2nd Prediction on Propellerhead Software

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:As well as the browser, PH are constantly working on the RE SDK. It's something YOU can't see immediately, but it's necessary work that will result in more things to see in the future.

Sometimes good work goes without merit and isn't appreciated until it's taken away.
Indeed.

I often forget this.  I can only imagine the huge undertaking that must have went underway just to create the RE infrastructure and continually nurse the RE SDK.  It's an entirely different product that must be developed in tandem with Reason, while at the same time doesn't visibly appear to the end user as a separate product.

I sometimes wish that Balance wasn't cancelled and they stayed in the hardware game, but having to choose between the two: I am soooo glad that RE's appeared.  

But I digress...  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:However, I can also surmise that fixing many small things in the sequencer would not be as huge an undertaking and could be done with relative ease. AND it would go a long way to creating some buzz and positive marketing too.
Very true, there are lots of little fixes they could make that would create far more value and people would be more willing to pay for. Balance between taking orders and being independent is key.

Reason101 wrote:But all of this is neither here nor there. I'm sorry, but it makes zero difference how hard a task it is or how much work it took to come up with what you see in the R8 upgrade. What matters is what the User receives for their money (the value to the customer of the final product). For example, it could take me 10 years to create a song that is still shit and sells for zero dollars, but someone else can bang out a track in an hour and make millions from it. Quantity of time does not necessarily translate to Quality of the end deliverable. If that were the case, I'd be rich by now.
That's true from the perspective of marketability, but does not justify chastisement of their less marketable efforts.

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote:As well as the browser, PH are constantly working on the RE SDK. It's something YOU can't see immediately, but it's necessary work that will result in more things to see in the future.

Sometimes good work goes without merit and isn't appreciated until it's taken away.
EnochLight wrote:
Indeed.

I often forget this.  I can only imagine the huge undertaking that must have went underway just to create the RE infrastructure and continually nurse the RE SDK.  It's an entirely different product that must be developed in tandem with Reason, while at the same time doesn't visibly appear to the end user as a separate product.

I sometimes wish that Balance wasn't cancelled and they stayed in the hardware game, but having to choose between the two: I am soooo glad that RE's appeared.  

But I digress...  
I'm a customer. How hard it is for YOU to make your product is not my concern. What your product does to add value to my life is what I am concerned about. How can I use your tools to make music. Nothing more. Nothing less.

When you purchase a car, are you thinking about how hard it was for the car company to run safety tests? How hard it was for the manufacturers to put everything together? Do you think about all that goes into the ABS breaks and the thought behind the programming in the computer? Are you willing to "give them a pass" because they had a rough year last year? Or do you go shopping and pick the best car that will fit with your lifestyle? Do you pick the car that performs best and is top-rated?

Is that cold? Perhaps. But it's how most people make their purchasing decisions.
RobReason Book: Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason RackReason Site: http://www.Reason101.netSoundCloudhttp://www.soundcloud.com/phi-sequence Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/robanselmi

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:That R4 synth was Thor, which provided a massive amount of possibilities, both audio and CV-wise. It was a major game changer, just as much as the Combinator was in 3.0. The point is just look at what the Props got us used to with their upgrades. at least a few new devices (even 7.0 gave us Synchronous), AND at lease one major improvement since 5.0. Yes, if you owned Record, you already had recording, but I forgive them this mistake. Record was a blunder. I'm not heartless. You're allowed a mistake now and then.
I also never brought up any point releases. I don't include 6.5. - aside from REs, I didn't think this was much of a release either. But 4, 5, and 6 were solid releases. Even 7 was pretty solid, with what you said above (MIDI Out), Audio slicing, mix bus routing, and Synchronous. Please don't tell me the Spectrum EQ was awesome. It's ok. But hardly a serious Spectrum Analyzer. Not by a long shot. And then 8? oy.
Sure, R4's Thor was a game changer for Reasoners, as was the Combi in R3, but both were needed at the time since the options available in VST-land were pretty diverse.  

