I ? Reason, and The Beatles

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
offaxisdaddy

24 Jan 2015

Thanks Selig. Not knowing the history of the stems I was gifted leaves more questions than answers for me. Not withstanding, It's very educational to hear the different tracks in isolation - the strengths and flaws and the sometimes haphazard way things were bounced. Any chance of you emulating the EMI desk components as a RE? The simple 8k eq box is AWESOME on snares.  :)

Tre Trelos

25 Jan 2015

Emerick talks a bit about the syncing of two 4 tracks.

http://www.taxi.com/transmitter/1402/ge ... iew-3.html

Orion

08 Feb 2015

This topic is very close to my heart. It's where I'm coming from and where I'm going.

I wanted to respond when you first posted it but I'm a busy boy and got distracted. But I didn't forget.

When I was 9 years old, my mother set me on my life's path when she sat me down and introduced me to the Beatles and their Revolver album. Listening to it on headphones, I experienced sonic ecstasy for the first time in my life and a seed was planted in my mind.

I did my first multitracking experiments when I was 14, using an old boombox and a Fischer Price children's cassette recorder that I borrowed from my little brother. Using one or the other, I recorded myself playing on my little Casiotone keyboard. Then I played that cassette on the boombox while playing along with it on the Casiotone and recording on the other tape deck. Then I played that tape while playing along with it and recording. I was quite pleased with myself that day and from then on I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life.

My first proper musical instrument was a Tascam PortaOne. It was the first portable four track cassette recorder on the market. I saved up for it while illegally working (I was underage) in a New York City nightclub and living in an abandoned burnt out tenement building. I kept all the cash I was saving in my front pocket as it was the safest place I knew of. When I finally had enough money saved I went uptown to Sam Ash to buy the device and it was like a dream come true. I was carrying home what amounted to the recording capabilities of The Beatles in a little box.

I'll refrain from telling my whole life story but the point of this is: to me, the ability to make multitrack recordings is a wonderful, magical gift that I have at various times struggled and sacrificed to gain access to. When I first got a copy of Reason 1.0 it blew my mind. When audio recording capability was finally added to the mix, it was truly all over (in the best sense). Using Reason is like a gateway to heaven on earth for me. After nearly 14 years of using the software, it is still so rich with potential and possibilities. I can only imagine what I'll accomplish if I ever learn to use it properly.

Thanks for your post - it reminded me how I got mixed up with all this business in the first place.

dvdrtldg

08 Feb 2015

My parents got me into the Beatles too. Mum was an opera singer and dad was a massive jazz snob, so it was kind of a surprise when they brought home Abbey Rd. Blew my mind right open, I used to listen to side 2 on infinite repeat until I'd get chased out of the house to play outside.

dstreets

09 Feb 2015

This mix came out of Reason (with vocals already treated with Waves Redd Desk and Slate VTM). Drums used were the Native Instrument Abbey Road 60s Drums (Ludwig Hollywood Kit). Then final mix treated with Kramer Master Tape, Redd (mix of 37/51), NLS (Mike) and VTM (all plugs using very conservative levels).

Thought I'd share since it is done in that Mid-60s Beatles style and in Reason. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/raminstreets/nothing-at-all

joeyluck

09 Feb 2015

I don't know what happened with the licensing or whatnot with the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFills, but if you don't have it, you should buy it ASAP before they are all gone.  It is my favorite ReFill.

And...Propellerhead should team up with Abbey Road again and use this amazing content to make a RE or something.  I'd hate for other Reason users to miss out on this.

Marco Raaphorst

09 Feb 2015

love the beatles.

here's a trick using reverb on vocals: add a compressor after the reverb. really cool. very much Sergent Pepper :D

MirEko

10 Feb 2015

I love the Beatles, they changed the way I listened to music and put me onto the wonderful world of British music.
I have fond memories of travelling by bus through Nepal high on mushrooms with Revolver on loop through my headphones, looking out across the amazing scenery.. Was a mind blowing experience for me.

At risk of alienating everyone on this thread, here's a remix I did of eleanor rigby.
It's posted under one of my many online alter egos :)

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

• Information