I ? Reason, and The Beatles

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

With all the clamour surrounding Propellerhead's lackluster performance as a company, with obscure and often inexplicable decisions, it can be easy to forget how amazing Reason is, as a stock device, and expandable by a generous array of aftermarket Rack Extensions & ReFills. The only limitation to outstanding music is the user's creativity, and no amount of Rack Extensions is going to enhance an ordinary composer.

To use an album as a benchmark of creativity, I urge EVERYONE to listen to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, an album released in 1967 by The Beatles. Now, I already know that those unfamiliar with the band usually cringe and say 'fuck that old bubblegum pop band'. Here's a newsflash to those people. You can't begin to imagine what this album is like if all you think of the Beatles is the 'Love Me do' sound. The band had already given up on touring for good (save for a final, impromptu performance on the rooftop of the Apple building at the end of the band's career (uh-huh.. you read right. Apple Corps was the company and label that The Beatles created, long before Steve Jobs stole the iconic name), and proceeded to make the Sgt. Peppers album that could not even be performed live. Such is the studio wizardry executed by the band, along with producer George Martin, that the Sgt. Peppers record broke into territory that no other band had ever achieved in the past. Experimental music was not a new thing, but to be experimental and musical, and to chart at #1 in five countries, was truly a groundbreaking achievement.

While 8-Track recording was available in 1967, Abbey Road Studios were slow adapters of technology. Thus, Sgt. Peppers was recorded using a 4-TRACK (utilizing bounce outs, splicing, reverse playing etc). This is the model they used:

I believe this was the mixing console that was used for the album. A far cry from the SSL, hey?

Do you know the history of a 'flanger'? While perhaps not the originators, It was popularized by the Beatles, and if not for John Lennon, we may have not seen the device in today's world. 

"Further development of the classic effect is attributed to Ken Townsend, an engineer at EMI's Abbey Road Studio, who devised the process in the spring of 1966. Tired of laboriously re-recording dual vocal tracks, John Lennon asked Townsend if there was some way for the Beatles to get the sound of double-tracked vocals without doing the work. Townsend devised Artificial Double Tracking or ADT. According to historian Mark Lewisohn, it was Lennon who first called the technique "flanging". Lennon asked George Martin to explain how ADT worked, and Martin answered with the nonsense explanation "Now listen, it's very simple. We take the original image and we split it through a double vibrocated sploshing flange with double negative feedback".Lennon thought Martin was joking. Martin replied, "Well, let's flange it again and see". From that point, when Lennon wanted ADT he would ask for his voice to be flanged, or call out for "Ken's flanger". According to Lewisohn, the Beatles' influence meant the term "flanging" is still in use today, more than 40 years later. The first Beatles track to feature flanging was "Tomorrow Never Knows" from Revolver, which was recorded on April 6, 1966. When Revolver was released on August 5, 1966, almost every song had been subjected to flanging."

Have you all downloaded Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band from your favourite music source yet? It's your loss if you choose not to. Not only as a listening experience, but to allow you to consider your own creativity. Buy it, download it, find a comfortable space, free from distraction, and immerse yourself. Live only for this moment. Your moment. You and the Beatles. Together alone. Within You, Without You.

The Reason software suite offers a vast array of tools to not only equal most approaches in the Sgt. Peppers album, but to execute them immediately. WOuld you like some backwards audio tracking? Easy.. select the clip and choose 'reverse clips' from a drop down menu. Need to slice & dice some tracks? Hit the letter 'R' while in the sequencer window, and start slicing away. Younger folks living in the digital age may not appreciate the work that went into these processes in 1967. It was literally a razor blade and some cello tape. The tape console motors were mechanically reversed. If you wanted some crazy warbling sounds, you didn't reach for the left mouse click and choose a creative effect, but stuck a pencil in the tape's journey, and fucked around with the tension.

