Took the plunge

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

05 Feb 2015

I went for it last night and upgraded to Reason 8.1 from 7. Was trying to resist as I wasn't convinced I needed this upgrade (for the first time since Reason 2.0!!). In the end I just had to have it. Reason is a bit like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes in this regard!

CharlyCharlzz

05 Feb 2015

congratulation , if the softube amps stay in the box for version 9 or 8.5 I may wait until then .
otherwise yhea I feel like it's about time for me to jump in the 8.1 world :)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

rvman

05 Feb 2015

Awesome. It's a little different, and can be quirky, but you learn to adjust. My overall experience is positive.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

miahluvdd

05 Feb 2015

Welcome!! :)

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Faastwalker wrote:I went for it last night and upgraded to Reason 8.1 from 7. Was trying to resist as I wasn't convinced I needed this upgrade (for the first time since Reason 2.0!!). In the end I just had to have it. Reason is a bit like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes in this regard!
Drag and drop FTW!  Honestly, I tried running 7.1 a few weeks ago and could hardly bear to look at it.  

Enjoy!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miahluvdd

05 Feb 2015

Reason 8 caused me to love my refill folders again. The delay on 7 had gotten me to putting a few favorites and only using those. With 8 I find myself browsing and diversifying sources for patches and inspiration.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

05 Feb 2015

miahluvdd wrote:Reason 8 caused me to love my refill folders again. The delay on 7 had gotten me to putting a few favorites and only using those. With 8 I find myself browsing and diversifying sources for patches and inspiration.
^^^^^^ This +1000

rvman

05 Feb 2015

miahluvdd wrote:Reason 8 caused me to love my refill folders again. The delay on 7 had gotten me to putting a few favorites and only using those. With 8 I find myself browsing and diversifying sources for patches and inspiration.
Absolutely. I've got so many refills that I haven't messed with learning the synths yet. I can find a killer sound and quickly drag it in and go.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

doinky

06 Feb 2015

I don't use Reason 8 for the simple fact that it messed up the workflow in multiple windows for me.

That said, I do know the browser speed was my favourite thing in Reason 8 and I do miss it. Not to mention the littler things in the sequencer that changed.

Ah, well, enjoy it. I can't. Back to Reason 7's slow browser, ugh!

Leighbeater

06 Feb 2015

Faastwalker wrote:I went for it last night and upgraded to Reason 8.1 from 7. Was trying to resist as I wasn't convinced I needed this upgrade (for the first time since Reason 2.0!!). In the end I just had to have it. Reason is a bit like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes in this regard!
This was exactly my situation, i tried to resist as well but bought it about a week ago and I am glad I did

As someone else mentioned it opens up all your refills, as well as your samples packs and presets. I realised i had more sample packs than what I thought

the biggest thing for me was dragging audio and midi straight out of my other DAW (Live) straight into the Reason sequencer, i think you can do it in R7 but it works so much smoother in R8. 

KnowKontrol

06 Feb 2015

I was skeptical of 8 at first and all the people I worked with were all on 7... i really wanted the amps.... but now that I have it... I really do like it. Most of the folk I work with also were convinced and have upgraded. I have grown used to it.. and its none to shabby. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2015

R8 is the first time I have really used ReFills, samples etc. It puts them on a lot more of a level playing field with the instruments.

8.1 is really all about Discover and now I have seen the latest vid with the 'pulling to time' bit I have a far greater sense of how the Discover thing could be great. I would like it to find a way to seem more open to more styles than EDM, EDM-hop and EDM-step but that will probably come; after all that guitar/singing track wasn't E or D at all. Did sound passably like M though. Also bringing over MIDI and info like Key Signature would be useful

I think it is doing more damage than good to hold out and refuse to upgrade on some narrow principal but each to their own.

Personally I think some more Tuts from Props showing some of their vision in action will help it to make sense. Not that I should need their vision at all as I have my own and play pretty close to that most of the time.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

zeebot

06 Feb 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: congratulation , if the softube amps stay in the box for version 9 or 8.5 I may wait until then .
otherwise yhea I feel like it's about time for me to jump in the 8.1 world :)
You will have to change your sig then :)

Still on 7, will remain on 7, dont want the amps, dont need most of the 'workflow' improvements so I'm not paying an over inflated price for stuff I dont need or want.
R9 please.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

zakalwe

06 Feb 2015

yeah I'm staying on 7 and i'm back to rewire, which is working out so well i'm not sure if i care much about R9.  it'll have to be amazing.

i'm split on the browser, it looks fantastic for dropping samples into kong but for patch browsing i think i'd rather have 7's setup.

kb420

06 Feb 2015

I actually just took the plunge too,  and I must admit I really like the new browser.  The whole experience seems like a much more mature piece of software.  
Sooooooooo,  you shut down the forums?  Bad move Props!!!!!

EnochLight

06 Feb 2015

For those who recently picked up 8/8.1, check out this thread:

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/reason-8 ... 1286095540
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

darkmode

06 Feb 2015

Yep me too..eventually went for it. I've found I got used to it quite quickly that I like 8 more than I thought I would.

I did pick it up cheap though from Inta Audio.

• Information