This also ensures that ALL automation is in one place, from the source instrument down to the mixer channel.

With all three main views behaving exactly the same, things are greatly simplified. With one channel type which offers all features you don't have to know what you want to do before you can choose the appropriate channel type. 

This is an example of greatly simplifying the interface (reducing "bloat"), while at the same time enhancing workflow AND adding features!

Anyway, I digress, but yes folders would be nice.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

cpetersus

12 Feb 2015

True wrote: My ultimate Reason design would have one Mixer Channel type (the Meta Channel) that handles all data types (rather than having a separate audio/aux/bus channel types). In the Mixer, you can create sub-groups and fold them. In the Sequencer it follows that you can fold the grouped channels and just work with the bus channel. In the Rack you can fold a single channel so all instruments feeding that channel are folded (like a Combinator), and same for grouped channels. All three view default to following each other, and there would be commands to "do to all" (show/hide) in all three views. 

Other advantages of this approach are that audio and MIDI data can be in the same "track", great for "freezing" tracks, great for working with Vocoders or Neptune effects, etc. This also ensures that ALL automation is in one place, from the source instrument down to the mixer channel.

With all three main views behaving exactly the same, things are greatly simplified. With one channel type which offers all features you don't have to know what you want to do before you can choose the appropriate channel type. 

This is an example of greatly simplifying the interface (reducing "bloat"), while at the same time enhancing workflow AND adding features!

Anyway, I digress, but yes folders would be nice.
:)
Its like you were in my brain!  AMEN!
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

gak

13 Feb 2015

Oh, it's too early for me being so new......but I'm game anyways :s0225:

In the short period of time, folders would be nice.

Double clicking the arrangement icon for the device being used opens the rack

Exploding takes to one track.

Groove application to audio.

Yonatan

15 Feb 2015

Yes, a better organisation with folding and an overall better integration between the 3 sections in Reason, but I would expect that before version 9, as version 8 was said to be all about the workflow.
Version 9 would have to be a new leap, not just another little step that should have been in R8.  

• Information