Kind of like drag and drop and the sequencer MIDI changes - it needed to happen in Reason, as it's been around in other DAW's forever.   ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Reason 3 - I can remember a shitstorm occurring on the forums over "just the Combinator".  Admittedly, many didn't understand its power at the time, but the complainers were there.  And as for R7's spectral EQ?  Yeah - I think it's bad ass.  It forced me - or rather - allowed me - to use the SSL's eq finally from a modern click/drag-visual display interface.  Prior to R7's spectral EQ, I hardly ever used the SSL's eq functions.  Obviously, YMMV.  

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

avasopht wrote: That's true from the perspective of marketability, but does not justify chastisement of their less marketable efforts.
I'm not chastising any of their efforts. I'm analyzing their final product. And I feel that the browser alone (and drag and drop -- incidentally you could drag and drop files directly into reason previous to 8.0) does not justify the upgrade cost. Simple as that. I'm also comparing 8.0 to past upgrades.
RobReason Book: Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason RackReason Site: http://www.Reason101.netSoundCloudhttp://www.soundcloud.com/phi-sequence Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/robanselmi

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:I'm a customer. How hard it is for YOU to make your product is not my concern. What your product does to add value to my life is what I am concerned about. How can I use your tools to make music. Nothing more. Nothing less.

When you purchase a car, are you thinking about how hard it was for the car company to run safety tests? How hard it was for the manufacturers to put everything together? Do you think about all that goes into the ABS breaks and the thought behind the programming in the computer? Are you willing to "give them a pass" because they had a rough year last year? Or do you go shopping and pick the best car that will fit with your lifestyle? Do you pick the car that performs best and is top-rated?

Is that cold? Perhaps. But it's how most people make their purchasing decisions.
If said automaker's company was only comprised of a few dozen people, from manufacturing to the sales floor, hand-built, and the cars presented a unique and fundamentally different approach to my driving experience that cannot be replicated by any other manufacturer, then I'd say I have something special on my hands that deserves a more critical look.  My relationship with said hypothetical company would certainly be different to keep me coming back for more.

I don't doubt how you describe is how most people make their purchasing decisions.  But like all good consumers, one must take into consideration all factors before plopping down your hard earned cash for a product.  If our hypothetical car company released a model or two that didn't impress me, I certainly wouldn't think it signals the end times.  I'd wait a model or two and see if something new comes out that ups their game.

It would appear some are taking that approach with Propellerhead and Reason.  I encourage them to do so!  Meanwhile, I'll be dragging and dropping my samples and get along with my productions quite happily.  

forensickbeats

05 Feb 2015

Reason is pretty much the bomb the way it is already, so I don`t have extremely huge expectations of life changing innovations in the versions to come. There is only so much that you can make with virtual music devices.

The new browser is a good idea, should have been included long ago.

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:That R4 synth was Thor, which provided a massive amount of possibilities, both audio and CV-wise. It was a major game changer, just as much as the Combinator was in 3.0. The point is just look at what the Props got us used to with their upgrades. at least a few new devices (even 7.0 gave us Synchronous), AND at lease one major improvement since 5.0. Yes, if you owned Record, you already had recording, but I forgive them this mistake. Record was a blunder. I'm not heartless. You're allowed a mistake now and then.
I also never brought up any point releases. I don't include 6.5. - aside from REs, I didn't think this was much of a release either. But 4, 5, and 6 were solid releases. Even 7 was pretty solid, with what you said above (MIDI Out), Audio slicing, mix bus routing, and Synchronous. Please don't tell me the Spectrum EQ was awesome. It's ok. But hardly a serious Spectrum Analyzer. Not by a long shot. And then 8? oy.
EnochLight wrote:
Sure, R4's Thor was a game changer for Reasoners, as was the Combi in R3, but both were
EnochLight wrote:needed
EnochLight wrote: at the time since the options available in VST-land were pretty diverse.  

