So is this indicative of the quality of what will be on Discover?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

23 Jan 2015

FrankJaeger wrote:...
I understand taking a quick note of an idea but if he did it from his phone he could have just as easily used "voice memo" or something similar without the need to upload it. If it was done in Reason then he probably needs to come up with a new hobby. If he's a troll then well, that's to be expected with things like this.
jfrichards wrote:
There are numerous plausible reasons why that whistling is there.  He/she could have been doing a quick check of how the whole upload/download between softwares goes, or to see how long it takes in his/her location at the time, or to see the quality when not paying attention to it, or pulling over and whistling a dramatic centerpiece of a piece that's stuck in his/her mind, or because apparently, you can't delete your uploads yet, or because he/she doesn't know you can set a clip to private, or because he/she woke up in the middle of the night with a melodic idea and had to get it down quick and just hit the record button, or because he/she is not as smart as all the experts on this forum.
I'm not saying that anyone on here nor myself is smarter than that individual, I'm just saying uploading a clip called "my music" with nothing but a whistle and quite a bit of background noise will waste people's time who actually end up thinking it's a legitimate track. That might very well be what happened to the OP which is why he posted it here in the first place.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

LudvigC
Reason Studios

24 Jan 2015

I'm just saying uploading a clip called "my music" with nothing but a whistle and quite a bit of background noise will waste people's time who actually end up thinking it's a legitimate track.

If you feel your time is wasted, then just don't look at the "Latest Uploads" feed, stick to the curated feeds.

Why do you expect everything people upload should be "legitimate tracks"? That's not the point at all. I expect to see anything from spoken word to ambient sounds and kick samples. 99% of things will probably be pointless to me but now and again I'll stumble on something that is useful, or inspires me or makes me want to see what else that user has made.

And the interesting thing is that this four-note whistle actually sparked something for me resulting in a piece of music (and more importantly, made me spend an hour creating instead of watching TV). That's more than most uploaded EDM, dubstep, house or hiphop tracks would have done, no matter how "legitimate".

/ LudvigC

Jagwah

24 Jan 2015

Jagwah wrote:It's actually kind of cool when everyone takes on the same sample.
Namahs Amrak wrote: In this instance, the only people doing so are Propellerhead staff. How convenient, considering the launch of Discover was only two days ago. Thank you so much, from our friends at Propellerhead. I'm Done with this joke of a thread.
I feel ya man. He we are a large group of people discussing all these different topics critically but every time a Prop comments it's the exact same thing - everything is utterly fantastic and we just have the wrong idea. There is a hint of bias there to say the least, but there's enough people talking openly here for that to not matter.

Theo.M

24 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:And here I wad expecting the love fest for Propellerhead to be reduced. Its clear that NOBODY for the COMMUNITY has the ability to be creative when there are strict parameter set.

Sorry but I am not interested in your challenge. It's nothing personal but I had already decided what i was doing and then you decided on the challenge.

Discover is not just about taking one sample and turning IT into the sole centrepiece of a 1 minute sample piece of music..

it's about doing *whatever* one WANTS with that sample, that's the whole point of discover, one can incorporate it in their music however they like. When I use sample CD's i don't choose something and challenge myself for the hell of it to make something out of it, I use the sample in a way that suits the music.

So my song is being worked on, the way I want to do it, which will feature the whistle, and I will post it when done.

Yorick

24 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: In this instance, the only people doing so are Propellerhead staff. How convenient, considering the launch of Discover was only two days ago. Thank you so much, from our friends at Propellerhead. I'm Done with this joke of a thread.
Jagwah wrote: I feel ya man. He we are a large group of people discussing all these different topics critically but every time a Prop comments it's the exact same thing - everything is utterly fantastic and we just have the wrong idea. There is a hint of bias there to say the least, but there's enough people talking openly here for that to not matter.
Namahs Amrak wrote:And here I wad expecting the love fest for Propellerhead to be reduced. Its clear that NOBODY for the COMMUNITY has the ability to be creative when there are strict parameter set.
Theo.M wrote:

Sorry but I am not interested in your challenge. It's nothing personal but I had already decided what i was doing and then you decided on the challenge.

