Reason inducted into the NAMM 'TECnology Hall of Fame'

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

24 Jan 2015

Saw this post from Peff:
https://www.facebook.com/6585872380/pho ... =1&theater

More info here:
https://www.tecawards.org/tecnology-hall-of-fame

2000 - Propellerhead Reason Music Software
Who would have thought that one of the world leading developers for music product software would have been borne out of a small Swedish company? Founded in 1994, Propellerhead Software quickly made a name for itself with its ReCycle and ReBirth products that were ideal for the growing electronic dance music (EDM) market. A major advance came in 2000 with Reason, which offered a virtual toy box of remix gear, with synths, samplers, drum machines, sequencers, loop players, mixers and effects — all in an integrated environment. Over the years, Reason grew from a niche product to an essential (and now far more powerful) tool for music making, and now incorporates a full-featured DAW with unlimited tracks, an SSL-modeled console and all the toys that have made it a favorite over the past 15 years.

Congrats Propellerhead!!!  :t2018:

CharlyCharlzz

24 Jan 2015

Nice one !

that is great , we can imagine that we are going to see a good Propellerhead year ahead .

I bet there is more stuff to come a year along ;)

It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

rvman

24 Jan 2015

Kind of sad to be receiving these awards right when PH and Reason are about to die off due to poor sales. Darn you Reason 8!!!!! You've dragged and dropped us to oblivion! If only your work flow had been made harder!
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

JNeffLind

25 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:Saw this post from Peff:

More info here:

Who would have thought that one of the world leading developers for music product software would have been borne out of a small Swedish company? Founded in 1994, Propellerhead Software quickly made a name for itself with its ReCycle and ReBirth products that were ideal for the growing electronic dance music (EDM) market. A major advance came in 2000 with Reason, which offered a virtual toy box of remix gear, with synths, samplers, drum machines, sequencers, loop players, mixers and effects — all in an integrated environment. Over the years, Reason grew from a niche product to an essential (and now far more powerful) tool for music making, and now incorporates a full-featured DAW with unlimited tracks, an SSL-modeled console and all the toys that have made it a favorite over the past 15 years.

For all the kids misusing the word ironic, see the above quoted material in the context of reason 8 for a perfect definition of irony. Congrats to propellerhead on their past innovation. Recent innovation... I guess the jury is still out, but I'm not optimistic.

After a lot of thought I feel like the criticism leveled against reason by haters is being given more weight, that being the idea that it's a "toy." Figure and Take are toys, not tools. If they are the future, I fear the future is dim. That's okay, I'll enjoy R7 until I die.

Gaja

25 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:Saw this post from Peff:

More info here:

JNeffLind wrote:
For all the kids misusing the word ironic, see the above quoted material in the context of reason 8 for a perfect definition of irony. Congrats to propellerhead on their past innovation. Recent innovation... I guess the jury is still out, but I'm not optimistic.

After a lot of thought I feel like the criticism leveled against reason by haters is being given more weight, that being the idea that it's a "toy." Figure and Take are toys, not tools. If they are the future, I fear the future is dim. That's okay, I'll enjoy R7 until I die.
Sorry if this makes no sense, since I'm only about to drink my first coffee.
I think that toys are there to play withh. Same with every instrument. I play the piano, but I don't work the piano. The piano works (or not) because of my playing with it. The more playful I am, the more I learn and the better the outcome.
Same with figure and take. If you use it to dabble around for two minutes, have a little fun and then leave it at that, then you use it like a toy. If you make a Hihat pattern that rocks and you drop it to props and load it in your production, then you've used it as a tool.

I think all this doom and apropalypse talk is exaggerated. I personally think that discover could be very nice.

Since I'm at it, I'm going over to the studio in two hours. Would anyone like me to record and spread some free Udu loops (not recorded with the iPhone mic, but with a U87). Or some huge ass slave boat timpani?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

