Glitch in Saving Patches?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Puniho

03 Feb 2015

I have been experiencing a problem when saving patches that are modified versions being saved overwriting existing ones. Usually the modified patch gets saved no problem but more and more recently it saves it as a copy with the exact same name. So in a folder of some 20 patches I have about 3 with duplicates. This is annoying as I tend to hone my patches until I am happy with them and give them working titles with version numbers etc. Now I am confused over which is the updated version as both often have the same date stamp on them.

Any ideas?

rcbuse
RE Developer

03 Feb 2015

Not sure I fully understand.  So say you have a patch, Synth_006, You tweak is and save it as Synth_007.  Are you saying that its overwriting Synth_006 while saving Synth_007?

Puniho

04 Feb 2015

I mean that I have made and saved a patch Synth-06 and then I decide to tweak it. I then save the updated patch and usually it prompts me as to wether to overwrite the original Synth-06, however, lately it sometimes saves it as another file labeled Synth-06 . So now I have two patches both called Synth-06 - the original one and another different one with the exact same name.

Hope that makes sense!

Kategra

04 Feb 2015

Puniho wrote:I mean that I have made and saved a patch Synth-06 and then I decide to tweak it. I then save the updated patch and usually it prompts me as to wether to overwrite the original Synth-06, however, lately it sometimes saves it as another file labeled Synth-06 . So now I have two patches both called Synth-06 - the original one and another different one with the exact same name. Hope that makes sense!
It seems like you are saving the updated synth patch to a different folder. This creates another file. You have to save in the same folder where you have the original patch in order to overwrite it. With most operating systems, you can't have more than one file with the same name in one folder.

Noise
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2015

You can't have two files with the same name in the the same folder! It's the extension of the file, the same ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Puniho

04 Feb 2015

Heh heh! I'm not that silly! ;) I just rebooted my computer and most of the spurious files have disappeared, however there still remains two files with identical names - I checked the spacing etc - in teh same folder. I also checked and they are indeed different versions of the patch. It is very strange and I've never experienced anything like it before. I know when it has happened as I dont get the prompt to "save as" when I hit save.

Puniho

04 Feb 2015

Attachments
Saved_Files.jpg
Saved_Files.jpg (406.27 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

ScuzzyEye

04 Feb 2015

It may be nothing, but you might want to check your drive for errors.

Right click on the drive icon, and pick Properties. In that dialog go to the Tools, and click the Check button. If it is the C: drive, it'll probably tell you that the check will be performed on the next boot. If so, reboot your computer now.

rcbuse
RE Developer

04 Feb 2015

I would think you either have some disk corruption, or your "Good Stuff" directory is really a Windows Library and you are saving to multiple places.

Puniho

04 Feb 2015

I will check that out. 
Cheers

kloeckno

04 Feb 2015

rcbuse wrote:I would think you either have some disk corruption, or your "Good Stuff" directory is really a Windows Library and you are saving to multiple places.
Yeah, that sounds likely. Try right-clicking on those patches and going to properties for both to see the actual location of the two identical patches. But the fact that the other files disappeared is rather strange...

Puniho

04 Feb 2015

I ran a disc check which seemed ok. Also looked at properties of the files and they would appear to have identical properties. The time created differs by a few minutes, and they are in fact two different tweaked versions of the same patch. Normally I would overwrite the first file with the updated tweaked one, but on these rare occasions I dont get that option and end up with this confusion.

I am not sure about this windows libraries thing. How is the best way to manage saved files for Reason?

ScuzzyEye

04 Feb 2015

In Windows, Libraries are a special type of folder that contains multiple folders. When viewing a library from the file open/save dialog, it looks like a regular folder, but there is the possibility of files from the multiple combined folders having the same name.

If you open the file Explorer, and keep hitting the up arrow, until you reach the highest level, you'll see Libraries is one of the items at the top.  Go into the folder, and you'll see your collection of libraries. Is "Good Stuff" there? If it is, you can right click on it, and in the Properties you can see what folders actually make it up.

I'm not sure of the exact rules when you save a file into a library folder. It probably just drops it in the first one in that list. If you've opened a patch from one of the other contributing folders, and tried to save to back to the library, it's very likely that it could end up in a different place.

I'm picky about how my files are organized, and don't mind doing everything by hand. I never save things into libraries, and only use the ones built into Windows to occasionally open things. Mostly I know where I want to put a file, and know where to find it when I want it again. The additional layer of indirection caused by libraries doesn't help me at all.

Puniho

05 Feb 2015

Well, the Good Stuff folder is nested within other folders and I guess that they do indeed belong to a library.  Not sure what I can do to reorganise it now, the last time I attempted to reorganise none of my tracks would open properly and everything went pear shaped.

• Information