With Reason, we have it so easy. Lossless multitracking with no track number limitations. Several stock synthesizers with limitless tweaking possibilities. OK, not limitless, but within Thor alone, between all the patches, and every position of each filter, there would be BILLIONS of variations. Load up some native FX patches and tweak them, for millions more. Repeat for Subtractor. Add into that the Malstrom. Multiply the figures with Alligator.. it goes on and on (a bit like this post), so we may as well say 'limitless possibilities', for wont of defining a number that Benoit Mandelbrot would struggle with calculating.

Check out the 'Echo'. A tribute to the Roland Space Echo series (of which I have one - wanna see a pic?). It's been a favorite hardware device in psychedelic music of the '60's, and years later a core device in the birth of Dub. Not this stupid 'dubstep' or any other genre using the term. DUB. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don't know what dub music is really all about. For Reason users, we can do EVERYTHING that the original dub guys were doing.

Check out the virtual mixing console we have in the Reason arsenal. Now scroll back up to the image of John Lennon sitting alongside the EMI desk. Now, are you feeling a bit more grateful for the technology we have at our fingertips in 2015?

How about the NN-XT ? Sgt. Peppers aside, almost all of the greatest music, the most creative endeavors, were done with real instruments. If you didn't have the instrument, you paid a fortune to get it. This imposed limitations, but we, as Reason users, have no such restrictions. Complain all you wish about NN-XT being an 'old' device requiring a revamp, but it's a powerful device in it's own right. Coupled with a wide range of third-part ReFills, it's a home & professional studio powerhouse. Don't compare it to the next DAW's wizz-bang model, nor seek to acquire the latest & greatest, because no amount of gadgets will really help you if your compositions are lackluster.

Perhaps you would like some piano in your next song. Let's not whinge about the limited sounds in NNXT or ID8, but quietly reflect on how much a pain in the ass it would be to actually buy a piano. Heavy, takes up a lot of space, and you only have one core sound source. With Reason's native devices, combined with FX, there are a multitude of piano sounds that can be generated. If you don't like to, or don't have the skills to get a great piano sound, there is the excellent Reason Piano ReFill and also the Radical Piano RE.

How many electronic drum beats do we need? ReDrum is nice, it's an ease to use, and one could look no further (lol) for those boom boom boom sounds that appears in 90% of people's music. But the boundaries have been extended with Kong. Holy crabs, that device is a giant. I never used it until mid 2014, and discovered the extended panel for tweaks. The Kong library of single hits is enormous. Between the library and the in-device tweaks, can people really not find an artificial kick drum to their liking? I guess not, because there are RE's being sold for such porpises. It seems a nit fishy to me, when the whole 'drum machine' concept developed as a crass imitation of the real thing - perhaps some younger users might like to know that drums were once an instrument that you hit with a stick. To each their own, but I see more organic soul in a drummer like Danny Carey over some dude with one hand punching the sky and the other hand tapping some illuminated buttons. In the author's own opinion, drums/percussion are the one shortcoming of the DAW. Let's see how many people take me to task on this paragraph and ignore every other point made......

Think about the Combinator, and what it does. Step outside of yourself, and instead of focusing on what *you* use it for, take a broader examination of what it *can* do. For truly custom sounds, some epic Combinators can be built when you start throwing a few 14 channel desks into the device. Such technological capabilities could not have been dreamed of when Sgt. Peppers was being recorded.

How about the automation parameters. Almost every device, both native and third party, allow for absolute control down to 1/64th of a beat. Those old school original dub guys would cream their pants at such a technology, and if it were around in 1967, George Martin would have had a heart attach brought on by a state of pure production ecstasy.

"We need synth 'x'" (Zebra, Omisphere, whatever) is often the cry from Reason users. There must be what, 10 in the RE store already. Taking the guesstimated billions reference earlier in this topic with Thor alone, purchasing those RE's will put you in the range of having TRILLIONS of options. No, in fact, there is no word for the number of unique sound options a user can create. Let's go with BAZILLIONS.