JNeffLind

25 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:
 Sorry if this makes no sense, since I'm only about to drink my first coffee. I think that toys are there to play withh. Same with every instrument. I play the piano, but I don't work the piano. The piano works (or not) because of my playing with it. The more playful I am, the more I learn and the better the outcome. Same with figure and take. If you use it to dabble around for two minutes, have a little fun and then leave it at that, then you use it like a toy. If you make a Hihat pattern that rocks and you drop it to props and load it in your production, then you've used it as a tool. I think all this doom and apropalypse talk is exaggerated. I personally think that discover could be very nice. Since I'm at it, I'm going over to the studio in two hours. Would anyone like me to record and spread some free Udu loops (not recorded with the iPhone mic, but with a U87). Or some huge ass slave boat timpani?
Reason (and a piano) may be toys because they're fun, but they're also capable of serious work. That's what I love about Reason. It's fun and inspiring, but (at least to me) not at all limited. The current innovations seem like they're geared towards dabblers and dilettantes. I'll be pleased to be wrong for the sake of Propellerhead's success/future as a company. I just think they're moving in a direction that doesn't interest me, and I'd be a bit surprised if it interested many serious musicians beyond messing around a bit, as opposed to using it as a tool. You see the distinction I'm trying to make? Toys aren't bad, but toys that are only toys are limited. Reason is a "toy" that's also capable of work. I think you make good points, and I'm not sure I'm right or that nor do I believe I speak for everyone. I'm all for having an open mind and seeing what the future holds. It's just that from where I'm standing now, the future doesn't look great. Luckily I'm enjoying the spoils of the past.  :s0230:

Jagwah

25 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:That's okay, I'll enjoy R7 until I die.
Hell yeah - Reason 7 FTW! :comp:

Gaja

25 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote:
 Sorry if this makes no sense, since I'm only about to drink my first coffee. I think that toys are there to play withh. Same with every instrument. I play the piano, but I don't work the piano. The piano works (or not) because of my playing with it. The more playful I am, the more I learn and the better the outcome. Same with figure and take. If you use it to dabble around for two minutes, have a little fun and then leave it at that, then you use it like a toy. If you make a Hihat pattern that rocks and you drop it to props and load it in your production, then you've used it as a tool. I think all this doom and apropalypse talk is exaggerated. I personally think that discover could be very nice. Since I'm at it, I'm going over to the studio in two hours. Would anyone like me to record and spread some free Udu loops (not recorded with the iPhone mic, but with a U87). Or some huge ass slave boat timpani?
JNeffLind wrote:
Reason (and a piano) may be toys because they're fun, but they're also capable of serious work. That's what I love about Reason. It's fun and inspiring, but (at least to me) not at all limited. The current innovations seem like they're geared towards dabblers and dilettantes. I'll be pleased to be wrong for the sake of Propellerhead's success/future as a company. I just think they're moving in a direction that doesn't interest me, and I'd be a bit surprised if it interested many serious musicians beyond messing around a bit, as opposed to using it as a tool. You see the distinction I'm trying to make? Toys aren't bad, but toys that are only toys are limited. Reason is a "toy" that's also capable of work. I think you make good points, and I'm not sure I'm right or that nor do I believe I speak for everyone. I'm all for having an open mind and seeing what the future holds. It's just that from where I'm standing now, the future doesn't look great. Luckily I'm enjoying the spoils of the past.  :s0230:
Exactly! It's up to the people who use it to offer content. That means us. And I'm seriously considering to use it for professional purposes, and everyone might profit from it, which would be a fantastic situation, don't you think?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

Woaaw so the two things they added in Reason 8 make it a toy when 7.101 is Professional ?!?! hahaha LOL

it's only a toy because some guys buyed as a toy to play when it was at one dollar !!!!!!!!

dead funny ...

Attachments
pouf.png
pouf.png (460.61 KiB) Viewed 2428 times

joeyluck

25 Jan 2015

PS the word "toy" is used broadly at NAMM as it's a big toy convention for nerds like us.  Toys are things that are fun to play with.  If it was a "tool" convention...not so fun sounding.

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

joeyluck I did a thread way back in 2012 called : is reason just a toy ?

most Props fans and even some PH badges guys denied that way to call it because of course the (just) make it sound like a bad thing .

I think it is fun like a toy for shure but what I mean by my mémé up there is that I keep reading since this forum opened that Props are making toys now (sayed in the bad way) ,
I think it is importent to stay objective . Reason will get way better if props make money with apps , if they make cash with apps it is all because of there Tech creation done to run in Reason .
I would add to this that it is not a bad idear to hook up there materials this way and the Pros using it or not is not what matters , what is importent is that most clients like it or use it .
today kids got a Facebook that they dont use and dont even anderstand twitter , they never go on forums and throw a snapchat call to direct group chats on something else so yhea Props are right ON .