Kind of like drag and drop and the sequencer MIDI changes - it
EnochLight wrote: to happen in Reason, as it's been around in other DAW's forever.   ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Reason 3 - I can remember a shitstorm occurring on the forums over "just the Combinator".  Admittedly, many didn't understand its power at the time, but the complainers were there.  And as for R7's spectral EQ?  Yeah - I think it's bad ass.  It forced me - or rather -
EnochLight wrote:allowed me
EnochLight wrote: - to use the SSL's eq finally from a modern click/drag-visual display interface.  Prior to R7's spectral EQ, I hardly ever used the SSL's eq functions.  Obviously, YMMV.  

As to the Combinator, you're right. There was a shit-storm. But I highly doubt people are going to look back in 3 years and say the browser update was on par with the Combinator. That would be highly laughable.

As for the Spectral EQ, try reverse engineering an audio sample taken from any analog modular synth and attempt to recreate it using Thor. With a high quality Spectrum Analyzer, you can use it as a tool to aide you in doing just that. You could reverse engineer any sound from anywhere, and get pretty close to recreating it inside Reason. What you have right now in Reason is a visual toy. May as well use the Windows Media Player visualizations to figure out your EQ. pffft.

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote: It forced me - or rather - allowed me - to use the SSL's eq finally from a modern click/drag-visual display interface.  Prior to R7's spectral EQ, I hardly ever used the SSL's eq functions.
[RANT MODE: ON]

Which is sad to me in a way, that one of the worlds best general purpose EQs only gets "love" when you dress it up all nice and pretty.  ;(

I will suggest that for folks like you, you try to NOT use the spectral interface whenever possible, using your ears instead. Don't get me wrong, I use the spectral interface often - but typically only when I hear something that I can't easily identify by ear. It's also a great "exercise" to try to guess what you're hearing before you look at the spectrum (ear training for EQ!).

But I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I've seen folks create a very nice looking EQ curve on screen, only to turn off the screen and start listening and realize they totally missed the mark (but damn, that curve looked sexy!). I even find myself trying to adjust the EQ so it LOOKS "right", at which point my ears aren't even engaged. I have to stop myself and shut the spectrum display off and start over when that happens!

Every engineer has been fooled turning a knob that didn't actually do anything - we can be fooled because we "hear" what we "see", and what we see tells us what we should hear. A smooth looking EQ curve "sounds" smooth, even if it doesn't sound smooth. That's also why I don't let folks watch the screen when I play back an edit - if they see it, they will hear it 90% of the time!   ;)

I've also done the opposite, EQ'ed something without looking, only to turn on the spectrum and say "that can't be right" because it doesn't look 'right'. BUT, it still sounds just as great as before, so I've learned to ignore how things look and focus on how they sound - which is very difficult when you're looking at a beautiful and colorful display. 

One of my favorite plugins ever made was made by Massy Plugins (Stephen Massey used to work for Digidesign and others). The plugin was called "Listen", and consisted ONLY of a blank window which filled your entire screen, forcing you to (you guessed it) LISTEN!!!

/rant, sorry for going off folks!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Sure, R4's Thor was a game changer for Reasoners, as was the Combi in R3, but both were
EnochLight wrote: at the time since the options available in VST-land were pretty diverse.  

Kind of like drag and drop and the sequencer MIDI changes - it
EnochLight wrote: to happen in Reason, as it's been around in other DAW's forever.   ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Reason 3 - I can remember a shitstorm occurring on the forums over "just the Combinator".  Admittedly, many didn't understand its power at the time, but the complainers were there.  And as for R7's spectral EQ?  Yeah - I think it's bad ass.  It forced me - or rather -
EnochLight wrote:allowed me
EnochLight wrote: - to use the SSL's eq finally from a modern click/drag-visual display interface.  Prior to R7's spectral EQ, I hardly ever used the SSL's eq functions.  Obviously, YMMV.  

Reason101 wrote:
As to the Combinator, you're right. There was a shit-storm. But I highly doubt people are going to look back in 3 years and say the browser update was on par with the Combinator. That would be highly laughable.