So what are y'all waiting for? How close are you to making that album that will define what absolute creative genius is all about? You don't need to strive towards making an album that sounds like Sgt. Peppers. You don't even need to emulate the musical style. Find your own way, not that of some dude in a mickey mouse mask playing loops, or a dirty-haired midget smackie pushing buttons, or one of countless hooded air punchers who dominate the scene. Reason is here, and waiting for you to explore. Push the boundaries, not only of the software, but of your own consciousness.

Footnote: I do not take the position of a master composer or producer. I'm mediocre at the former, and lousy at the latter. But I'm self aware enough to know that the only thing stopping me is my own limited skillset. The Reason Suite, couple with the current range of third party RE's & ReFills, is an unrivaled powerhouse in digital music production. No other DAW, as far as I know offers the versatility of skeumorphic design that goes beyond a pretty looking GUI. I've overlooked the power of CV routing, because it's not my forte, but again, I am aware of the possibilities. Likewise, there are many, many other aspects of the Reason suite that I have failed to mention.

How about you? What do you like about Reason?

My Words are my ART

stratatonic

23 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: Have you all downloaded Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band from your favourite music source yet? It's your loss if you choose not to. Not only as a listening experience, but to allow you to consider your own creativity. Buy it, download it, find a comfortable space, free from distraction, and immerse yourself. Live only for this moment. Your moment. You and the Beatles. Together alone. Within You, Without You.
Sgt. Pepper was the first thing I owned. Birthday present at 12 or 13 from an older sister who thought I would like it as I was was starting to write my own stuff already. George Martin is a genius. Within you, Without You is my least favourite Sgt.Pepper tune.

Reason is an amazing program. I agree. Nice post dude.

-008'

23 Jan 2015

As far as the NNXT section,,.. Mellotron! :)
Wasnt strawberry fields intended to be on splhcb, before it was released as a single? So technically, The Beatles had samplers too :) and our "outdated" NNXT is downright futuristic by comparison.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

stratatonic wrote:Sgt. Pepper was the first thing I owned. Birthday present at 12 or 13 from an older sister who thought I would like it as I was was starting to write my own stuff already. George Martin is a genius.

Oh man, I love you ! Let's be friends forever.

stratatonic wrote:Within you, Without You is my least favourite Sgt.Pepper tune.
You are dead to me.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

-008' wrote:As far as the NNXT section,,.. Mellotron! :) Wasnt strawberry fields intended to be on splhcb, before it was released as a single? So technically, The Beatles had samplers too :) and our "outdated" NNXT is downright futuristic by comparison.
I'm not suggesting there were not samplers, and as you rightly pointed out, there was the Mellotron, which was one of the 'in-house' instruments at Abbey Road Studios. But yes, the NN-XT kicks ass over anything from that time.

The Abbey Road Mellotron is available in a Refill, but you probably know that already. I'm just stating this for others.

This is the (discontinued) Abbey Road ReFill for Reason people.

My Words are my ART

esselfortium

23 Jan 2015

I'll admit that Sgt. Peppers took me a while to get into. I think I was too young or otherwise wasn't in the right frame of mind for it the first time I heard it. It's full of cool stuff, though. The whole Beatles catalog is, really!

"A Day In The Life" is an easy favorite, both for the composition itself and for its fantastic production, but for something less talked about, the sitar drone on "Getting Better" is one of the coolest moments on the album for me, how when it comes in it totally changes the feel of the song.

I believe George Martin once said that he regretted that "Strawberry Fields Forever" was left off the album because at the time it was considered cheap to re-release singles as album tracks.(!) That song might have the most interesting production story of the whole Beatles catalog -- it was composited together from four different takes, which were recorded in different keys and different tempos, using entirely different instruments. That they were assembled so seamlessly and coherently to make the finished product into such a dynamic and varied song is a testament to Martin's genius and skill.

