Reason 8.1 & above CPU Stress Test (songfile included)!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Neko the Jaguar

13 Jul 2015

I just upgraded to 8.3 from 7.whatever it was on. Never, ever had a problem unless I had 10 projects up at once. All of a sudden, this crap pops up. I'm just on a cheap laptop, but again, never had any issues. Is upgrading to a desktop build really worth the cost? Or is this something that is going to get fixed? Seems like alot of people are having problems no matter what computer you have.

deepndark

13 Jul 2015

CPU: Intel i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire PRO 14
44100Hz, 2048 samples (max)
Windows 7 64 bit
CPU usage limit @ 95%
Playback stops @ 13.1.3.162 / 0:00:24:335

GeiddE

14 Jul 2015

FUnny
if I just let it sit while having dinner, it says its too slow to play song
even if nothings plaing on a simple 8-track !

No test files or reason 8 were harmed during this observation
R7 on WIN8.1 i7
:(

keeverw

14 Jul 2015

CPU: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: Motu MicroBook
44100Hz, 1653 samples (max)
OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.3
CPU usage limit @ 95%
Playback stops @ 1.4.4.72 / 0:00:01:913
Also the OS and Reason are both installed on a 250GB SSD SATA

I am a little disappointed by these results. I really expected better.

I have done nothing to optimize my MacBookPro for audio, because this is my first Mac and I'm not sure even how, and I haven't looked into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have a Motu 896Mk3 I could try to see if my interface is my weak link, but I doubt that is it.

edit: maybe that is it. I just tried it with the built-in soundcard, and I got much further. Strange...

deepndark

15 Jul 2015

Does anyone of you know, how to optimize your computer - without running to problems?
I have 16 GB RAM, but I'm more interested of CPU optimizing. The - Advanced System Care program is a no no, it screwes up your computer (it did when I used it few years ago). But is there any safe software to optimize the CPU? I think I'll google a bit . . .

I also would like to get an answer for this question: Why do the softwares like Reason require more and more CPU? We could play a whole tune with one core before, but now it can't even run your OS.

deepndark

15 Jul 2015

I choosed the "best performance" i.e. disabled the aero and all the other visual settings.
I also defagmenetd my harddrives, cleaned the chunk files (with the CC-Cleaner) and uninstalled all the programs i don't need.

The results: The test file run about 2 seconds longer. it stopped at ( 0:00:26:331 ).
My computer is fast enough to let me finish my tracks without worryng too much.

keeverw

15 Jul 2015

deepndark wrote:I choosed the "best performance" i.e. disabled the aero and all the other visual settings.
I also defagmenetd my harddrives, cleaned the chunk files (with the CC-Cleaner) and uninstalled all the programs i don't need.

The results: The test file run about 2 seconds longer. it stopped at ( 0:00:26:331 ).
That's the thing, I've run what I think are pretty complex songs, and I've never had so much as a hiccup. I would never have a song with as much going on as this test song, so it's irrelevant.

But...I do wonder why my system did so poorly.
I know it's not the best, but I thought it would at least do 10 seconds or so.

With my Motu Microbook, I got like 2 seconds.
With my Motu 896Mk3 I got about 3 seconds.
With the internal soundcard on my MacBookPro, I got about 6 seconds.
And when I used the HDMI audio output to the HDTV I have connected, it got about 8 seconds.

I have the Aero and visual settings disabled too, as of last night, and it made no difference.

deepndark

15 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:
deepndark wrote:I choosed the "best performance" i.e. disabled the aero and all the other visual settings.

That's the thing, I've run what I think are pretty complex songs, and I've never had so much as a hiccup. I would never have a song with as much going on as this test song, so it's irrelevant.

But...I do wonder why my system did so poorly.
I know it's not the best, but I thought it would at least do 10 seconds or so.

With my Motu Microbook, I got like 2 seconds.
With my Motu 896Mk3 I got about 3 seconds.
With the internal soundcard on my MacBookPro, I got about 6 seconds.
And when I used the HDMI audio output to the HDTV I have connected, it got about 8 seconds.

