Upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cpetersus

26 Jan 2015

I'm thinking its about time for me to upgrade.  However I'm a new MAC user.  Been a PC guy my whole life until now.  If I were upgrading from Windows 7 to say Windows 8 or 10 then I wouldn't even hesitate to format the HD and load from scratch.

Being a fairly new MAC user I ask the question.  Do I need/should I start with a fresh load on Yosemite or simply upgrade download from App Store and let the magic of Apple just happen with the upgrade tool or whatever its called?  Did I mention I'm a MAC newbee?
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

Some Desperate Glory

26 Jan 2015

cpetersus wrote:I'm thinking its about time for me to upgrade.  However I'm a new MAC user.  Been a PC guy my whole life until now.  If I were upgrading from Windows 7 to say Windows 8 or 10 then I wouldn't even hesitate to format the HD and load from scratch.

Being a fairly new MAC user I ask the question.  Do I need/should I start with a fresh load on Yosemite or simply upgrade download from App Store and let the magic of Apple just happen with the upgrade tool or whatever its called?  Did I mention I'm a MAC newbee?
It usually "just works".  I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion and from Mountain Lion to Mavericks just as you said and let Apple work it's magic.  I had no problems at all.

That said, there have been some unhappy campers regarding Yosemite which is a new thing in Appleland.  I've put off upgrading.  My mom has it though and hasn't had a problem.  It might be worth checking out the forums and deciding for yourself.

Whatever you do, back up your files.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

QVprod

26 Jan 2015

Works perfectly fine, everything transfers over exactly as is. No need for a fresh install. Just make sure all of your needed software is compatible with Yosemite.

Failed Muso

26 Jan 2015

+1 to what QVprod says. Upgraded on day one and zero problems here. It all, as they say, just works ;) And I'm running it on a 2008 iMac :)

As with any upgrade though, always back up. If you're running Time Machine, you'll be good to go :thumbup:

Julibee

26 Jan 2015

I just got a MacBook Pro, and it came loaded with Yosemite, so I can't say much about the upgrade and whether or not there were any problems-- but I can vouch for Reason working flawlessly.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

zakalwe

26 Jan 2015

it's simple, try it and see if you have issues.  do a time machine backup first so you can revert to it if it's a disaster.

i found that, after installing both mavericks and yosemite, i had serious issues, mostly with safari. so i did a clean install and reinstalled apps.  you can also also do a clean install and  use migration assistant to copy your settings over but it is best to start over and lose the junk.

• Information