PS: I call a toy every Piece of equipement I use to play :D

stratatonic

25 Jan 2015

joeyluck wrote:
More info here:
A worthy list. The only ones I was unfamiliar with was SMAART Audio Analysis Program and the Sony c-37a microphone. Is the Sony mic still in general use? I'm surprised I never heard about it - ever.

joeyluck

25 Jan 2015

On top of that, if you listen at the end, products need to be at least 10 years old to be inducted.  With Reason being 15 years old, it is the newest (youngest) product to be inducted  :t2018:

JNeffLind

25 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:Woaaw so the two things they added in Reason 8 make it a toy when 7.101 is Professional ?!?! hahaha LOL

it's only a toy because some guys buyed as a toy to play when it was at one dollar !!!!!!!!

dead funny ...

I think you misunderstood me. I only used toy in the pejorative sense for Figure and Take. I said Reason is a toy in the way a piano is a toy. Also, what if I am a "pouf." Is there something wrong with that?

CharlyCharlzz

25 Jan 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:Woaaw so the two things they added in Reason 8 make it a toy when 7.101 is Professional ?!?! hahaha LOL

dead funny ...

JNeffLind wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. I only used toy in the pejorative sense for Figure and Take. I said Reason is a toy in the way a piano is a toy. Also, what if I am a "pouf." Is there something wrong with that?

I don't think your a Pouf JneffLind , I am on 7.101 myself and proud to be  !

I think that I readed so much guys saying : Props are over with Reason , it's the end of Propellerhead  and all the blabla about the toy thingy that I cracked out so yhea I missreaded half of your post :D

I was not using quotes to not point at you or anybody else in specifique but more to all the  one's who give hate Post's to reason eversy two secs like they know it all  just like I did in previous post's here on post 38 http://www.reasontalk.com/post/and-the- ... ?&trail=50
and also here on post 6 http://www.reasontalk.com/post/reason-8 ... 1285939573 

see no quotes but the guys I really was pointing this at know it because I used there phrase like now Reason 8 I just a toy and will never catch up with other daws   , I just been a bit pissed off with the average hate !

also I discovered that most clowns that been trolling on my and others when I joined where 2 dollars reason 6 users wich did not give a damn about anything and alowed them self's being pricks because they payed 2 bucks .

but hey I re-readed your post so no worry I think i would have trip the same ;)

JNeffLind

25 Jan 2015

I'm not a doomsayer. I've said several times that I'll be happy with R7 forever and I even started a thread about how we should all wait and see what happened. (that thread mysteriously disappeared somehow) I'm legitimately curious to see how many serious musicians keep Figure as part of their workflow. It's not for me, but there are lots of things that aren't for me that others love.

I just have a hunch that it's more of a novelty that will get tiresome pretty quickly for those of us who have enjoyed the power of a full Reason rack.

I understand being annoyed with the R8 hate and I'm the same way. I guess it just struck a nerve when I saw they were inducted into the hall of fame. It reminded me how incredible this product has been and how much they deserve this award and how puzzled I am by the current agenda. I hope I'm wrong about Figure/Take/Discover being worth the investment the company is obviously putting in them.

Something to think about: My understanding is that anything uploaded to Discover becomes the property of Propellerhead. So if you were to ever create a hit in Reason with something that started in Discover, even if you made the initial loop and then uploaded it to discover only to get it from your phone to your computer, Propellerhead owns at least part of it. Just seems like a very strange system to me. I understand most aren't worried about copyrights and are just having fun, but it just seems puzzling to me. 

Or maybe it's different if you use Figure and only upload privately. Does anyone know? Can you get material from your phone to your computer without giving up the rights to it now that Props have taken away the ability to export without using "drop to discover."

EDIT: Am I remembering the bit about rights correctly? Is it that Propellerhead owns the rights or just that you give up all rights when using discover, i.e. no one owns the rights, it's public domain, etc.? If it's the latter, I guess it wouldn't matter so long as you kept your stuff unlisted because you'd "regain" the rights by incorporating into your own work and only "publishing" it publicly after working on it in Reason.