I have the Aero and visual settings disabled too, as of last night, and it made no difference.
I must say that your specs seem like you'd do better indeed. My 26 seconds compaed to your few seconds is weird.

gak

15 Jul 2015

Something is up with it. If you go back and read my first test it was about normal (though I had hoped for better). Long story short I tried it recently with 8.3 and it was much much worse.. But my projects all work as expected (confused)

selig
RE Developer

15 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
tumar wrote:Today I got my new whizbang shiny iMac and I'm broken - test file run only 0:00:36:734 (position 19.2.2.209). Hey! This machine has hyperthreading!  :mad:

iMac 27
8 gb ram
i7 3.5 ghz
1024 bufor
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP

Reason and Safari with two tabs
You're lucky - I only get to bar 13 (24 seconds) with my 3.4 mHz i7 iMac from a few years back. :frown:
Update: (Reason 8.3)
Running the test on a new iMac I get 34 seconds with a 1024 buffer, and 44 seconds at 4096 samples.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
OSX: 10.10.4
Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Selig Audio, LLC

keeverw

16 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
selig wrote:
tumar wrote:Today I got my new whizbang shiny iMac and I'm broken - test file run only 0:00:36:734 (position 19.2.2.209). Hey! This machine has hyperthreading!  :mad:

iMac 27
8 gb ram
i7 3.5 ghz
1024 bufor

You're lucky - I only get to bar 13 (24 seconds) with my 3.4 mHz i7 iMac from a few years back. :frown:
Running the test on a new iMac I get 34 seconds with a 1024 buffer, and 44 seconds at 4096 samples.
Can I ask if you have done anything as far as settings go to optimize this machine for Audio production?

keeverw

16 Jul 2015

Here is a thought about my setup.

I am using USB ports for two midi controller keyboards, and also my audio interface.
My 896Mk3 has firewire and USB, currently I'm using USB. Would it help speed things up to switch that over to firewire. Maybe take some load off of the USB bus?

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:
selig wrote:
selig wrote: You're lucky - I only get to bar 13 (24 seconds) with my 3.4 mHz i7 iMac from a few years back. :frown:
Can I ask if you have done anything as far as settings go to optimize this machine for Audio production?
No, as I'm not aware of any settings that are user adjustable and would increase performance - am I missing anything I should know about?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

keeverw

16 Jul 2015

selig wrote: No, as I'm not aware of any settings that are user adjustable and would increase performance - am I missing anything I should know about?
Just trying to figure out why I'm having poor results.

Neko the Jaguar

16 Jul 2015

keeverw wrote:
selig wrote: No, as I'm not aware of any settings that are user adjustable and would increase performance - am I missing anything I should know about?
Just trying to figure out why I'm having poor results.
Its not your setup. Its Reason 8. I just upgraded the other day, and have had nothing but problems. I can barely run 4 racks before it just stops. Before, when I was on 7, I was running at least twice as many, with no problems at all.

keeverw

16 Jul 2015

But everyone in this thread is running REason 8, right?
And most are getting more than a crackly, poppy, 2 seconds.

Koncide

18 Jul 2015

Macbook Pro 15inch Mid 2012 Model
CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: Core Audio
44100Hz, 1024 samples
OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.3
CPU usage limit @ 95%
Playback stops @ 9.2.1.17 / 0:00:16:503

Getting roughly the same results running a Scarlett 2i2 interface.
Ambient garage vibes.

zakalwe

27 Jul 2015

Kategra wrote:This is a continuation of the R7 stress topics that where posted by EnochLight and me. If needed we can resurrect the R7+ stress song, but in a different topic.
hi. any chance you could re-up the reason 7 version, please? i want to benchmark my hackintosh to see how far i can push it at low latencies since we have a lot of mac/PC discussion at the moment.

Theo.M

27 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
selig wrote:

iMac 27
8 gb ram
i7 3.5 ghz
1024 bufor

wow that really goes to show how strange it is that I can get 28 seconds on a 2.3 ghz ivy bridge 3 yo windows laptop, without a single pop or click right the the point the overload message comes.

That's scary and confirms everything I have been saying about macs and reason performance.

If a brand new 4ghz haswell imac can only get 34 seconds! (i am talking about 1024 results).

Giles can you do me a favour when you get some time and test the mac at 128 samples, and tell me at what seconds the pops and crackles start?

I was able to get 24 seconds on the windows machine at 128 buffer with no props or crackles at all until it dropped out.

The retina 2.5 ghz macbook gets 40 seconds but with degraded rice crispy audio the whole way.

But how does a 2.5ghz retina macbook get more than a 4ghz imac? I am totally stunned by your results Giles.

What I really need to see now are results for a 4ghz desktop windows machine ;)

Edit: found 4ghz modern processor windows results, are in line with what i expected. Almost double the imac.
Last edited by Theo.M on 27 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Theo.M

27 Jul 2015

riemac wrote:I think Propellerhead should implement better CPU optimisation in the next upgrade, which uses all available cores.