As for the Spectral EQ, try reverse engineering an audio sample taken from any analog modular synth and attempt to recreate it using Thor. With a high quality Spectrum Analyzer, you can use it as a tool to aide you in doing just that. You could reverse engineer any sound from anywhere, and get pretty close to recreating it inside Reason. What you have right now in Reason is a visual toy. May as well use the Windows Media Player visualizations to figure out your EQ. pffft.
+1   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:As to the Combinator, you're right. There was a shit-storm. But I highly doubt people are going to look back in 3 years and say the browser update was on par with the Combinator. That would be highly laughable. 
On par?  Perhaps not.  But work in version 8's browser with samples for the next few months exclusively, and then try and go back to any previous version's browser.   I guarantee you that you'll want to pull your hair out.  I did, anyway.
Reason101 wrote:As for the Spectral EQ, try reverse engineering an audio sample taken from any analog modular synth and attempt to recreate it using Thor. With a high quality Spectrum Analyzer, you can use it as a tool to aide you in doing just that. You could reverse engineer any sound from anywhere, and get pretty close to recreating it inside Reason. What you have right now in Reason is a visual toy. May as well use the Windows Media Player visualizations to figure out your EQ. pffft.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  While it's clearly not on par with something more specialized, as an aid - it's very usable.  As for it being a toy - isn't that what all DAW's are?  The moment I stop having fun with them, is the moment I need to get different toys.  

selig wrote:[RANT MODE: ON]

Which is sad to me in a way, that one of the worlds best general purpose EQs only gets "love" when you dress it up all nice and pretty.  ;(

I will suggest that for folks like you, you try to NOT use the spectral interface whenever possible, using your ears instead. Don't get me wrong, I use the spectral interface often - but typically only when I hear something that I can't easily identify by ear. It's also a great "exercise" to try to guess what you're hearing before you look at the spectrum (ear training for EQ!).
This is how I typically use it as well.   ;)   To be clear (and I think I mentioned this to you directly back when R7 was announced and we were having a similar discussion) I'm a very visual person.  While turning and twisting knobs are nice, when R7's spectral display appeared and allowed me to control the same knobs by clicking and dragging on a virtual screen in their relative band areas, it helped me massively.
As you've spent your entire career behind a mixing console and are very comfortable with the SSL's EQ knobs, it was sort of new thing for me.  I never quite grew used to them.  R7's spectral EQ and control through it changed that for me.
Attachments
you're_holding_it_wrong.jpg
you're_holding_it_wrong.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote: This is how I typically use it as well.   ;)   To be clear (and I think I mentioned this to you directly back when R7 was announced and we were having a similar discussion) I'm a very visual person.  While turning and twisting knobs are nice, when R7's spectral display appeared and allowed me to control the same knobs by clicking and dragging on a virtual screen in their relative band areas, it helped me massively.
As you've spent your entire career behind a mixing console and are very comfortable with the SSL's EQ knobs, it was sort of new thing for me.  I never quite grew used to them.  R7's spectral EQ and control through it changed that for me.
Fair points all around.

But I'm visual as well, and if the knobs didn't actually move when I turned them I'd be dead in the water! ;)

I can see you in a future when synths don't have knobs, saying similar things as I am to the 'kids' of the day!!!

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

The Waves Spectrum Analyzer (top end example) and Reason's Spectrum EQ are both analyzers, and both are fun to use. But when it comes time to delve more deeply and seriously into your audio, there's only one that is up to the job. And honestly, which one would you rather play with?

Perhaps another analogy is needed: One is a Mustang, and the other is a Prius. Sure, you can drive both, and they'll both get you from A to B. But which one would you rather take out on the road?

Even the above analogy is too generous, since, like I said, you just can't reverse engineer or reconstruct sounds using Reason's Spectrum EQ. Just can't. Sorry. So it's more akin to a sputtering jalopy, which most times just can't get you where you want to go.

In so many respects, Reason's audio architecture and quality are exceptional. Devices are simply awesome. But in so many other respects, I'm continually let down by half-arsed answers to what's missing in the program (and indeed, in those core devices as well).

