Midi Mapping Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

23 Jan 2015

I am attempting to do something a bit, well... strange. I guess that's my specialty.

I am controlling the assignable rotary on an EMI by programming it in a combinator. I want to send the MIDI out of the EMI and then loop it back in so it can control the tempo in the transport bar. My issue is: how do I control the range of tempo that can be applied? I want it to be constrained from 30 BPM to 480 BPM, but the midi will be applied to the full range (999) unless specified by parameters of a knob on the controller editor for my hardware.

Is it possible to set this up on the controller editor so that the MIDI is "filtered" by the control surface, or is there another/better way of doing this that I'm not aware of or considering?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

electrofux

23 Jan 2015

You probably map the looped back midi via remote overrides?

If you write a small codec instead then i think you have more options to constrain the values. But it is more work and knowledge needed.

Raveshaper

23 Jan 2015

I believe you are correct about developing my own codec for this.

I can get my head around mapping the tempo using a remote override to control it from the looped EMI output, but I haven't figured out how to constrain the values to the range of 30 to 480 within the codec. Maybe I'm a bit off the mark here.

Writing custom codecs for MIDI hardware reminds me of wiring CV...if doing that meant using DOS.   :comp:
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information