Reason 8.2: The Little Improvements [UPDATED]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

*UPDATE* 4/7/2015

I amended this list to include the changes since 8.2...

Back when 8 first dropped, old Propellerhead User Forum alumni Tronam compiled a neat list of improvements that appeared in Reason 8 that many might not be aware of.  I thought it would be useful to post it again here, as most think the only new things that appeared in 8 was drag and drop and one sequencer improvement aside from the GUI change.  Anyway, here's the list:

• The Tool window's main quantize settings are now directly accessible in the transport panel.
  • The Duplicate function (Ctrl/Command-D) is now available for clips, notes and automation point ranges. The result is the same as copying and pasting, but works during playback and is faster. Note that the Snap setting affects the result.
  • Audio files can be dragged from the desktop to the sampler devices or specific points on the sequencer timeline, bypassing the browser completely.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Clip Color called "Use Track Color". If checked when a MIDI clip is dragged onto another track it will take on the color of that new track.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Channel Color and Edit -> Track Color called "Mirror Source Track Color". When checked it will ensure that any color changes will propagate across all 3 views.
  • Notes and automation points can be created or deleted by double-clicking in the MIDI editor.
  • MIDI and audio clips can be created by double-clicking in the sequencer window. Their size will be equivalent to the snap value.
  • When double-clicking in the sequencer to create clips, notes or automation points, hold the 2nd click and drag to extend them in one step.
  • The length of MIDI notes can now be adjusted from the front.
  • REX files now always display as browsable folders making it possible to audition and load individual slices without needing to load the entire loop. (This was previously only possible from within the sample playback instruments)
  • The undo history has been increased from 30 to 300+ actions. (Maximum is uncertain; My OCD has its limits)
  • The Create sub-menus for Instruments, Effects and Utilities now maintain a dynamic list of the most frequently used devices.
  • Songs with missing samples or refills now fully open and are immediately playable. The sounds can then be replaced at any time on the fly using the new missing sounds browser.
  • Naming is much more consistent between patches and the sequencer/rack/mixer views. By default when an instrument patch is loaded the rack device, track and mix channel will automatically inherit its name. This name linking can be interrupted by manually renaming the mix channel or track/device. Erasing the custom name will revert it back to being linked to the patch name.
  • Devices are now organized within developer name sub-menus.
  • The previous Creative FX and Studio FX categories have been merged. Devices now simply list as Instruments, Effects or Utilities.
  • A new menu function "Create Send FX…" simplifies adding new effects devices to the SSL send FX buses and can be done from within the sequencer, or anywhere in the rack and mixer views.
  • Drop to Propellerhead: automatically upload any mix (loop or song) to Propellerhead servers, either public or unlisted.  Reason now opens any content stored on Discover (from Reason, Take, or Figure), including tempo and time signature information. (8.1)
  • Drop Reason songs to Take, so you can use your own projects! (8.1)
  • Login and password now saved for Internet Authorization (8.1)
  • Reason will now automatically detect if there is a newer version available, and optionally download and install this. A typical Reason update (without soundbanks) is now around 100 MB - a tenth of its old size! (8.2)
  • When browsing patches, you can now Revert back to the patch that was loaded when you started browsing.  This mimics the old modal browsing (7.1.1 and earlier) "feature" of being able to cancel a patch browsing session and revert back to your original/last patch/state. (8.2)
  • The color palette for tracks, channels and clips has been extended to 32 colors. (8.2)
  • The remotable items for Redrum have been extended to allow programming of Redrum patterns from a control surface. (8.2)
  • Reinstated key command for Show/Hide Recording Meter: Command-F3 (Mac) or Ctrl-F3 (Windows). (8.2)
  • Keyboard focus is now returned to the sequencer after the user makes settings in the Transport panel. (8.2)
  • Improved track pad scrolling in the sequencer. (8.2)

Not new to R8, but R7 introduced many more supported file types for import and this might be new information to users who haven't worked with audio files as often in past versions of Reason:

.wav, .aiff, .aifc (OSX only?), .3g2, .3gp, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpeg, .mpa, .snd, .au, .sd2, .ac3, .aac, .adts, .amr, .caf, .m4a .m4r, .mp4., .sf2, .rx2, .rcy, .rex

Enjoy!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2015

Yeah but my cups still half empty ;)

EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:Yeah but my cups still half empty ;)
Attachments
xtkbaoey5yxduguciaog.gif
xtkbaoey5yxduguciaog.gif (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2484 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

06 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Double click for creating clips & notes alone worth an upgrade, superb!
The doubleclick doesn't matter to me - holding Alt was and still is enough.