This is all nothing new. I've said this in various ways in various places since I started using Reason back in version 3.0

And one more thing: I agree that all DAWs and all musical instruments can be fun, and can be seen in terms of "toys" - but that just means that everything out there is a "toy" and can be used for fun. So I'd rather have the top end "toys" than the lower end ones. I'd rather play a Juno or Prophet than a Casio or Radio Shack Special. They're all toys. But some toys are just built better than others. ;-)

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:The Waves Spectrum Analyzer (top end example) and Reason's Spectrum EQ are both analyzers, and both are fun to use. But when it comes time to delve more deeply and seriously into your audio, there's only one that is up to the job. And honestly, which one would you rather play with?

Perhaps another analogy is needed: One is a Mustang, and the other is a Prius. Sure, you can drive both, and they'll both get you from A to B. But which one would you rather take out on the road?

Even the above analogy is too generous, since, like I said, you just can't reverse engineer or reconstruct sounds using Reason's Spectrum EQ. Just can't. Sorry. So it's more akin to a sputtering jalopy, which most times just can't get you where you want to go.

In so many respects, Reason's audio architecture and quality are exceptional. Devices are simply awesome. But in so many other respects, I'm continually let down by half-arsed answers to what's missing in the program (and indeed, in those core devices as well).

This is all nothing new. I've said this in various ways in various places since I started using Reason back in version 3.0
Waves PAZ is $150 USD alone, more than the cost of an entire typical Reason upgrade.  I wouldn't expect Reason's spectral EQ interface for the mixer to be even remotely close to PAZ in features, but I'm afraid you're still selling the worth of Reason's analyzer short.

As a mixing aid, it's still quite useful at helping visualize problem frequencies.  Sorry.  Would I use it to help analyze and model another synth?  Nope - but that's not what it's really designed for, is it?

Rob, your entire site is devoted to helping people learn Reason and master its features creatively.  Perhaps you should consider pushing Reason's spectral display and create some tutorials on how people can utilize it?  I'm not suggesting it's a replacement for something like PAZ, but discounting its usefulness seems to be a missed opportunity.
selig wrote: can see you in a future when synths don't have knobs, saying similar things as I am to the 'kids' of the day!!!
;)
When I'm not busy doing this:   ;)

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote: Waves PAZ is $150 USD alone, more than the cost of an entire typical Reason upgrade.  I wouldn't expect Reason's spectral EQ interface for the mixer to be even remotely close to PAZ in features, but I'm afraid you're still selling the worth of Reason's analyzer short.
Why? Why wouldn't I expect Reason to be every bit as good, if not better than anything out there. THAT is the Props selling Reason short. Not me selling what they've created short. And how much is a full-blown SSL hardware mixer? How much does that cost? That's hardly an argument that holds water.
EnochLight wrote:As a mixing aid, it's still quite useful at helping visualize problem frequencies.  Sorry.  Would I use it to help analyze and model another synth?  Nope - but that's not what it's really designed for, is it?
I never said I would use it to model another synth. I do expect to use a spectrum analyzer to analyze other sounds though, and specifically to reverse engineer audio. That's what the good ones excel at.
EnochLight wrote:Rob, your entire site is devoted to helping people learn Reason and master its features creatively.  Perhaps you should consider pushing Reason's spectral display and create some tutorials on how people can utilize it?  I'm not suggesting it's a replacement for something like PAZ, but discounting its usefulness seems to be a missed opportunity.
I create tutorials that I find interesting, or that delve deeper than just the basics. At least that's what I hope I do. I don't find their Spectrum EQ all that useful, advanced, nor interesting. So it's not something I would really want to showcase. If Reason builds something worthwhile to write about, then I will. Like Chenille, or Thor, for example. But there's nothing preventing you from writing about it. It really turns your crank, so please, let's hear why you love it so much. I'll be the first to read it too. :s0826:

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
When I'm not busy doing this:   ;)

That's F'in awesome, where the F did this come from (a movie)?
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:That's F'in awesome, where the F did this come from (a movie)?
Heheh, I think it was from an old TV sitcom called "Corner Gas".  The show wasn't that good, but there was an entire episode called "Get the F Off My Lawn".  