It is so frustrating, that a Reason song stops and the 4'th core off a Quadcore CPU isn't used at all.

By the way, is it normal that with a Quadcore CPU which has 8 virtual Cores in the taskmanager Reason
uses only 3 virtual Cores. The taskmanager shows me 35% CPU usage and the CPU meter in Reason is on max. 

that's correct - that is why reason can't match other daw's for ultimate plug in count - it only processes them on 3 of the 8 threads (in a case of a 4 core hyperthreaded i7).

EnochLight

27 Jul 2015

Theo.M wrote:
riemac wrote:I think Propellerhead should implement better CPU optimisation in the next upgrade, which uses all available cores.

It is so frustrating, that a Reason song stops and the 4'th core off a Quadcore CPU isn't used at all.

By the way, is it normal that with a Quadcore CPU which has 8 virtual Cores in the taskmanager Reason
uses only 3 virtual Cores. The taskmanager shows me 35% CPU usage and the CPU meter in Reason is on max. 

that's correct - that is why reason can't match other daw's for ultimate plug in count - it only processes them on 3 of the 8 threads (in a case of a 4 core hyperthreaded i7).
Here's a fun experiment for those on a Hyperthreaded machine: slap together a hefty project with lots of audio tracks - ones with lots and lots of audio tracks. Then try changing the tempo to an absurdly low tempo - like 2 BPM - and see how long it takes for Reason to completely stretch all audio.

Undo your tempo change and save the project.

Now, turn off Hyperthreading (usually done in your motherboard BIOS), open your project, and drop the tempo to 2 BPM again and wait and see how long it takes to stretch all of the audio. ;)

Reason may not use all core threads for DSP, but it sure does use them for high quality stretch and resample, disc i/o, and GUI stuff.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

keeverw

04 Aug 2015

keeverw wrote:Just trying to figure out why I'm having poor results.
Just did a fresh install of OSX Yosemite, and then Reason, then RE's and Refills.
Ran the test with internal soundcard.

Got almost 9 seconds!!

Before the wipe/reinstall, I got almost 2 seconds.

gak

26 Aug 2015

Wake the dead!

So, I'm going to bore everyone to tears and repost all of it....yes all of it!
CPU: Intel i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz (no overclocking)
RAM: 16 GB
Soundcard: Focusrite pro 14 (FW)
44100Hz, 1024 buffer
CPU usage limit @ 95%
Stops at 18.3.3 or roughly 36 seconds.

Not good imho.

I'm starting to think I have viddy problems.
won't work at all in 8.3 82

win764
16gb ram
(this was a beta)
Ok, I'm starting to be VERY confused. I just optimized my settings (some video stuff that was obviously an issue) and it is helping in my "general" performance. But I ran the 8.2 test again with the same settings and got WAY worse performance.

Now I'm just paranoid. There has to be a logical reason for the discrepancy, but there isn't one I'm aware of. And considering how poorly (not even at all) 8.3 ran, I don't have any idea how to proceed.
Well, currently I'm not the foremost authority anyways. I thought I had this thing ticking like a fine oiled machine a few weeks ago.......now I don't know what the heck is going on. Nothing keeping me from making music, but strange stuff indeed.
Something is up with it. If you go back and read my first test it was about normal (though I had hoped for better). Long story short I tried it recently with 8.3 and it was much much worse.. But my projects all work as expected (confused)
(now I've done a clean install with win 10, about 20 seconds with 128 buffer, move the buffer to 1024, get 17 seconds)

One thing that is different is reason 8.3. Started with the beta (impossibly bad, but it was beta) and now despite everything I've tried it is the ONLY REAL CULPRIT.

@guy with the 1000 buck cpu who got through the song.... (censored) :lol:

gak

26 Aug 2015

So now I'm at the cross roads:

Get an updated chip (which means a new mobo) or put up with it and call uncle. I'm at unc right now. Looking into other chips that were not available when I got mine is confusing. You can get more physical cores for a good price, but the GHZ goes down. More cores doesn't always mean better performance. I don't do overclocking :x

EnochLight

26 Aug 2015

gak wrote:So now I'm at the cross roads:

Get an updated chip (which means a new mobo) or put up with it and call uncle. I'm at unc right now. Looking into other chips that were not available when I got mine is confusing. You can get more physical cores for a good price, but the GHZ goes down. More cores doesn't always mean better performance. I don't do overclocking :x
I'd wait and see if the next version of Reason fixes your performance issues first before dropping cash on a new box, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information