See the Strawberry Fields Forever entry near the bottom of this page for a more technical explanation.
stratatonic wrote:Sgt. Pepper was the first thing I owned. Birthday present at 12 or 13 from an older sister who thought I would like it as I was was starting to write my own stuff already. George Martin is a genius.
Namahs Amrak wrote:

Oh man, I love you ! Let's be friends forever.

stratatonic wrote:Within you, Without You is my least favourite Sgt.Pepper tune.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
You are dead to me.
:rofl:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Ocean of Waves

23 Jan 2015

Pink Floyd and later the Beatles taught me it is cool to use anything and to everything in the studio and those bands are the reason why I build a studio for my band to "work" endlessly on our music.

xDJDroidx

23 Jan 2015

I always though "flange" was invented by an engineer (who exactly did it first I don't know) pressing his finger on the "flange" wheel of the recorder.

The beetles quotes make interesting reading though.

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

George Martin was indeed a genius, and The Beatles would not have sustained such an illustrious reputation on the world stage without him. Despite this, John Lennon wasn't as grateful:

I'd like to hear George Martin's music, please, just play me some." In a 1971 letter to Paul McCartney, Lennon wrote, "When people ask me questions about 'What did George Martin really do for you?,' I have only one answer, 'What does he do now?' I noticed you had no answer for that! It's not a putdown, it's the truth." Lennon wrote that Martin took too much credit for the Beatles' music. Commenting specifically on"Revolution 9", Lennon said, "For Martin to state that he was 'painting a sound picture' is pure hallucination. Ask any of the other people involved. The final editing Yoko and I did alone."

Although I have never met the man, by all accounts, John Lennon was an asshole.
My Words are my ART

Stu

23 Jan 2015

Great post :-) Put me in mind of this video, deconstructing sgt pepper. Worth a listen if you haven't already

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5-Yxuc
Simple sounds and easy thoughts

Namahs Amrak

23 Jan 2015

xDJDroidx wrote:I always though "flange" was invented by an engineer (who exactly did it first I don't know) pressing his finger on the "flange" wheel of the recorder.
Precisely, but we are speaking of the word, not the technique. The subsequent popularity of the flanger may well be attributed to the John Lennon association.

it was Lennon who first called the technique "flanging"

xDJDroidx wrote:The beetles quotes make interesting reading though.
Um, and my words made no impression upon you? Tough crowd tonight.

My Words are my ART

xDJDroidx

23 Jan 2015

xDJDroidx wrote:I always though "flange" was invented by an engineer (who exactly did it first I don't know) pressing his finger on the "flange" wheel of the recorder.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Precisely, but we are speaking of the word, not the technique. The subsequent popularity of the flanger may well be attributed to the John Lennon association.

Namahs Amrak wrote:it was Lennon who first
Namahs Amrak wrote:called
Namahs Amrak wrote: the technique "flanging"
Namahs Amrak wrote:
xDJDroidx wrote:The beetles quotes make interesting reading though.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Um, and my words made no impression upon you? Tough crowd tonight.

No, what I meant was, the beetles quotes opened my eyes to where the word/technique of "flanging" came from.

The rest of your post was also interesting........sorry I failed to mention it. :thumbup:

Dabbler

23 Jan 2015

I love the Beatles too. And I bought ARK specifically to use the Harmonium sounds in a cover of Cry Baby Cry.

Well I cried like a baby when the sample sounds nothing like the record.

Then I realized that they must have run the signal thru who knows what. Because if the ARK samples are accurate, and I believe they are, then my kung foo is very weak, No matter what I throw in the mix, I cannot get that White Album sound of that one short passage.

Nice thread Namahs.

