mastering - audio export issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tsferro

04 Feb 2015

I'm new to mastering and have been running into a major issue when I export audio. The issue was occurring before I tried any mastering techniques and is still showing up in most exports.

What happens: the audio export file has levels that move up and drown dramatically ("breathing" I suppose), mainly when drum tracks come in and out (ie stings/pads levels sound fine, but when the drums kick in, the stings/pads get cut in half).

This problem is not audible/apparent when playing the song in Reason, ONLY in the export audio file. Why is the so? Is there any way I can preview the song in Reason so that it will mimic the exported audio file playback? 

As for the mastering, I am using EQs to adjust levels to "clear up head room", and simply using preset Mastering processing without adjusting much ("Dance" mostly).

djfm1983

04 Feb 2015

Sounds like it could be pumping due to the mastering compression. Could you post a file?
soundcloud.com/djfm1983

Raveshaper

04 Feb 2015

Are any of your levels going up into the red? That can have adverse effects on exported audio but you should hear it in Reason before bouncing it out.

Check to make sure the output gain of your mastering preset devices isn't boosted. That should be audible inside Reason as well, but it could sound different after export. I have noticed that the MClass Maximizer's soft clip feature is inaudible within Reason itself, so it may be this device that is creating unexpected behavior.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

selig
RE Developer

04 Feb 2015

In most cases to date when folks say it sounds different outside of Reason it's been because they were listening through some sort of music player that had a pretty heavy preset loaded. 

But I also agree with others, what you are describing is over-compression. If you have patched things differently than the default in the master section and hardware interface, you could conceivably hear something different than is begin exported. You would probably be aware of this if it was so - you using only the main L/R outputs?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

tsferro

05 Feb 2015

I believe I am only using the L/R outputs (not sure exactly what you mean by that, I am relatively new to Reason). When I play back a song in Reason, I don't use any "music players" or preset processors, outside of the Mastering presets, however the problem was there before I tried any mastering techniques. Also, none of the levels are going up into the red.  

ScuzzyEye

05 Feb 2015

The audio player, refers to what you are using to play the file after it has been exported. When you have the .wav outside of Reason, what are you using to play it? Many .wav players have EQ or other "enhancements" applied to their playback. That's very likely the cause.

Reason exports to disk what you hear on the default L/R outputs. If you didn't change anything with the wiring from the Master Output to the Audio Interface, what you hear is what you get.

tsferro

06 Feb 2015

I use Windows media player or VLC media player - what's strange is it shows up in both, and also when I post to Youtube or Facebook.

Dask

09 Feb 2015

I'm currently having the same problem - couldn't find out what exactly it is yet though. If any of you have any pointers, that'd be great!

• Information