And now "Reason wants to make changes" WTFF?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Palmeira

23 Jan 2015

Just went to start Reason and this dialog box popped up. With all the changes the Props are making I'm just a little paranoid at this point. Has anyone else just got this and know what changes (exactly) Reason wants to make???

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-01-23_at_16.51.41.png
Screen_Shot_2015-01-23_at_16.51.41.png (32.71 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

-008'

23 Jan 2015

Did you recently install a different version than what you had before?
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Palmeira

23 Jan 2015

Absolutely not. I can't even remember the last time I installed anything even remotely related to Reason.

Palmeira

23 Jan 2015

Going to be away from the puter over the weekend but I'll check back and see if anyone else is seeing this and if so what it means. If no'one else gets this I'll just assume it's my puter being stupid and let it do whatever it wants to do.

Cheers

normen

23 Jan 2015

If you installed some VST instrument that supports being a Reason slave that instrument might have changed / downgraded your ReWire binaries and now Reason wants to install its own binaries again.

esselfortium

23 Jan 2015

This dialog doesn't mean that anything in Reason itself is changing -- there's no auto-update feature (yet). It's a standard Mac OS X dialog that means a program needs Administrator privileges to perform an action, similar to the UAC prompts in Windows. It generally means that it wants to write to a file that's in your Applications folder or another non-user-owned folder.

Since it happens on startup, my best guess is it's something relating to authorization? The dialog is unfortunately pretty vague, so I can't say offhand what it might be doing in your specific case, but I've found a post elsewhere that might help narrow it down:
You can use 

Code: Select all

sudo opensnoop -n ProcessName
 to see what files have been opened by a process, but only after they've been accessed of course. You could also use fseventer to display modified files in a tree view.
(source)

I wouldn't be concerned, though. Reason is not bundled with malware, and while relatively rare, it's not too unusual to see this sort of thing from a program. I usually don't give it a second thought as long as it's a program I trust.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

LudvigC
Reason Studios

23 Jan 2015

It's unusual that this pops up if you haven't updated the program or changed stuff.

On startup, Reason checks for some files that should be present - if not, the program copies them to the right locations. 

If these locations are user folders (e.g. ~/library/preferences), no special admin rights are needed.
But some stuff go into global folders (e.g. Remote and ReWire files, and demo songs inside the Application folder) - these requires admin rights and will cause this alert to show.

Perhaps you have happened to remove one of these files?

Theo.M

25 Jan 2015

This happens if you for example started version 8 then decided to start version 7 at a later date, it's something to do with rewriting preferences.. (I think), however you said nothing's chnage don your system

What did you decide to do? if you are a bit worried about it being a virus (which i am 99.999999% sure it isn't), just turn airport off, and perform the action, close reason and then re launch it and see if it asks again. If it doesn't that means it shouldn't theoretically for a long  time till a version upgrade.

I had to do it with 8.1 update (codemeter update), there's things that may trigger this. Perhaps your prefs file is corrupted. That is known to happen on osx from time to time. You will know this when you launch if your prefs are reset..

Just a couple examples but I feel it's very safe for you to just go ahead and do it and let it perform it's presumably one off action.

Palmeira

26 Jan 2015

Hi guys and thanks for your replies. I took the plunge, entered my pw and Reason ran fine. I then shut it down and opened it again and now it's not asking for my pw so I guess whatever it was, was a minor thing that Reason felt the need to correct. I don't know what it was as I hadn't installed anything that seemed likely to interfere with Reason but I'm happy Reasoning again so all's good.

Thanks all

Aiden

EnochLight

26 Jan 2015

NMRosta wrote: propellerheads site just look awfull. Like it is made only to stimulate young higschool kids. Image

Btw. This forum shoud have one icon for "soundcloud" :comp:
The OP's problem was solved and is completely unrelated to this.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

28 Jan 2015

I get the message when taking out usb stick and firing up reason… I get it again when putting stick back in… no big deal I think
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information