The Non-Religious Thread about Discover Service

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KEVMOVE02

04 Feb 2015

I don't think you will get many replies because, in my mostly invalid opinion, most users of this forum are not that interested in the Discover service; they were here for the debate. Considering that Discover is still in beta, I think it still has a good chance of becoming a dynamic community of artists from all walks of life, freely exchanging ideas without fear. Why? Because making music in a social environment is a positive and enjoyable experience. Just as long as it stays away from the "one artist performs, while everyone else tells them how much they suck" scenario, it will do fine.

Leighbeater

04 Feb 2015

Once we are able to communicate with individual artist there it could good be good

Example, you like the singer of a certain track so you send him/her a message to come and sing on your track

Lunesis

04 Feb 2015

I was looking for but didn't find a search option for usernames. Wonder if it's in the works? Sure there are a lot of qol features they have in store.

KEVMOVE02

04 Feb 2015

Leighbeater wrote:Once we are able to communicate with individual artist there it could good be good Example, you like the singer of a certain track so you send him/her a message to come and sing on your track
That will be the single best thing that could happen--connecting vocalists with musicians that result in a collaboration that couldn't happen any other way. The more I think about Discover, the more I am reminded of the file sharing services embedded in IOS Apps. iPolysix, iMPC and a few others have a version of SoundCloud that makes it easy to not only listen to other peoples music, but they have a Top Ten lists for each genre, so you know what's hot. You also get a glimpse into emerging sounds. I have high hopes for Discover.

jonheal

04 Feb 2015

I posted this elsewhere, and I am kind of surprised no one commented or called me an idiot for it, but I found Propellerhead verbiage indicating Discover is possibly the first step towards a music distribution service.

A la iTunes
A la CDBaby
A la etc.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

selig
RE Developer

04 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:I was looking for but didn't find a search option for usernames. Wonder if it's in the works? Sure there are a lot of qol features they have in store.
I found that to be a fairly glaring omission when I was trying to recreate Ryan's time sync video and needed to find the original file. The only way I ended up with it was by using Ryan's song which linked to the original file.
:frown:
Selig Audio, LLC

alex

04 Feb 2015

Lunesis wrote:I was looking for but didn't find a search option for usernames. Wonder if it's in the works? Sure there are a lot of qol features they have in store.
I had the same surpise.

Using the following google search hack (*) I was able to workaround the limitation:

Code: Select all

site:discover.propellerheads.se guessedusername

Just put it into the search bar and replace "guessedusername" with the one you're looking for. Simply put, it narrows down the search results to the "discover.propellerheads.se" domain.

Cheers

(*) I learned that trick on the Oreilly's Google's Hack book.
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:I posted this elsewhere, and I am kind of surprised no one commented or called me an idiot for it, but I found Propellerhead verbiage indicating Discover is possibly the first step towards a music distribution service.

A la iTunes
A la CDBaby
A la etc.
You're not an idiot for suggesting it as a possibility, but I think that the likelihood of that happening is about as remote as Propellerhead supporting VST's.  

But hey - stranger things have happened!  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

alex wrote:
I had the same surpise.

Using the following google search hack (*) I was able to workaround the limitation:

Code: Select all

site:discover.propellerheads.se guessedusername
alex wrote:

Just put it into the search bar and replace "guessedusername" with the one you're looking for. Simply put, it narrows down the search results to the "discover.propellerheads.se" domain.

Cheers

(*) I learned that trick on the Oreilly's Google's Hack book.
Hey - that's pretty cool!  Thanks for that tip.   :s0801:

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.8 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jonheal

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:I posted this elsewhere, and I am kind of surprised no one commented or called me an idiot for it, but I found Propellerhead verbiage indicating Discover is possibly the first step towards a music distribution service.

A la iTunes
A la CDBaby
A la etc.
EnochLight wrote:
You're not an idiot for suggesting it as a
EnochLight wrote:possibility
EnochLight wrote:, but I think that the likelihood of that happening is about as remote as Propellerhead supporting VST's.  