This one has made me work much faster though:
  • The Duplicate function (Ctrl/Command-D) is now available for clips, notes and automation point ranges. The result is the same as copying and pasting, but works during playback and is faster. Note that the Snap setting affects the result.

EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

I really like double-clicking in the sequencer to create clips, notes or automation points, hold the 2nd click and drag to extend them in one step.

Leighbeater

06 Feb 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:Double click for creating clips & notes alone worth an upgrade, superb!

Agree with the duplicate function being awesome, allows me to work on the fly while the loop is playing, it's amazing something so simple can make a huge difference

BPGeez

06 Feb 2015

I just adore the drag and drop of audio files (and instrument files)!!!!! It saves me SHITLOADS of time and allows me to stay in the creative zone when I'm in it. This is (I believe) worth the price of the upgrade alone. Hope nobody comes to get me after posting this :s0238:
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

Exowildebeest

06 Feb 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:

Exowildebeest wrote: Agree with the duplicate function being awesome, allows me to work on the fly while the loop is playing, it's amazing something so simple can make a huge difference
I did it before by Ctrl+dragging, but this new method is better in most cases :)

Exowildebeest

06 Feb 2015

BPGeez wrote:I just adore the drag and drop of audio files (and instrument files)!!!!! It saves me SHITLOADS of time and allows me to stay in the creative zone when I'm in it. This is (I believe) worth the price of the upgrade alone. Hope nobody comes to get me after posting this :s0238:
I'll come get you then: I'd love to share in your elation, were it not for the fact that I am a multi-window user, so the whole drag&drop thing is lost on me since the browser is locked to the sequencer aaaaargh. Reason 8.2 fix for this NAOW!

EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

BPGeez wrote:I just adore the drag and drop of audio files (and instrument files)!!!!! It saves me SHITLOADS of time and allows me to stay in the creative zone when I'm in it. This is (I believe) worth the price of the upgrade alone. Hope nobody comes to get me after posting this :s0238:
This right here.  +100!
Exowildebeest wrote:I'd love to share in your elation, were it not for the fact that I am a multi-window user, so the whole drag&drop thing is lost on me since the browser is locked to the sequencer aaaaargh. Reason 8.2 fix for this NAOW!
I'm a multimonitor-multiwindow user.  While I prefer being able to detach the browser, having it locked to the sequencer hasn't killed my flow like it has yours.  I would like it to be able to be changed to your detached window of choice, though.

ebop

06 Feb 2015

Yeah the drag and drop and open browser has sped things right up for me. I'm finding I'm trialling more patches as it's just so quick. I don't miss the cancel option. I'd like a Tool Window button on the transport bar though.

Exowildebeest

06 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
This right here.  +100!
Exowildebeest wrote:I'd love to share in your elation, were it not for the fact that I am a multi-window user, so the whole drag&drop thing is lost on me since the browser is locked to the sequencer aaaaargh. Reason 8.2 fix for this NAOW!
EnochLight wrote:
I'm a multimonitor-multiwindow user.  While I prefer being able to detach the browser, having it locked to the sequencer hasn't killed my flow like it has yours.  I would like it to be able to be changed to your detached window of choice, though.
I wouldn't say it has "killed my flow" ;) It's still better than 7, it just sucks that the drag&drop is largely lost on me, except when it comes to dragging audio into the sequencer.

ionly

06 Feb 2015

Many thanks for this EnochLight.

