Collaboration Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DinoJ

31 Dec 1969

I was wondering if someone could help me understand if the following is possible? Both me and my friend have Reason 7.1. I have gone a bit crazy in the shop this last week and bought quite a few new Rack Extensions. The only problem I have now though is that my friend does not have quite a few of them and likely is not going to be buying some of the ones I bought anytime soon. This has kind of thrown a spanner in the works with me taking any of my projects that include these new toys round to his house for him to look at, help me with and collaborate on. Now I know he could just come round to my mine but for reasons I don't need to go into here, this is often just not practical. On top of this he has a vastly superior home studio setup as he been doing this for a good few years and I have only just really started. So my question, is there a way I can temporarily use my Rack Extensions with my projects at his house? Does the USB Ignition Key allow for this as well as offline use? <span style=

Yorick

22 Jan 2015

Just make audio splits of the tracks with rack extensions on them, so they aren't needed.

tibah

22 Jan 2015

Best way would be internet verification in my book. I pretty much installed my whole setup over at a friend's place in 2014 for 2 days without any problems.

The issue you are going to face is that Reason will read your friends license from the source he did put it on, Ignition Key, Balance or using the software Authorizer to directly write it onto the computer itself. So no matter what you do, he first has to temporarily remove it and you could use yours, then download and sync your Rack Extensions from your account. Also you won't get the pop-up for internet verification with a full license already attached. Then do the same step once you're going back so he will be using his license again. Might be a little cumbersome.

For the time being you also just could remind yourself of only using the stock devices, and incorporate additional sounds made with Rack Extensions as audio! :D

4filegate

22 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote:Just make audio splits of the tracks with rack extensions on them, so they aren't needed.
audio bounce
create a audio track and record your RE instruments, studio & creative FX or external source
audio bounce not so flexible editable like a midi - perhaps if it didn't need (others can't make crazy things with yours creations)

in one run with MASTER FX = Bounce Mixer Channels
Attachments
Bounce_Mixer_Channels.PNG
Bounce_Mixer_Channels.PNG (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

DinoJ

22 Jan 2015

Thank you all for your responses!

I am fairly new to Reason but have played around with the audio bounce feature in my efforts to learn through playing around with it. Just can't believe I did not put two and two together in my mind and see that this could be a solution to my problem!  :s0959:

I also like the idea of temporarily installing my licence on his machine, though I can see how this is a little cumbersome, it would still be worth it from time to time to show him what I have done with some of the RE's I have bought and how I approached something. I was concerned that this might not be an option through the software security and did not want to screw up his licence or mine, feel reassured though IchMensch, so thanks.

Thanks again to all, really appreciate your replies!  :s0826:

sinnerfire

22 Jan 2015

Buy a MBP, seriously, i travel far and wide with my MBP and it never lets me down when i collab with friends.

You can plug the MBP straight into your friends studio set up via the headphone port or if they use an audio interface, use the USB port.

If you have to leave a copy of the Reason track on your friends computer so they can work on it when your not around, Yorics advice works great.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

• Information