But hey - stranger things have happened!  
From Propellerhead's entry on ZoomInfo:

http://www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/prof ... id=profile

"This infinitely expandable instrument rack is another step on the way to fulfil the company statement but by no means the final word from Propellerhead Software. In fact, the up coming development of own distribution channels is our commitment to the future, and a sign that, in many ways, we have only just begun."

(My bolding and underlining)

jappe

04 Feb 2015

Leighbeater wrote:Once we are able to communicate with individual artist there it could good be good Example, you like the singer of a certain track so you send him/her a message to come and sing on your track
Agree.
IMO with that feature, then we have the minimum requirements for a usable service.

I guess a workaround is to tag the email address in the tune name for now?

I used reasonstation.net many years until it shut down because of spam(?), and if they can create such a great community and collaboration spirit, then the Prop's can do better.
And I think they will.

EDIT: @Lunesis: Search options...I searched for that too. Confuses me why they didn't implement that. Can't be that hard?

jonheal

04 Feb 2015

And I'll speculate wildly like some of the other nutty speculations you commonly find on these and former forums...

It would make sense to me if Discover morphed into a music distribution service. Reason has always been a closed ecosystem. Why not actually include the purchase and delivery of music created with Reason — all within the bounds of Propellerhead's closed and controlled universe? And of course there is the distribution fee ... :) Why give it to Apple, Amazon and CDBaby, etc.?

Janvier

04 Feb 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:Considering that Discover is still in beta, I think it still has a good chance of becoming a dynamic community of artists from all walks of life, freely exchanging ideas without fear.
I said many times that I don't like Discover. 

But, yes Im giving a chance to Props about this so yes Im trying it, but I don't think I will share excellent project on this. Only the crap I made which I know that I don't like !!

Also, I would not say "exchanging idea" but rather "exchanging material". To exchange idea there is a need of dialog. There is no fuckin' dialog in Discover. 

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:Why give it to Apple, Amazon and CDBaby, etc.?
Well, speaking from a musician who actually sells his wares through 2 out of the 3 you mentioned above, the answer would be:

Because that's where a large percentage of the world buys their music currently!   ;)  

If Props do start their own distribution, it would be close to worthless to me if they can't get my shit to iTunes and Amazon at least.

Janvier

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:
It would make sense to me if Discover morphed into a music distribution service. Reason has always been a closed ecosystem.
Reason is a close ecosystem... Discover is wide open ! Kind of paradox ! 

jonheal

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:Why give it to Apple, Amazon and CDBaby, etc.?
EnochLight wrote:
Well, speaking from a musician who actually sells his wares through 2 out of the 3 you mentioned above, the answer would be:
EnochLight wrote:Because that's where a large percentage of the world buys their music currently!
EnochLight wrote:   ;)  

If Props
EnochLight wrote: do
EnochLight wrote: start their own distribution, it would be close to worthless to me if they can't get my shit to iTunes and Amazon at least.
See, I told you I was an idiot. I don't sell music, so I forgot/neglected to think of those ... what do you call them ... aggregation services? That's what CDBaby is, correct?

jappe

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:And I'll speculate wildly like some of the other nutty speculations you commonly find on these and former forums...

It would make sense to me if Discover morphed into a music distribution service. Reason has always been a closed ecosystem. Why not actually include the purchase and delivery of music created with Reason — all within the bounds of Propellerhead's closed and controlled universe? And of course there is the distribution fee ... :) Why give it to Apple, Amazon and CDBaby, etc.?
Hmm...perhaps if the the Prop's could have some agreement to distribute through Spotify?
As a way to make the publishing step smaller for the possibly great masses that find it not easy enough to get their music on Spotify directly:

