Serious question: switch from NNXT to NN19 - differences

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bonkhead

27 Jan 2015

Hi y'all,

Finding myself crippled due to nnxt's inability to link combi knobs to various parameters. I see NN19 does have what i need (never used that one since I started Reason in 2009, so it is new to me).
But, what are the sonic differences between them exactly ? And I mean filter wise, aliasing etc ?
I ask this because NN19 is even older.
Man, I get hits in google, but the old website and forum is gone, someone did tests back in 2002 ?

Last Alternative

27 Jan 2015

When I first bought Reason in 2009 I tried them both and they seemed about the same. I won't be much help but just wanted to say I haven't touched NN19 since because it just looks old LOL. And I hardly use the NNXT either because it's too confusing and involved for my outright basic knowledge of Reason and the depths of possibilities. Heck after all these years I'm just now graduating from tweaking presets to making my own synths and basses. And I still don't know jack shit about CV but I really need to dig in.
From what I remember the samplers sound the same but I'm guessing the NNXT has more features is all.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Pepin

27 Jan 2015

Bonkhead wrote: But, what are the sonic differences between them exactly ? And I mean filter wise, aliasing etc ?
NN-XT can load NN-19 patches, so I imagine they're identical sound-wise.

FrankJaeger

27 Jan 2015

I don't use any of the advanced features on either one of the samplers so I can't say which is better, but the NN19 does have different factory sounds than the NNXT and some of them are gems (maybe diamonds in the rough ;) ). I mostly use Kong or redrum for my own samples so I can't tell you how it works for that.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

dreampolice

27 Jan 2015

NNXT is better just for velocity layering alone. You should be able to map about everything with a combinator, what are you having trouble with? 

Pepin

27 Jan 2015

dreampolice wrote:You should be able to map about everything with a combinator, what are you having trouble with? 
Only the "Global Controls" on the NN-XT are Combinator destinations. That's the main reason to use the NN-19.

Attachments
nnxt.png
nnxt.png (403.71 KiB) Viewed 2396 times

tibah

27 Jan 2015

Sample start is somewhat different as far as I can remember. One beauty of NN19 was to use it as a simple granular device. In NNXT you can do alike things via velocity though.

I liked NN19 for being more accessible in general. It's also one of the device I'm looking forward to the most, should I finally upgrade to Reason 7/8/9 again. It's more fun to layer some of the great content I got via various ReFills (Soundcells, Bitword). :)

littlejam

27 Jan 2015

hello,

James Bernard did a 'how to be a super user of the nnxt'
and it shows how nnxt does granular synthesis as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhR-2v1y90

actually a very cool video with lots of techniques

i also agree that nnxt is very deep to learn but i believe it is worth it

:s0826: , j

littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

The Tone Ranger

27 Jan 2015

NN19 is better for taking a single sample and mangling it up.
NNXT is better for realistic multi sampled piano patches.

• Information