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:Why? Why wouldn't I expect Reason to be every bit as good, if not better than anything out there. THAT is the Props selling Reason short. Not me selling what they've created short. And how much is a full-blown SSL hardware mixer? How much does that cost? That's hardly an argument that holds water.
You're comparing a specialized $150 plugin whose main purpose is to:
  • Position, Frequency and Meter components
  • Real-time vector display with zoom
  • Peak or RMS frequency analysis modes
  • L/R peak and RMS displays, with individually re-settable peak hold values
  • Optional resolution in 10Hz steps for precise analysis below 250Hz52 or 68 band analysis
It's designed to analyze all and any sound, and is exactly the tool one would use to reverse engineer audio.  Reason's spectral EQ display was an additional "feature" included in a $129 upgrade which also included a myriad of other features, is not made for that, and does hold water if we are comparing the two, IMHO.  Reason's spectral EQ display is meant for:

• a graphical front end to the EQ that's built into every channel of Reason's mixer
  • Graphically superimposes an EQ curve
  • Gives you handles to manipulate it on top of a real-time analyser
  • The analyser's 'graph' is pre-fader but post-EQ, so it confirms the results of your EQ cuts, boosts and filters as you work
  • The window can automatically show the EQ state for your currently selected track, or be set manually to stick with just one
In other words, the two seemed designed for two very different purposes in mind.  That you expect Reason's spectrum display to offer the same or better features as a single plugin that sells for more than an entire Reason upgrade seems strange to me.
Reason101 wrote:I never said I would use it to model another synth. I do expect to use a spectrum analyzer to analyze other sounds though, and specifically to reverse engineer audio. That's what the good ones excel at.
I must have misunderstood this statement:

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... stcount=83
Reason101 wrote:As for the Spectral EQ, try reverse engineering an audio sample taken from any analog modular synth and attempt to recreate it using Thor
Again, it would seem that PAZ would be great for something like that.  There's just not enough information displayed in Reason's spectral display to effectively dice apart audio like that, which is why I feel the comparison isn't fair (for the reasons I indicated above).
Reason101 wrote:I create tutorials that I find interesting, or that delve deeper than just the basics. At least that's what I hope I do. I don't find their Spectrum EQ all that useful, advanced, nor interesting. So it's not something I would really want to showcase. If Reason builds something worthwhile to write about, then I will. Like Chenille, or Thor, for example. But there's nothing preventing you from writing about it. It really turns your crank, so please, let's hear why you love it so much. I'll be the first to read it too. :s0826:
Oh no doubt, I was just suggesting the idea as you may find it useful in the context that I described above.  As far as me doing tutorials, yeah... that's not my bag.  I'm great as a consumer of media, but writing or making videos is not something I've ever had a gift for.  

Cheers Rob!   :s0826:

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
You're comparing a specialized $150 plugin whose main purpose is to:
  • Position, Frequency and Meter components
  • Real-time vector display with zoom
  • Peak or RMS frequency analysis modes
  • L/R peak and RMS displays, with individually re-settable peak hold values
  • Optional resolution in 10Hz steps for precise analysis below 250Hz52 or 68 band analysis
It's designed to analyze all and any sound, and is exactly the tool one would use to reverse engineer audio.  Reason's spectral EQ display was an additional "feature" included in a $129 upgrade which also included a myriad of other features, is not made for that, and does hold water if we are comparing the two, IMHO.  Reason's spectral EQ display is meant for:

• a graphical front end to the EQ that's built into every channel of Reason's mixer
  • Graphically superimposes an EQ curve
  • Gives you handles to manipulate it on top of a real-time analyser
  • The analyser's 'graph' is pre-fader but post-EQ, so it confirms the results of your EQ cuts, boosts and filters as you work
  • The window can automatically show the EQ state for your currently selected track, or be set manually to stick with just one
In other words, the two seemed designed for two very different purposes in mind.  That you expect Reason's spectrum display to offer the same or better features as a single plugin that sells for more than an entire Reason upgrade seems strange to me.
I'm not comparing those two. I'm saying that Props should have developed something even better than Waves. Heck, sell it as a RE if you want. But I know they can't possibly do it anyway, given constraints on what can be currently done in the Reason environment. Again, I'm the consumer. I know what I want. And I'm not alone. Many others want this as well.