Discover is not just about taking one sample and turning IT into the sole centrepiece of a 1 minute sample piece of music..

it's about doing *whatever* one WANTS with that sample, that's the whole point of discover, one can incorporate it in their music however they like. When I use sample CD's i don't choose something and challenge myself for the hell of it to make something out of it, I use the sample in a way that suits the music.

So my song is being worked on, the way I want to do it, which will feature the whistle, and I will post it when done.

Can we chill out guys please? :s0403:

1. The lads from Propellerheads can't be expected to criticise their employer and keep their jobs. But they're still human beings with feelings who are contributing to our community. Can we be a little more understanding of their situation and mindful that they're as likely as the next person to get upset at personal criticism. Well, as likely as the next creative person to get upset. :s0225:

2. Theo, so what if Karma put up some restrictions on a challenge he proposed? It's all informal anyway. Just do what you want with it and share it whether or not it meets any criteria. We should all be sharing more music, not less. For no reason other than we're musicians who communicate with music. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Theo.M

24 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:
Jagwah wrote: I feel ya man. He we are a large group of people discussing all these different topics critically but every time a Prop comments it's the exact same thing - everything is utterly fantastic and we just have the wrong idea. There is a hint of bias there to say the least, but there's enough people talking openly here for that to not matter.
Yorick wrote:
Theo.M wrote:

Yorick wrote:

Can we chill out guys please? :s0403:

1. The lads from Propellerheads can't be expected to criticise their employer and keep their jobs. But they're still human beings with feelings who are contributing to our community. Can we be a little more understanding of their situation and mindful that they're as likely as the next person to get upset at
Yorick wrote:personal
Yorick wrote: criticism. Well, as likely as the next
Yorick wrote:creative
Yorick wrote: person to get upset. :s0225:

2. Theo, so what if Karma put up some restrictions on a challenge he proposed? It's all informal anyway. Just do what you want with it and share it whether or not it meets any criteria. We should all be sharing more music, not less. For no reason other than we're musicians who communicate with music. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Chill out? since i was quoted there also i presume that meant me. I wasn't even ever so tinily slightly un-chilled in that post. 

as far as the comp, sure, anyone who wants to enter Namrah's challenge, go for it. I was just saying I wasn't, and that post was written to Namrah. 

jappe

24 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote:So I'm guessing we found the reason why the forums were shut down.
Whatever props resources and staff oversaw the monitoring and slight moderation will now be on Discover duty sifting out all the morons that downloaded Take and thought it would be great to fart into their phone to a generic hip hop beat.

That can actually be easily avoided, by allowing the community to down-vote or spam-vote contribution and hiding or locking that content automatically.

jappe

24 Jan 2015

LudvigC wrote:OK, here's what I heard in that whistle:

http://phead.mu/s/zeZUCR5p

No masterpiece but it's interesting to see what can happen in an hour if you get inspired. Excuses: Headphones, laptop in lap, onscreen keyboard and stock Reason devices only.
Beautiful.

Julibee

24 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote:So I'm guessing we found the reason why the forums were shut down.
Whatever props resources and staff oversaw the monitoring and slight moderation will now be on Discover duty sifting out all the morons that downloaded Take and thought it would be great to fart into their phone to a generic hip hop beat.

jappe wrote: That can actually be easily avoided, by allowing the community to down-vote or spam-vote contribution and hiding or locking that content automatically.
Honestly, there are a couple of posts in this thread that I would have pulled the thumbs down on.

Look, we get it. We're all artists, we all have egos the size of the moon and opinions to match. It's OK to disagree! We don't have to all have the same opinons! In fact, I'm glad we don't all have the same opinions or we'd all be bored to tears.

I have a great respect (and in some cases, a new-found respect) for many of you-- let's not destroy it in the first week, yes?
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

JNeffLind

24 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote: Honestly, there are a couple of posts in this thread that I would have pulled the thumbs down on. Look, we get it. We're all artists, we all have egos the size of the moon and opinions to match. It's OK to disagree! We don't have to all have the same opinons! In fact, I'm glad we don't all have the same opinions or we'd all be bored to tears. I have a great respect (and in some cases, a new-found respect) for many of you-- let's not destroy it in the first week, yes?
Funny story. Yesterday I posted a thread titled "A call for sanity and patience" and somehow the thread disappeared. The ghost of PUF is haunting us! WATCH OUT!!!

• Information