~~~~[?uestion] Reason 8 can't do Sound Preview?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
liuheng2982

21 Jan 2015

:s0106:

Hello, I have a question about the reason 8 Creat new Instrument.

I was using reason 5 before,and just get my new reason 8 in few days.

In reason 5, when I wanna hear a sound preview(Patch) in Creating a new instrument, I just need to select that and play my midi keyboard and can get the sound preview. But in Reason 8, When I select the sound patch, there is not ant sound when I play my midi keyboard.(but when the sound is WAV or REX , I can hear it when I select that), the thing I can do only is select that , and creat it in my rack or drop it to the rack.This is the ony way I can hear the sound, and fi I wanna change the sound, I only need to load it , then I can get the sound.

So MY question is this the only way I can do that? or there are some mistake when I use that?

Thank you so much for all you help

Heng
All About The MUSIC!~

liuheng2982

21 Jan 2015

!! After Trying I found a way!  For the Mouse click there is no effect, but when I use keyboard "Up Down" botton, It works~ Finally

Sharing with all reason guys~
All About The MUSIC!~

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

Hi Heng and welcome to Reasontalk!

Reason 8's browser does behave quite differently from earlier versions.
I still haven't fully embraced it...
When you click the open button on a device, it will have browse focus enabled. Now you should be able to browse patches like before. If not, double clicking should do the trick.
Also check the Manual. It is really well written, and informs you about all the changes that happened since R5.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

InavigableHeart

21 Jan 2015

I really wasn't into the double clicking. Why add another click!?!? JP had a good battle with Mattias on the PUF over this, hehe.

... one of several reasons I didn't upgrade.

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

InavigableHeart wrote:I really wasn't into the double clicking. Why add another click!?!? JP had a good battle with Mattias on the PUF over this, hehe.

... one of several reasons I didn't upgrade.
I understand that decision. For me it was in e production budget and I needed the amps, so I went along.
Also I have much better things to do than complaining about features in software... Like... Complaining about people complaining about features in software...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

liuheng2982

21 Jan 2015

Hello Fredhoven, Thank you for answering.

But For me it still have problem, Double click from the sound patched in the Browser really can make a sound, but it also make a new track into the sequence and rack, is there any way that I can hear the sound first and then after decide which sound I wanna use and then put it into the rack?

Thank you so much
All About The MUSIC!~

Gaja

21 Jan 2015

liuheng2982 wrote:Hello Fredhoven, Thank you for answering.

But For me it still have problem, Double click from the sound patched in the Browser really can make a sound, but it also make a new track into the sequence and rack, is there any way that I can hear the sound first and then after decide which sound I wanna use and then put it into the rack?

Thank you so much
Well ni
Not that I'm aware of. I usually create an empty combinator and press the load patch button, which will activate browse focus for this combinator. As soon as you change something else in the rack, sequencer or mixer, browse focus will be lost, and you have to select the combinator again. But with browse focus active, every patch you select should be loaded into the combinator (IIRC, I don't have Reason around me right now, so I can't confirm 100% yet - just how I remember it).
This is actually something that many people dislike about Reason's browser.
But then again the manual will explain it all nicely and clearly.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

jfrichards

21 Jan 2015

Hi Heng.  After using R8 for a while, I realized I have to pay a lot of attention to the browser focus, which is active when the orange highlighting is on top of the patch window icons for the device.  If you double click on a patch when the device patch window is not orange, R8 will create a whole new track and device and load that patch in it.  One time I did that numerous times and then saw six other devices with tracks had been created below the one I was trying to change!  Now I always look at the device patch window to make sure it's orange, and if it's not, I click on the device patch window folder icon or hit the little folder icon above the browser list when the device itself is highlighted.  If you just highlight the device (it will be bordered in blue) that will not change the browser focus.  Even dragging a patch onto a device will not change the focus (even though it changes the patch!).  Weird idiosyncracies that hopefully will be changed in 8.2.  For me, the new browser is worth it for the drag and drop stuff, although being a long-time Reason user, I still right click and scroll through the list about 5% of the time for patches.  One nice thing about the browser is being able to click the browser back arrow and see the previous lists in the browser history where you were a minute or two ago.  There's no real preview/cancel any more, you load and listen, then go back.  It doesn't bother me any more, and all the other stuff is very cool.

michal22

21 Jan 2015

Hello Fredhoven, Thank you for answering.

Thank you so much
That to me is a big obstacle and weakness R8.
I remained with R7
I choose the patch, load it, and then view the 100 other and pressing the "ESC" to return to the last one, which I enjoyed.
In r8 I had to copy the device to quickly return.
I prefer simple solutions.
For me, the R8 is not going to ease and improve the work for desktop computers.
R8 goes toward operating the touch for touch screens.
It is the aim of Propellerhead.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

• Information