I fail to see what's so strange about asking for something similar to a $150 plugin, when Version 5 gave us the SSL Mixer. As I said, go check on those prices, since your argument is all about price comparisons (something you brought up, not me -- I was sticking with a "Quality" argument).
Reason101 wrote:I never said I would use it to model another synth. I do expect to use a spectrum analyzer to analyze other sounds though, and specifically to reverse engineer audio. That's what the good ones excel at.
EnochLight wrote:
I must have misunderstood this statement:
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... stcount=83
EnochLight wrote:
You did. I said: "As for the Spectral EQ, try reverse engineering an audio sample taken from any analog modular synth and attempt to recreate it using Thor. With a high quality Spectrum Analyzer, you can use it as a tool to aide you in doing just that."

The "It" refers to the subject of the sentence, which is an "audio sample" not the "analog modular synth," ergo, I'm trying to recreate an audio sample, not a whole synth. But I could see the confusion. Anyway, just wanted to clarify.
Reason101 wrote:I create tutorials that I find interesting, or that delve deeper than just the basics. At least that's what I hope I do. I don't find their Spectrum EQ all that useful, advanced, nor interesting. So it's not something I would really want to showcase. If Reason builds something worthwhile to write about, then I will. Like Chenille, or Thor, for example. But there's nothing preventing you from writing about it. It really turns your crank, so please, let's hear why you love it so much. I'll be the first to read it too. :s0826:
Oh no doubt, I was just suggesting the idea as you may find it useful in the context that I described above.  As far as me doing tutorials, yeah... that's not my bag.  I'm great as a consumer of media, but writing or making videos is not something I've ever had a gift for.  

Cheers Rob!   :s0826:

You should try it some time. Especially since you are so passionate about the Spectrum EQ from Reason. I would love to be proven wrong. Please show me what can be achieved with the Spectrum EQ.

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:You should try it some time. Especially since you are so passionate about the Spectrum EQ from Reason. I would love to be proven wrong. Please show me what can be achieved with the Spectrum EQ.
Matt has you covered!   :t2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsN8LV-TUGc

Reason101

05 Feb 2015

Why say in 7 minutes what can be said in a single image? From my book (http://www.reason101.net/shop):

Now can we get back to more important discussions, like where the future of Reason is headed?
Attachments
Spectrum_EQ.jpg
Spectrum_EQ.jpg (590.84 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

EpiGenetik

05 Feb 2015

ambeant wrote:
The first prediction already appeared that PH is only focused on the current lucrative mobile toys fad and the trendy subcultures instead of also refining the tools for serious seasoned producers releasing professionally competitive releases.

......or taking the long view, you could see Take, Figure, and Discover as marketing tools for Reason. They are really just an economically sound add-on for Reason, if you have an urge to tinker with s rhythmic device or do a quick vocal sketch on the bus/train/shoe leather to work then you can do it, and not lose the inspired moment. Later on you transfer this into Reason via Discover, and voila! 

The mobile toys can't do enough to be taken seriously, but they CAN add something crucial to your Reason rack - immediacy.

zakalwe

05 Feb 2015

speaking of EQs with analysers i was kind of want this for a while

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... equalizer/

it's $99 but then this for twice the cash...

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q ... er-plug-in

and suddenly i don't want so much.

basically i've seen the future and i can't afford it.

^I'm reaper.  spare 50p for the bus mister?

kitekrazy

05 Feb 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Indeed.

EnochLight wrote:I sometimes wish that Balance wasn't cancelled and they stayed in the hardware game, but having to choose between the two: I am soooo glad that RE's appeared.  
EnochLight wrote:
But I digress...  
Usually the biggest mistake is to buy hardware with the label of a software developer.

EnochLight

05 Feb 2015

Reason101 wrote:Why say in 7 minutes what can be said in a single image? From my book (http://www.reason101.net/shop):
"The only gripe"?  Are you sure you don't want to add to that?   ;)

Attachments
2204815.jpg
2204815.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1593 times

• Information