Yorick

23 Jan 2015

-008' wrote:As far as the NNXT section,,.. Mellotron! :) Wasnt strawberry fields intended to be on splhcb, before it was released as a single? So technically, The Beatles had samplers too :) and our "outdated" NNXT is downright futuristic by comparison.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
I'm not suggesting there were not samplers, and as you rightly pointed out, there was the Mellotron, which was one of the 'in-house' instruments at Abbey Road Studios. But yes, the NN-XT kicks ass over anything from that time.

The Abbey Road Mellotron is available in a Refill, but you probably know that already. I'm just stating this for others.

The Beatles have been a huge influence on my music, both directly and via so many artists they've influenced, I've owned a number of their albums in various formats, and yes I have the Abby Road Refill. It's fantastic. 

Check out this single acoustic guitar cover I did of "A Day In The Life" 

And there was that time I grabbed Ringo's vocals and made a 4/4 electronic remix of Yellow Submarine: 

And here's a version of "I've just seen a face/All you need is love" that I did with a singing student in her lesson a few years ago

http://youtu.be/1uRaaUxRI78

Such great songs. Timeless.

motuscott

23 Jan 2015

Stu wrote:Great post :-) Put me in mind of this video, deconstructing sgt pepper. Worth a listen if you haven't already http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5-Yxuc
Wait! SPLHCB 4 track in linear!?
Where are my pills?
This is a truly unique way of experiencing this landmark recordinging.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

tibah

23 Jan 2015

Great post!

Not sure if I should reply with Reason or Beatles love (or a bit of both). ;)

I like the attitude of complaining less and doing more and to remind ourselves, how grateful we should be about the possibilities software like Reason provides. Also, being in a part of the world to be able to afford it. I'm not a trained musician. I've limited knowledge about scales and mostly noodle in the same 2 or 3 and I don't do crazy stuff within the circle of fifths, but I love sound-design, creating scapes and emotion.

Somewhat related and an alike reminder for myself is the E-mu SP 1200. A sampler released in 1987. Not only having 12bit converters, but also very limited sampling time. People had to speed up records and then slow down the samples inside the sampler to compensate. A huge mess when it came to slicing as well. It ain't as limited as producing in 1967, but like I said, this is a little reminder for myself to moan less.

atitlan

23 Jan 2015

I've always been a big Beatles fan.  In my teens Sgt Peppers was a permanent fixture in my top 10 albums regardless of other fluctuations in my taste.  Nowadays I prefer Revolver - it's where all the techniques used in Sgt Peppers were devised and to me the songwriting is better.  

Sgt Pepper would certainly have been a better album if 'Strawberry Fields' and 'Penny Lane' hadn't been released as a non-album single.

One of George Martin's masterstrokes in the mid 60s was to recognise that in some ways the Beatles were moving into areas that were beyond him and that they needed an engineer that was on their wavelength - it's no accident that Geoff Emerick got a credit on the sleeve of Revolver when such things were virtually unknown.  His ability to translate the Beatles' ideas into technical reality were invaluable.

The book 'The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions' is an absolute goldmine of information about how those mid to late 60s album were put together.  

It's interesting that the OP mentions backwards parts.  In some respects it's actually easier on tape that in the DAW.  Recording something in a DAW and reversing it is really easy, but for good backwards parts you need to record in the opposite direction to the rest of your track, so in a DAW you'd need to reverse all the tracks already laid down, record forwards, and then reverse everything again - not so easy when a lot of tracks are midi; easier if you're 100% audio.

I'm as guilty as most for looking for the next interesting piece of kit, whereas in reality I'm sure most of us are actually suffering far more from choice paralysis than a need for new kit.

Yorick

23 Jan 2015

Stu wrote:Great post :-) Put me in mind of this video, deconstructing sgt pepper. Worth a listen if you haven't already http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5-Yxuc
motuscott wrote: Wait! SPLHCB 4 track in linear!?
Where are my pills?
This is a truly unique way of experiencing this landmark recordinging.
Wait... who first posted this? From Master stripes? This is amazing.

