Importing audio clip to match tempo - I'm missing something.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kitekrazy

03 Feb 2015

I want to use a loop in Reason but for some reason it won't match the project tempo.  A 4 or 8 bar loop comes up short.  If I change the tempo of the project to match the tempo of the loop all is well. I saw on a video using CTRL+ALT will do this but it doesn't. 

What am I doing wrong?

EnochLight

03 Feb 2015

kitekrazy wrote:  I want to use a loop in Reason but for some reason it won't match the project tempo.  A 4 or 8 bar loop comes up short.  If I change the tempo of the project to match the tempo of the loop all is well. I saw on a video using CTRL+ALT will do this but it doesn't. 

What am I doing wrong?
Do you have disable stretch activated on that loop for some reason?

Sounds like you're trying to import a loop that doesn't have any tempo data in the file, correct?  If so, there's a few methods you can utilize to determine the loop's correct tempo.  Here's one in this video (skip forward to 2:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at33phHJOcA#t=151

In the example, an audio clip that was recorded via Take is being used, but this method applies to any audio you import into Reason.

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

03 Feb 2015

If I understand your post correctly, you've got a 4 or 8 bar loop that is at a known tempo... say 128BPM and you're importing it into reason but it's not the right tempo. This is often the case with stuff like Vengeance Sample packs - or any sample pack for that matter.

You've got two solutions...

1.) If you know the tempo of the sample, just set Reason to that tempo temporarily before importing, then set it back after importing and your clips will stay in time with your new tempo.

2.) If you don't know the tempo of the sample but you know the length of the clip, say for example it's a 4 bar loop. Then import it into Reason. It'll come up short, as you describe (or long for that matter), and hold down the option key and click the right (or left) edge of the clip to resize it to the right length. Holding down option will time-stretch it to your tempo. So if your song is 117BPM and your sample is 130PM it'll be shorter than 4 bars. Just option drag it to 4 bars long (with snap on for super ease) and it'll be the right length and the right tempo.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

03 Feb 2015

Just to follow up on EnochLight... I wouldn't suggest that video's method for a 4-8 bar loop. That's overkill.

And I'm not knocking that video... after all I MADE that video! :) But it's not the right tool for a short loop.

EnochLight

03 Feb 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Just to follow up on EnochLight... I wouldn't suggest that video's method for a 4-8 bar loop. That's overkill.

And I'm not knocking that video... after all I MADE that video! :) But it's not the right tool for a short loop.
D'oh!  Yeah I didn't catch the 4-8 bar loop part.  My bad.   :crazy:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy

03 Feb 2015

ryanharlin wrote:If I understand your post correctly, you've got a 4 or 8 bar loop that is at a known tempo... say 128BPM and you're importing it into reason but it's not the right tempo. This is often the case with stuff like Vengeance Sample packs - or any sample pack for that matter.

You've got two solutions...

1.) If you know the tempo of the sample, just set Reason to that tempo temporarily before importing, then set it back after importing and your clips will stay in time with your new tempo.

2.) If you don't know the tempo of the sample but you know the length of the clip, say for example it's a 4 bar loop. Then import it into Reason. It'll come up short, as you describe (or long for that matter), and hold down the option key and click the right (or left) edge of the clip to resize it to the right length. Holding down option will time-stretch it to your tempo. So if your song is 117BPM and your sample is 130PM it'll be shorter than 4 bars. Just option drag it to 4 bars long (with snap on for super ease) and it'll be the right length and the right tempo.
 I've done it that way but I did not realize changing a tempo would fit the clip back to tempo. Thanks!
I was using loops that have the tempo labeled. Maybe they don't Acidize loops anymore. Reason couldn't detect the tempo while Sonar, Live and FL Studio could.  Tracktion was worse at guessing.

Thanks again!

kitekrazy

03 Feb 2015

ryanharlin wrote:Just to follow up on EnochLight... I wouldn't suggest that video's method for a 4-8 bar loop. That's overkill.

Ah but it was worth my time watching. I learned something. I hope I never have to deal with that.

Theo.M

05 Feb 2015

kitekrazy wrote:  I've done it that way but I did not realize changing a tempo would fit the clip back to tempo. Thanks!
I was using loops that have the tempo labeled. Maybe they don't Acidize loops anymore. Reason couldn't detect the tempo while Sonar, Live and FL Studio could.  Tracktion was worse at guessing.

Thanks again!
Reason doesn't have any sort of automatic tempo guessing whatsoever for any kind of audio loop in the arrange page, not even their own REX format!

There is no tempo sync in the browser preview, nor automatic match on project insert either. It is very behind in this area.

The methods outlined are correct. If you know the tempo of the loop just change the project to that tempo momentarily on import then back to your project tempo as *every* audio file is imported with stretch enabled, but stretch assumes that the clip is already at it's correct tempo on import unfortunately. So you need to do the process above or alt resize. 

Reason also handles audio data on stretch disabled parts completely different to any other DAW.. i.e it cuts or extends the data so you need to manually resize it if you are using the  stretch disabled/set correct tempo/bounce to new recordings/stretch enabled/go back to project tempo method.

It takes a bit of getting used to IMO.

• Information