Audio Book

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

31 Dec 1969

Aside from software, what is he recording with?  Mic?  Interface?  Or does he need to get that as well? =\",1423248028"

Pimphish

06 Feb 2015

A client has asked me to record/edit an audio book for them but they want to record the audio themselves.  Not being in control of the audio capture is quite terrifying for me but he's insistent that he wants to do it.  

I need to suggest something simple that he can capture his voice well that won't require me to pull out all my hair transfer audio clips to HD's etc via the phone with him and that someone who is not an audio engineer can use.

Thoughts?

tibah

06 Feb 2015

Reason Essentials. (Good because you can open the projects in the full version, self-containing the original recordings.)

Audacity. (Free.)

REAPER. (Unlimited trial, so to speak and cheap to get into, easy to just record things, gets very *ugly* if you dive deep into, but rewarding once you customize it to your needs.)

Tracktion. (Cheap and not too fiddly.)

Podium Free. (Best free DAW imo. Full version is $50 only. Personally, I use Podium Free once in a while to still play with some plug-ins.)

I hope you are about computer applications! ;)  I'm a PC guy, so these are cheap / free programs to check.

joeyluck

06 Feb 2015

Another vote for Reason Essentials.

If he is insistent on recording it himself, but in addition wants your help, you should be able to hook him into getting into Reason ;)

Gaja

06 Feb 2015

Pimphish wrote: A client has asked me to record/edit an audio book for them but they want to record the audio themselves.  Not being in control of the audio capture is quite terrifying for me but he's insistent that he wants to do it.  

I need to suggest something simple that he can capture his voice well that won't require me to pull out all my hair transfer audio clips to HD's etc via the phone with him and that someone who is not an audio engineer can use.

Thoughts?
For audio books I strongly recommend protools. I have recorded an audiobook in Reason and while the recording is easy and works well, the editing in Reason is a pita compared to ProTools.
I have also recorded myself reading an audio book in ProTools and also in Reason, and I can say that it is certainly no fun to do it alone.
It's really tedious, because you tend to make more mistakes if there's nobody there to do directing. You have to co centrate more on aspects like did I just pronounce that right, and all that jazz. A director gives reassurance, by making sure you feel comfortable with your voice.
If he insists to do it all alone, then be prepared for some serious editing work involved. ProTools gives you the convenience of their shuffle mode, which makes all the audio slip backward by the same amount you edited out. In Reason you always have to grab the the clip and drag it back all the time, or you'll create massive holes, and Reason can't zoom out very much. If you have several hours of audio in Reason, transporting can be a real chore. ProTools is much better suited for this job. Zoom, Shuffle, Editing shortcuts, also the ability to zoom into the waveform and draw out clicks from saliva or lips, all make ProTools thentools for the Job,
Cheers!
Fredhoven

eusti

06 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Surely Audition CC, plus you can use it for exactly the time you need, coz you know, Adobe has that subscription thingy now!
Don't get me started on Adobe's subscription model! ;)

D.

Jagwah

06 Feb 2015

Whatever he uses tell him to have the microphone input level down very low. A bit of noise is far better than eternal clipping :t1465:

• Information