I love how this sort of stuff is coming out now. Isolated vocals and stuff.
The vocal split of "Under Pressure" by Mercury and Bowie is unbelievable. So powerful.

This is fantastic Stu, thanks for posting. Wow.

Yorick

23 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote: It's interesting that the OP mentions backwards parts.  In some respects it's actually easier on tape that in the DAW.  Recording something in a DAW and reversing it is really easy, but for good backwards parts you need to record in the opposite direction to the rest of your track, so in a DAW you'd need to reverse all the tracks already laid down, record forwards, and then reverse everything again - not so easy when a lot of tracks are midi; easier if you're 100% audio.
Just bounce out the mix, make a new session, import and reverse the stereo mix file, play in your part, then bounce it out, import it back into the original session, and then reverse the new part. :)

atitlan

23 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote: It's interesting that the OP mentions backwards parts.  In some respects it's actually easier on tape that in the DAW.  Recording something in a DAW and reversing it is really easy, but for good backwards parts you need to record in the opposite direction to the rest of your track, so in a DAW you'd need to reverse all the tracks already laid down, record forwards, and then reverse everything again - not so easy when a lot of tracks are midi; easier if you're 100% audio.
Yorick wrote:
Just bounce out the mix, make a new session, import and reverse the stereo mix file, play in your part, then bounce it out, import it back into the original session, and then reverse the new part. :)

Still a bit hassle-y compared to 4-track cassette - turn the thing over; record on track 2 for 3; 4 for 1 etc; turn back over; job done.  Not saying it isn't easy in the digital world, but I think that round goes to good old tape :)

Yorick

23 Jan 2015

atitlan wrote: Still a bit hassle-y compared to 4-track cassette - turn the thing over; record on track 2 for 3; 4 for 1 etc; turn back over; job done.  Not saying it isn't easy in the digital world, but I think that round goes to good old tape :)
Well you may lose a bit of time opening and shutting and processing the reverses, sure, but compare that to the time lost winding it off the spool and putting it back on, then waiting for tape to rewind after each take etc. I grew up on tape, and did do reverse stuff with it, but I much prefer DAWs.

Have you seen the Kontakt instrument "REV" which is dedicated solely to reversed sounds btw?

http://outputsounds.com/

http://youtu.be/8WlzL8dJkgk

offaxisdaddy

23 Jan 2015

Great topic! Lots of great info - George Martin IMHO is the greatest asset the Beatles could have hoped for. Here is an example something most of us would gate, inaudible in the mix until you know it's there.  8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiIxiF- ... e=youtu.be

atitlan

23 Jan 2015

To bring things back to 60s recordings.  From 67-68 I'm also a big fan on The Moody Blues - 'In Search of the Lost Chord' and 'On the Threshold of a Dream' are great examples of the time; tend to be overlooked due to the fact that the Moody Blues only ever seem to be mentioned in relation to 'Nights In White Satin'.  I think they were probably 8-track rather than 4-track recordings. though.

The place to go for mellotron!  

JNeffLind

23 Jan 2015

Amen. I've told myself I'm going to keep from falling down the Reasontalk rabbit hole today since I've been a bit lax in my work habits the last couple days, but I'll just contribute that I'm currently reading an 800 page book deconstructing the theory behind the songwriting of the Beatles. Best theory book I've ever read. "The Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles" by Dominic Pedler. Requires an encyclopedic knowledge of the Beatles to get full value, but I was raised on those cheeky Liverpudlian lads. 

Great music doesn't come from great gear, it comes from great musicians. Period. Full Stop. End of discussion.

For a contemporary example check out "The Mountain Goats". It's just one guy name John Darnielle who recorded his first few albums by pressing the record button on a boom box. I believe 90% of "All Hail West Texas" was done this way and it's one of my favorite albums of all time.  

eusti

23 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:

You can still buy it though...
Here for instance: http://www.proaudiostar.com/propellerhe ... efill.html

D.

• Information