"
How to get your music to Spotify
Do you represent a label or aggregator that would like to have your content on Spotify?
The quickest way for a new label to get its music onto Spotify is to contact a record label or aggregator that already has an agreement and delivery process in place with Spotify. We have a complete list of aggregators we work with. At the moment we are unfortunately not in the position to enter into direct deals. If you are a label that manages your own digital business and have the capacity to deliver to us via a digital feed, the fastest and smoothest way is to, like thousands of labels and aggregators, to join the Merlin Network. This is like having a direct deal as you will deliver your content directly to us and also have direct contact when it comes to promotion etc. "

https://www.spotify.com/no/about-us/labels/

(perhaps that Merlin network is easy enough though)

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

jappe wrote:Hmm...perhaps if the the Prop's could have some agreement to distribute through Spotify?  As a way to make the publishing step smaller for the possibly great masses that find it not easy enough to get their music on Spotify directly
If they could work it to distribute not only through Spotify (which pays shit to indie artists such as myself) but also iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc - then I'd be all in.  They'd just have to offer transparent accounting reports like I get through my current distributor.  

I just can't see how they'd have the infrastructure or ability to partner with enough stores to make it a valuable service.  Currently, TuneCore distributes through all of these partners:

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.8 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

jonheal wrote:See, I told you I was an idiot. I don't sell music, so I forgot/neglected to think of those ... what do you call them ... aggregation services? That's what CDBaby is, correct?
Yeah, CD Baby is an aggregated distributor as well as store front.  But dude - you're not an idiot.

Me on the other hand...   :crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

jappe

04 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
jappe wrote:Hmm...perhaps if the the Prop's could have some agreement to distribute through Spotify?  As a way to make the publishing step smaller for the possibly great masses that find it not easy enough to get their music on Spotify directly
EnochLight wrote:
If they could work it to distribute not only through Spotify (which pays shit to indie artists such as myself) but also iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc - then I'd be all in.  They'd just have to offer transparent accounting reports like I get through my current distributor.  

I just can't see how they'd have the infrastructure or ability to partner with enough stores to make it a valuable service.  Currently, TuneCore distributes through all of these partners:
EnochLight wrote: 

I must admit I didn't know about the existence of Tunecore; but it was interesting to google up info about them.
Tunecore and Propellerheads actually have kind of similar webpage layout...hmm....:-)
http://www.tunecore.com/
https://www.propellerheads.se/

zeebot

04 Feb 2015

So what are we talking here? A kind of bandcampy beatporty type of situation catered towards reason users?
This still throws up lots of issues regarding usage of material.
I take a figure loop by figureuser354, take it into R8, add stuff to it then upload it to the 'distribution service' to be put up for sale on my own artist page.
I'd be pretty mad if I was figureuser354.
Lots and lots of issues to iron out with Discover. I'm just not feeling it myself.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

trimph1

04 Feb 2015

Is Take & Figure part of this Discover thing?

I'm just new to this one. :s0106:
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

EnochLight

04 Feb 2015

trimph1 wrote:Is Take & Figure part of this Discover thing?

I'm just new to this one. :s0106:
Yes.

Discover is Propellerhead's open contributory web resource of loops, songs, and "ideas" that people contribute to. Reason, Take, & Figure are all tools that are compatible with Discover. You can use all 3 to add content to Discover. Content from Discover - depending on its source - can be opened in the apps to further work on your (or someone else's) creation. Take & Reason can open anything from Discover. Figure can only open Figure content.

zakalwe

05 Feb 2015

I'm still scratching my head as to why they would bother.  i mean, they're not going to make their own Facebook or twitter because they need to enable communication between reason users, they'll just hook into the established networks and gain from their mass participation.  likewise, hooking into sound cloud or spotify or other direct publishing means would make more sense, especially if they could hook up a deal with spotify to publish for reason musicians without a label or the upfront fee structure.

Heater

05 Feb 2015

Just a quick question.

If you get use different clips from different folks and produce a world wide hit.  How would the royalties work?

• Information