EnochLight

25 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Something to think about: My understanding is that anything uploaded to Discover becomes the property of Propellerhead. So if you were to ever create a hit in Reason with something that started in Discover, even if you made the initial loop and then uploaded it to discover only to get it from your phone to your computer, Propellerhead owns at least part of it. Just seems like a very strange system to me. I understand most aren't worried about copyrights and are just having fun, but it just seems puzzling to me. 

Or maybe it's different if you use Figure and only upload privately. Does anyone know? Can you get material from your phone to your computer without giving up the rights to it now that Props have taken away the ability to export without using "drop to discover."

EDIT: Am I remembering the bit about rights correctly? Is it that Propellerhead owns the rights or just that you give up all rights when using discover, i.e. no one owns the rights, it's public domain, etc.? If it's the latter, I guess it wouldn't matter so long as you kept your stuff unlisted because you'd "regain" the rights by incorporating into your own work and only "publishing" it publicly after working on it in Reason.

As mentioned in your other thread, this is incorrect. The original artist maintains all rights of ownership. The EULA states:

"3.1 You retain all of your ownership rights in the Content that you create or upload to the Sharing Services. However, by uploading Content you grant every user and Propellerhead a non-exclusive right to use your music (with the right to sublicense). The license includes a right to copy, reproduce, communicate to the public, distribute, prepare derivative works of, modify and adapt your Content – even for commercial purposes – in any and all media and distribution methods and to the extent permitted by the Terms of Service. The license applies worldwide and is royalty-free and irrevocable."

So, post it publicly (via Discover) and the above applies. Post it privately (unlisted) and YOU (and anyone you share the URL with) are the only ones that have access to it - and a non-exclusive right to use for the peeps you share with. Pretty simples.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

25 Jan 2015

rvman wrote:Kind of sad to be receiving these awards right when PH and Reason are about to die off due to poor sales.

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Pepin

25 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote: So, post it publicly (via Discover) and the above applies. Post it privately (unlisted) and YOU (and anyone you share the URL with) are the only ones that have access to it - and a non-exclusive right to use for the peeps you share with. Pretty simples.
From what I understand, the above applies even to unlisted files. If someone shares the URL without your permission or publicly uploads something based on the unlisted file, there's nothing you can do to stop others from using it. Unlisted uploads are still technically licensed to everyone (unless I'm missing something).

Faastwalker

26 Jan 2015

Fantastic news. And very well deserved I think. Well done Propellerhead ;-)

Djstarski

26 Jan 2015

Well done Propellerhead you deserve that award . 15 years .

The Tone Ranger

26 Jan 2015

I'm getting tired of all the Reason is a toy or Reason isn't professional etc...

Reason has been capable of professional results since 2000! You can do everything that was possible in Reason 1 in Reason 8, plus a lot more.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote: So, post it publicly (via Discover) and the above applies. Post it privately (unlisted) and YOU (and anyone you share the URL with) are the only ones that have access to it - and a non-exclusive right to use for the peeps you share with. Pretty simples.
Pepin wrote:
From what I understand, the above applies even to unlisted files. If someone shares the URL without your permission or publicly uploads something based on the unlisted file, there's nothing you can do to stop others from using it. Unlisted uploads are still technically licensed to everyone (unless I'm missing something).
My point is, any unlisted work is only available to the artist who uploads it. Discover (nor Propellerhead) won't curate unlisted stuff.

Sharing an unlisted piece is no different than collaborating in any other fashion. If I were to agree to partner with another artist to work on something, and chose to use Drop to Prop and an unlisted link to work, I could always have said hypothetical partner sign an agreement in lieu of said partnership if I was worried about my (our) work being used outside of the project.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2015

Pepin wrote:
EnochLight wrote: My point is, any unlisted work is only available to the artist who uploads it. Discover (nor Propellerhead) won't curate unlisted stuff. Sharing an unlisted piece is no different than collaborating in any other fashion. If I were to agree to partner with another artist to work on something, and chose to use Drop to Prop and an unlisted link to work, I could always have said hypothetical partner sign an agreement in lieu of said partnership if I was worried about my (our) work being used outside of the project.
1. I don't see anywhere in the agreement that says unlisted uploads are exempt from being royalty free
2. Even though you choose who you send it to, that doesn't prevent them from sharing the link, deliberately or accidentally. Although it is unlikely this will happen and result in someone making mega bucks from your work you planned only to share with your friend, it would be nice to be able to choose a license and even grant a license to specific persons :)

• Information