Had my first serious 8.1 bug, playing a click when it didn't exist!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Theo.M

05 Feb 2015

Hi, today i had my first serious Reason 8 bug.

I imported an audio clip into a fresh, blank project.. i.e this audio was the very first thing to be used in this project. 

So cpu load is basically 0 at this point.

For some reason, as the SPL approaches the audio (there is quite a bit of blank space in the part before there is actual audio), whilst it is over the blank space it plays a click that simply  doesn't exist.

I have zoomed right into the file and also opened it in multiple other programs and there is no pop/click at all.

I move the part around in reason and the same thing happens. I try a massive fade in.. and guess what, it moves proportionally, i.e the click is now created at a further point in than it was previously.

Scratching my head here, i undo all edits so far, basically go back to the very first thing I did which was import the file. I bounce mixer channel. Click gone. WTF?

For some reason, the program decided to create a noise that was not present whatsoever anywhere in the file, and do that one noise just before the playhead spl would strike actual audio.

I wanted to cut and edit this audio to make a perfect loop, but gave up because of the click driving me nuts, so i did it in Logic. Sigh :frown:

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

Hey Theo,

All I can think of is the obvious, which has probably already occurred to you - that the file was 'recalculating' when you first played it, thus producing a glitch. After it finished calculating, it played fine. Not sure if this even lines up with what you described above, just the first (and only) thing that came to mind.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Pepin

05 Feb 2015

I've run into some obscure issues exporting gapless loops before... I think it was related to importing clips not evenly divisible into subticks.

Ultimately, I just exported with the click and fixed it up in Sound Forge.

Raveshaper

05 Feb 2015

The only thing I could think of would be a DC offset issue, but if you haven't been able to locate one in something like Audacity when zoomed in really tight it must be something broken in R8.1.

Have you tried sending the output of your audio track through a Thor and using the Amp Envelope to control the level? Maybe adjusting the attack of the envelope would eliminate it by allowing it to ease in a bit.
That said, it doesn't sound like that would improve things if the fade in failed to be effective and I can definitely see how having to build a clever workaround that outsmarts the malfunction in the software's default behavior can be a real drag. Defeats the quick and easy drag and drop completely. FWIW, I've never encountered this problem in audio on R7.1.1.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

rvman

05 Feb 2015

Do you want/need that blank space before the audio? Why not cut it?
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Theo.M

06 Feb 2015

rvman wrote:Do you want/need that blank space before the audio? Why not cut it?
It then moved the placement of the phantom click.

I think people might be interpreting this the wrong way.. The whole point was that i WANTED to create a perfect loop and cut out the blank areas of this file, but as the playhead neared the audio, it would first play a click.. no matter what was cut, what crossfades used, etc.. it just would play something that wasn't there and of course it wasn't there as as I said, on the bounced mixer channel/reimport file it played clickless. 

And the original file played in twisted wave/cubase/logic/ableton 100% click free. There simply ISN'T anything there when reason was clicking. It was just a silent bit of the file before the audio came in. I mean i think i would be able to see a click that would hit like minus 2db and be very pronounced on the file itself anyway.

It was a playback buffering issue of some kind, but now I feel I can't trust reason to make edits like this as I will be getting confused over invisible clicks!

Raveshaper

06 Feb 2015

One thing I thought of: do you have audio track monitoring set to automatic? If so, reason might be "unmuting" the channel in anticipation of the first bit of audio. I know I can hear a small "pop/click" when muting and unmuting tracks.

Theo.M

06 Feb 2015

QwaizanG wrote:One thing I thought of: do you have audio track monitoring set to automatic? If so, reason might be "unmuting" the channel in anticipation of the first bit of audio. I know I can hear a small "pop/click" when muting and unmuting tracks.
no it's on manual, i want to be in total control of that. This is just a single track brand new project, inserting audio file and reason clicking just before it plays the audio. I bounced it to see if there indeed was a click that i couldn't see even at full zoom, and that's when there was more than one track (and the bounced track had no click or played no click). For whatever reason, reason just refused to play that audio file on track one without a click. When it happens again, it doesn't go away at all whilst the project is open, so i will use my smarts this time and immediately make a video.

EDIT: By the way, I really wanted to say thank you.. I knew this topic would be a very rare "bug" if that, and a long shot, but what a GREAT community here! You guys at least jumped in and tried your very best to help. The effort is really much appreciated. Just wanted to edit this post and give that thanks because I don't do it often enough. Cheers.

rvman

07 Feb 2015

Yes. A video of this is something I'd like to see. I've never heard of this happening in ANY daw.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

Theo.M

07 Feb 2015

rvman wrote:Yes. A video of this is something I'd like to see. I've never heard of this happening in ANY daw.
me neither, ever in my life. I honestly couldn't believe it when it was happening and did everything i could at the time to make sure i wasn't crazy, i checked every possible loophole. Oh well. 

Raveshaper

07 Feb 2015

I believe I may have experienced something like this when slicing audio and I had to merge clips and normalize to remove it. But that was more like an almost imperceptible "futzing" sound and not a click.

I used normalize to "clean up" edited audio tracks before I found out about bounce to new recording.

• Information