I upgraded from R7 to 8.1 today, and was actually going to start a similar topic regarding any changes, etc. (I missed most of anything R8-related in the PUF), so this is of particular benefit to me.

So far, so good - I like the UI aesthetics, drag/drop, and the Softube Amps were the biggest deal clincher for me. Strangely, there seems to be more DSP left in the tank for some of my more intensive projects also.

Cheers :D

EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

ionly wrote:Many thanks for this EnochLight.

I upgraded from R7 to 8.1 today
Fantastic!  I was hoping some newer users might find this useful.

Cheers

kb420

06 Feb 2015

I just updated today from 7. I haven't had the chance to really dig in yet, but I'm really impressed with the new browser. The entire program feels a lot more mature and fluid. It isn't the kind of update that we've been accustomed to, but I really think that's due to the amount of RE's. This is definitely a workflow update.
Sooooooooo,  you shut down the forums?  Bad move Props!!!!!

ionly

07 Feb 2015

kb420 wrote:I just updated today from 7. I haven't had the chance to really dig in yet, but I'm really impressed with the new browser. The entire program feels a lot more mature and fluid. It isn't the kind of update that we've been accustomed to, but I really think that's due to the amount of RE's. This is definitely a workflow update.
I agree 100%. After 1 day of dragging/dropping, I couldn't imagine not having it now.

rvman

07 Feb 2015

Before the official forum shut down, I posted about me and the wife making 5 demos in a little over 3 hours.

Out of all the daws I've used over the past 12 years, I would not been able to do what we did in Reason 8. I was using drum loops and refills along with a click track.

They sound great and it was FUN.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

EddieG

07 Feb 2015

THanks for posting this
I'm reminded of the feature workflow requests I made to support for workflow enhancement that makes not only me happy and more productive, but you-all round these parts right here
Notes colors blocks project containment etc
Great stuff

stratcatfl in the house !

EnochLight

07 Feb 2015

EddieG wrote:THanks for posting this
I'm reminded of the feature workflow requests I made to support for workflow enhancement that makes not only me happy and more productive, but you-all round these parts right here
Great stuff
No problem. Tronam is the real hero, but I don't know if he came along to Reasontalk or not.
rvman wrote:Before the official forum shut down, I posted about me and the wife making 5 demos in a little over 3 hours.

Out of all the daws I've used over the past 12 years, I would not been able to do what we did in Reason 8.
You would NOT have been able to do this in 8, or you couldn't have done it WITHOUT 8? Confused!

kitekrazy

07 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
  • Login and password now saved for Internet Authorization

This one is great if you have multiple machines.

rvman

07 Feb 2015

EddieG wrote:THanks for posting this
Great stuff
EnochLight wrote:
No problem. Tronam is the real hero, but I don't know if he came along to Reasontalk or not.
rvman wrote:Before the official forum shut down, I posted about me and the wife making 5 demos in a little over 3 hours.

Out of all the daws I've used over the past 12 years, I would not been able to do what we did in Reason 8.
EnochLight wrote:
You would NOT have been able to do this in 8, or you couldn't have done it WITHOUT 8? Confused!
I was/am able to get more done.....faster.....in Reason 8. Compared to other daws I've used.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

EnochLight

07 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
  • Login and password now saved for Internet Authorization

kitekrazy wrote:

This one is great if you have multiple machines.
Oh definitely, though I use it on my main studio machine even though I have an Ignition Key.  I just prefer to use the web login since I'm usually demo'ing or beta testing various RE's almost always.   :comp:
rvman wrote:I was/am able to get more done.....faster.....in Reason 8. Compared to other daws I've used.
Oh right on!   :)

PSoames

07 Feb 2015

I'm not sure if it was there before; can't find any reference to it in the Version 7 manual, but the mouse wheel can now be used to quickly scroll through BPM, song position and L/R markers on transport bar. Also can be used on audio clips position, length, fade in/out, level and transpose in the sequencer tool ribbon and certain settings within the tool window.

Apologies if it was there previously, I don't remember being able to do in previous versions.

• Information