Can I change the voicing of a Rex Guitar loop???

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wellman

25 Jan 2015

Hi!

I know this is a long shot, but I know you guys are way more experienced in Reason than I am. So I have this loop, and I would like to create a new instance lets say a parallel channel, another rex loop player, whatever, to be able to play the same loop, but with a different voicing for the sake of harmony.  I tried the Neptune, but it didn't work.

Im not trying to change the key of the loop, but its voicing.

Any idea??

Olivier

25 Jan 2015

The only thing you can do to it is transpose the thing as a whole or on a per slice basis.

To change the voicing of for example a chord from an open to a close position you must have the individual notes of the chord available within the rex file so that you can change them seperately. This however isn't the case. A rex file is one flat recording so thats not going to work ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

wellman

25 Jan 2015

THanks Eauhm,

I tried but that didn't work either…. :-(

jfrichards

25 Jan 2015

You only have a few options for voice changing for fixed chords.  One is to raised the loop by one octave (12 semitones) and use a steep low pass filter to cut off the very high notes if they sound fake.  Another is to lower the loop by one octave and use a steep high pass filter to cut off the low notes if they sound fake.  Another is to find loops in different keys that when transposed say up or down 3 semitones, will give you the chord you want but with a different voicing.  For example, if you want to play in C minor with higher voicing, find a similar loop in A minor and raise it 3 semitones.  That will give you a C minor with all the notes two positions higher than the original A minor.  Here is an example of three rex players with C minor, A minor plus 3 semitones, and C minor plus 12 semitones, for three voicing of C minor.

http://phead.mu/s/Tn0YOOYk

I didn't need the filters with this particular loop.

wellman

25 Jan 2015

Thanks!!! 

I think I would probably go with another idea.. I don't know if I will be able to find a new loop. But I liked what you say about getting a new loop in another key that match the voicing Im looking for. Good thinking!!

eusti

25 Jan 2015

As I couldn't really figure it out myself, here is a question: Would Melodyne be ok for this kind of task, as it allows for changing single notes in a chord?

D.

zwerggle

28 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:As I couldn't really figure it out myself, here is a question: Would Melodyne be ok for this kind of task, as it allows for changing single notes in a chord?

D.
I've never used Melodyne, but this sounds exactly like the sort of thing it was designed for.

eusti

28 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:As I couldn't really figure it out myself, here is a question: Would Melodyne be ok for this kind of task, as it allows for changing single notes in a chord?

D.
zwerggle wrote:
I've never used Melodyne, but this sounds exactly like the sort of thing it was designed for.
I don't have a lot experience with Melodyne either... A quick test suggests that it might be better to do that to a loop that isn't too heavily effected yet... :P

D.

jfrichards

28 Jan 2015

You could post the loop and a guitarist on the forum could do one in a higher voicing.

eusti

28 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:You could post the loop and a guitarist on the forum could do one in a higher voicing.
That is most likely the best way around the issue, John! Indeed! :)

D.

wellman

29 Jan 2015

jfrichards wrote:You could post the loop and a guitarist on the forum could do one in a higher voicing.
First, excuse me for not being active. Had to go out of town because of my job.

It is actually an Ukelele. Do you Guys play Uke??? But if you guys don't mind you could do both in guitar.. acoustic guitar I mean. It would be great if you guys could do that...

cpetersus

29 Jan 2015

Post it. I have Melodyne Editor, a Ule and Acoustic guitar. I will do anything I can. No promises except that I will try.
:PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :reason: :recycle: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :refill: :re: Chris Peters -> Richmond, VA Reason 8 - MacMini (2012) i7 2.6 Quad Core w/10G Presonus AudioBox1818 -Alesis QX49 - Akai MPD26 - Presonus Monitor Station 2

wellman

02 Feb 2015

Hey Guys!! Im Back!!!

Here are the Acoustic Guitar loops I was talking about. Sorry I know I said it was an uke, but then I found a new one that sits better in my project.

The Loops (there 3 of them) are 1 bar long, and are in C. The Loops goes in C and B# and the tempo is 110. Im uploading the rex files, hope you dont mind. What I need is to have this same loops with the same style, in the same key but a different voicing. Lets say the 3rd inversion of the chord.

Here you can find the loops..: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb5smp9neggwj ... p.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

• Information